BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Techron Fuel Additive/Cleaner

Anyone use the Techron fuel additive/cleaner in their F25 yet? Results?
      01-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
DavC5000
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw X3 28i

our cars are all brand new as long as you put in quality fuel there is no need to put that stuff in.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well, the instructions say to to use it every 3000 miles. Mine's at 17k miles -- I drive it, dunno what you do with yours. And, it's been available for a time for all BMW models, so thought some might have tried it out on he F25.
      01-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

At least in the US, it is my understanding a minimal additive/detergent package is required by law in all gasoline. This is to prevent degradation that can cause emission problems. I also understand all well known premium grade gasolines have an upgraded additive package. That being the case, imo, there is absolutely no reason to waste money and add unneccessary aftermarket additives. I also just don't like the idea of putting some techy sounding chemical (like Techron) in my engine without seeing some true independent testing that 1) its not harmful, 2) it actually does some good, and 3) it is actually needed.

I have a Z3 I purchased new in Nov 2002 with 53 miles on it. It now has 132k miles and runs like the day I drove it off the dealers lot. Of course it gets a Mobile 1 oil change every 8K miles or so and the engine is kept clean enough to eat of of it but there have been no additives and only brand names premium gasoline.

In my opinion, using additives in a well maintained car in good mechanical condition is a waste of money.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 05:45 AM   #5
jk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 x3 35i

bmw participates in this group: toptiergas
click on "retailers" to see which gas brands comply.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
renderfarmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 xDrive35i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Well, the instructions say to to use it every 3000 miles.
Who's instructions? The only mention of detergent in the 2012 user manual is this:

"Should you encounter driveability problems which you suspect could be related to the fuel you are using, we recommend that you respond by switching to a recognized high-quality brand such as gasoline that is advertised as Top Tier Detergent Gasoline."

BMW have a long term deal with BP for lubricants and the manual even says they recommend BP fuels by name (cross promotional thing, but nonetheless).

Techron is a Chevron product.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 09:32 PM   #7
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by renderfarmer View Post
Who's instructions? The only mention of detergent in the 2012 user manual is this:

"Should you encounter driveability problems which you suspect could be related to the fuel you are using, we recommend that you respond by switching to a recognized high-quality brand such as gasoline that is advertised as Top Tier Detergent Gasoline."

BMW have a long term deal with BP for lubricants and the manual even says they recommend BP fuels by name (cross promotional thing, but nonetheless).

Techron is a Chevron product.
Instructions on the "BMWGroup" product (or packaging) in the parts department at the dealership as well as a number of BMW info displays and pamphlets.
      02-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #8
DavC5000
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw X3 28i

well they are obviously going to put up signs in their parts department to try to make money but if it isnt even in the manual then i wouldnt worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

I think historically the gas additives weren't anything that special and not really needed in the fuel injected engines of years past, at least in areas that had quality gas that included detergents. However the more and more I read about these high pressure Direct Injection setups the more I am seeing actual pictures of enormous carbon build up in places where a normal fuel injected motor wouldn't get near the amount of build up. As more and more efficient DI setups hit the streets and start accumulating miles I am very interested to see how this play out. Furthermore, it would be interesting to know how this larger build up of carbon is potentially reduced due to using fuel additives.

Personally, I may give the wife's X3 a little fuel additive lovins. Snake oil.... maybe, just not enough evidence with these new motors.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
x3heh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
more I read about these high pressure Direct Injection setups the more I am seeing actual pictures of enormous carbon build up in places where
Is N52 direct injection? I thought it was the older tech. The turbo 4-banger is DI.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #11
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3heh View Post
Is N52 direct injection? I thought it was the older tech. The turbo 4-banger is DI.
N52 is port-injected.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #12
x3heh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda

Guess that explains why the N55 has better fuel economy than the N52.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #13
roundtree
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 F25 28i SB

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [10.00]
2012 BMW X3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
He said it was very common to see the 5-valve V6s have excessive carbon build up on the tops (the port side) of the (3) intake valves and to see injectors with partially clogged orifices. He strongly recommended using some additional fuel system cleaner.
Interestingly, in 1999 the majority of A4s were sold with the less powerful, less expensive 2L turbo 4-cyl. engine. According to the AUDI mechanic, those engines never had an “early” carbon build up problem and didn’t seem to need additional fuel system cleaners.
I don't suppose there was a difference like DI or PI between the Turbo-4s and the V6s?

Curious nonetheless and certainly the sort of helpful information these boards keep me coming back for.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #14
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
One more random data point I just remembered: Last year I visited a friend who was replacing a blown head gasket on his 2007 Subaru STI (port injected, high boost turbo 18 psi). He had 70K miles on the engine, which was always driven "hard", but also well maintained. Both heads were off and the cylinders, valves and piston tops were very clean with no significant build up of carbon of other "junk", just a thin, brown platina".. My friend was actually surprised it was so clean and said he only used Shell Premium gas and never had added any fuel system additives.

Go figure!
That's good to hear! I'm running a similar setup in an 08 Legacy that I use as my scca toy. It's tuned but I'm not quite hitting 18 psi, more like 16. I've never had to pull the head but when I do I hope I am pleasantly surprised as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #15
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

Personally, I wouldn't use it if you're not experiencing any problems. You still have low mileage on your vehicle so it's practically almost brand new.

Having said that, the Techron concentrate stuff is one of the more respected additives out there and it's available at most stores (even Wal-Mart). Chevron makes another bottle which is not Techron concrentrate, however it's not as good as the Techron concentrate bottle. My Audi has 130k miles on it and sometimes I'll feel a slight loss of power. I'll sometimes put the Techron concentrate in my fuel tank (sometimes repeatedly) and have noticed a slight improvement. Maybe it did clean out the carbon on my fuel injectors. Maybe it was my imagination. Who knows.

But I wouldn't use the stuff unless you're having problems and your car is somewhat old. It shouldn't harm a new vehicle, but it could be a waste of money if you don't need it. It's not cheap. Rarely Audo Zone will have buy one, get one free.
Appreciate 0