BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-24-2021, 10:07 AM   #1
EK910
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

NRFT Tire Recommendations 2013 x3 35i M Sport

I am trying to decide on the best tire for my 2013 X3 35i M Sport .. I switched out of RFT to NRFT and got the Pirelli CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON .. and they were good ... However I drive my car hard lol and take corners like i am at the race track ... so I never felt that the Cinturato handled those corners well. The Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06 I have heard has soft sidewalls .. Open to advice suggestions
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 10:43 AM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Take a look at Michelin Pilot Sport tires, plenty of reviews on Tirerack website.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 01:32 PM   #3
andreigbs
Dr Drei
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3d

Garage List
'16 X3d  [0.00]
It sounds like you'll be going through tires pretty quickly then. So maybe I would look at bargain UHP tires instead. Contenders are Hankook, Cooper, even Kumho (which is incidentally what I ended up with, but for different reasons).

Here's TireRack info: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...RatingsReviews

I've had these for about 6 months now, they are a night and day difference compared to the stock Pirelli RFTs that had worn down past the bars.

Excellent ride characteristics, plenty of grip, decent winter performance and so far excellent wet grip/handling as well.

YMMV
      03-24-2021, 02:17 PM   #4
shumster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 13 X3 35i M | 09 Mazda RX8 R3

I don't think the performance of Pilot Sports can be disputed. I have PSSs on my RX8 R3 for the track and they are incredible.

For our X3 though I think i'll be going with Pilot Sport All Season 4s as they have a 70k KM treadwear warranty. We also have a winter set but I'm leaning towards the all-seasons for a bit more longevity.
Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      03-24-2021, 03:02 PM   #5
EK910
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shumster View Post
I don't think the performance of Pilot Sports can be disputed. I have PSSs on my RX8 R3 for the track and they are incredible.

For our X3 though I think i'll be going with Pilot Sport All Season 4s as they have a 70k KM treadwear warranty. We also have a winter set but I'm leaning towards the all-seasons for a bit more longevity.
Thank you .. so I am between the Michelin Cross Climate vs Pirelli Cinturato P7 vs the Pilot Sport All Season 4 .... now Like it said I drive my car hard, brake hard, take corners very seriously ( i think it shocks most men hahhaha - i grew up in Greece and we are very aggressive drivers) on the flip side i do like a smoother ride and less noise ... need to make a decision soon and get out of my winter tires ( I swap between 2 sets winter/all season).... I had the P7s before on the car and they worked however i wasnt in love with them.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 03:24 PM   #6
shumster
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK910 View Post
Thank you .. so I am between the Michelin Cross Climate vs Pirelli Cinturato P7 vs the Pilot Sport All Season 4 .... now Like it said I drive my car hard, brake hard, take corners very seriously ( i think it shocks most men hahhaha - i grew up in Greece and we are very aggressive drivers) on the flip side i do like a smoother ride and less noise ... need to make a decision soon and get out of my winter tires ( I swap between 2 sets winter/all season).... I had the P7s before on the car and they worked however i wasnt in love with them.
Guess you need to be on the track haha.

I think the PSA4s are probably the way to go then. They are very new but have been well received for their performance. They are the stock tire on the Corvette C8.

That being said, if you want absolute performance. Go for the Pilot Sport 4 (summer performance tire). It is the successor to the PSS (Pilot Super Sport). Pricey for sure but worth it for max performance.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 05:55 PM   #7
racey1979
Rep
Drives: F25 BMW X3 35D 2016

Quote:

I think the PSA4s are probably the way to go then. They are very new but have been well received for their performance. They are the stock tire on the Corvette C8.

That being said, if you want absolute performance. Go for the Pilot Sport 4 (summer performance tire). It is the successor to the PSS (Pilot Super Sport). Pricey for sure but worth it for max performance.
The Pilot Sport 4 S was the successor to the Pilot Super Sport, (or is that what you meant)? The regular Pilot Sport 4 is softer and more comfort orientated, which is perhaps a good thing on an SUV

I'm fitting the 4 S to our F25 35D as I can't find anywhere thats got any stock of the regular 4 in the correct sizes here in the U.K.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 06:45 AM   #8
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

I went with Firestone Indy500. Pretty happy with them. UHP and good value.
Appreciate 2
Wgosma806.00
scostu1623.00
      03-25-2021, 08:49 AM   #9
Bdavi011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 3.5i

