BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
only2s
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW x3 w/ Tech pkg

What should I do with non-zenon headlight?

Hi, folks.
I bought a 2012 X3 w/ tech pkg, but I didn't put the xenon lights on it.
Because I didn't know the xenon has angel eyes. I thought regular headlight has angel eyes. I thought the only diference between regular and xenon is brightness.
Should I go to the dealer to install the xenon headlight? Is there any internet shop I can buy xenon headlights for mnie? Please help me.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
jsplayin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by only2s View Post
Hi, folks.
I bought a 2012 X3 w/ tech pkg, but I didn't put the xenon lights on it.
Because I didn't know the xenon has angel eyes. I thought regular headlight has angel eyes. I thought the only diference between regular and xenon is brightness.
Should I go to the dealer to install the xenon headlight? Is there any internet shop I can buy xenon headlights for mnie? Please help me.
Changing from halogen to xenon would be quite costly, since you would need to get new housing, ballasts, xenon bulbs, most likely programming etc. You are looking at a ton of $. If it's just the angel eyes you want, you could get those aftermarket most likely. Although I'm not sure they make any specific for this car since most already come with them, but perhaps you could find some made for another model like the e46 and make those fit, that would be cheap at around $100. Also I would strongly suggest not getting aftermarket xenon bulbs into the halogen housing, that usually results in horrible glare for oncoming drivers. In all honesty I would suggest just being happy with what you have, most people will admire your nice x3 and won't care whether you have angel eyes or not.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

You can purchase Xenon lamps and power supplies the replace the stock halogen bulbs that will buy you the brightness and higher color temperature (blue color) as aftermarket replacements for around $150 or less per side. Of course that won't get you the LED "angel eye" daytime running lights or the legally required auto-leveling of the HID lights.

It is possible to order and install complete replacement Xenon assemblies, but the cost is around $600-$700 per side (plus labor). The part numbers (US only) for the non-adaptive assemblies are:

63117276995 (left)
63117276996 (right)

For the adaptive (steering) assemblies, expect to pay a lot more.

Also, please be aware that with the HID headlights, although there are (2) "angle eye" DRL rings per side, the inner headlight is a dummy. The low and high beams are both generated in the outer projector assembly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0