BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-17-2014, 11:22 PM   #1
droftrah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3 M40i

Garage List
Out of sync rear turn signals

This is an odd question and I'm hoping someone on here has any experience with this. I changed my turn and brake lights front and rear to leds from superbrightleds.com a while back and coded away the errors, they've been working great for over a year! But I've noticed a while ago as well that when both rear signals blink together (e.g.. flashers, lock and unlock blinks) the left bulb lights up and blinks just a split second sooner than the right side. They do not light up and turn off at the same time.. extremely close, but not synced.

I've decided to live with it for a while "hoping it would go away" because the problem is only evident when locking or unlocking the vehicle or using the flashers/hazards (which I never really do) but now I want to get this straightened out because my perfectionist side is starting to take over.

Note that the front signals blink perfectly in time in the same situations, and the brake lights light up in sync as well, this is just the rear signals doing this. All aftermarket led's have have had the warm and cold checks set to not active and "led" set to active in the FRM 3090 section. Thanks to anyone who may have some remote idea of what I'm talking about.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 06:41 AM   #2
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

LEDs usually have a simple current limiting circuit (sometimes just a resistor). It is possible that one of them is switching on slower than the other. If you swap the LEDs over and the delay swaps over, it is a difference in the LED. Otherwise, I can only think of a slightly poor earth contact in the lamp assembly.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfp View Post
LEDs usually have a simple current limiting circuit (sometimes just a resistor). It is possible that one of them is switching on slower than the other. If you swap the LEDs over and the delay swaps over, it is a difference in the LED. Otherwise, I can only think of a slightly poor earth contact in the lamp assembly.
^^ this is why these forums are great. Smart, helpful people. Compare and contrast with all the poisonous crap on Twitter, Facebook etc.