I have the Michelin Pilot sport 4 all season and I am extremely satisfied with them.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 09:27 AM   #10
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
I went with Firestone Indy500. Pretty happy with them. UHP and good value.
had a set on my E39 sedan many years ago, nice tire and reasonably priced!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 01:02 PM   #11
shumster
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racey1979 View Post
The Pilot Sport 4 S was the successor to the Pilot Super Sport, (or is that what you meant)? The regular Pilot Sport 4 is softer and more comfort orientated, which is perhaps a good thing on an SUV

I'm fitting the 4 S to our F25 35D as I can't find anywhere thats got any stock of the regular 4 in the correct sizes here in the U.K.
Whoops 4 'S' yes! You think they could have come up with a better naming convention to avoid confusion!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 02:31 PM   #12
EK910
Rep

Quote:

thank you to everyone for their feedback... i ended up calling my service guy to order the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 AS .... decided on those as opposed to the straight Pilot sport 4s seeing as it is primarily a summer tire and living in Upstate NY where is has snowed in May lol I felt more comfortable with an all season during the spring/summer months ... then back to my winters in mid Fall thru winter. So I am curious to see how they handle heading in tmrw to get them put on ... probably going to try and push my car hard (X3 35i M) see how they handle...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 02:38 PM   #13
shumster
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
thank you to everyone for their feedback... i ended up calling my service guy to order the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 AS .... decided on those as opposed to the straight Pilot sport 4s seeing as it is primarily a summer tire and living in Upstate NY where is has snowed in May lol I felt more comfortable with an all season during the spring/summer months ... then back to my winters in mid Fall thru winter. So I am curious to see how they handle heading in tmrw to get them put on ... probably going to try and push my car hard (X3 35i M) see how they handle...

Right on, let us know. Planning to get them in a month or so.

Also have you found you are going through brakes like crazy driving that hard all the time?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 03:29 PM   #14
EK910
Rep

Quote:
Right on, let us know. Planning to get them in a month or so.

Also have you found you are going through brakes like crazy driving that hard all the time?
LMAO !! Always i just changed them out again a couple of months ago .. i unfortunately only trust the BMW dealership to change them out so it last time i had a broken back spring ugh which ended up costing me $800 to replace the back brakes .. oh well I still love it 2013 and all its a beast of a car

I will let you know how the new tires drive ...and how they handle ...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 05:26 PM   #15
shumster
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
LMAO !! Always i just changed them out again a couple of months ago .. i unfortunately only trust the BMW dealership to change them out so it last time i had a broken back spring ugh which ended up costing me $800 to replace the back brakes .. oh well I still love it 2013 and all its a beast of a car

haha how many miles do you figure you're getting before they're fried?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 10:34 PM   #16
the_saintusa
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3

Quote:

This will be the tire I put on my wife's x3 and my E63s when the current P Zeros wear out. Both cars run Nokian winter tires, but the 'all season' aspect is nice in the case of an early snow fall, or a late snow fall after I switch out the winter tires.

I just bought a set of the PSAS4 for my RX-7, as I needed a set of tires to move the vehicle. The current tires on it were 20 years old Long story Have not driven the RX-7 yet, hopefully in 2 weeks.

From what I read the PSAS4 will exceed the needs for my wife's x3, and my E63 is the winter car, but gets driven occasionally on road trips during the summer.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 10:35 PM   #17
the_saintusa
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3

Quote:

Definitely looking forward to your review
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 11:38 AM   #18
shumster
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_saintusa View Post
This will be the tire I put on my wife's x3 and my E63s when the current P Zeros wear out. Both cars run Nokian winter tires, but the 'all season' aspect is nice in the case of an early snow fall, or a late snow fall after I switch out the winter tires.

I just bought a set of the PSAS4 for my RX-7, as I needed a set of tires to move the vehicle. The current tires on it were 20 years old Long story Have not driven the RX-7 yet, hopefully in 2 weeks.

From what I read the PSAS4 will exceed the needs for my wife's x3, and my E63 is the winter car, but gets driven occasionally on road trips during the summer.
Let's see the RX7!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 02:11 PM   #19
EK910
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_saintusa View Post
Definitely looking forward to your review
Well I have had the Michelin Sport 4 AS on for over a week and I can honestly say this is the tire to beat....

Cornering - A+
Stopping in dry -A+
Stopping in wet - A+
Noise - A
Comfort - A

Now while they are brand new when stopped and then accelerating they grip the road amazingly and i am 0-60 in secs lol Is it possible to be in love with a tire hahaha I am .. loving these on my car .
Appreciate 0