BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #23
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

The iceberg

Forums are the places where people bitch and whine about things that go wrong with whatever they bought - they rarely praise. What will be interesting to see are the various JD Power measures when they come out - Initial Satisfaction, and in about 2 years time reliability/dependability data. I suspect at this point the X3 is as reliable as any other brand new vehicle within the first 12 months of sales.

Inevitably if you buy any new vehicle within the first 12 months you take a risk as there's no data to show reliability. You have a choice to take that risk or to play safe and buy something that's been on the market long enough to have hard data. You can bitch and moan but you had a choice, and you chose to buy a X3 knowing those risks. Caveat emptor I believe still applies...
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #24
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
Forums are the places where people bitch and whine about things that go wrong with whatever they bought - they rarely praise. What will be interesting to see are the various JD Power measures when they come out - Initial Satisfaction, and in about 2 years time reliability/dependability data. I suspect at this point the X3 is as reliable as any other brand new vehicle within the first 12 months of sales.

Inevitably if you buy any new vehicle within the first 12 months you take a risk as there's no data to show reliability. You have a choice to take that risk or to play safe and buy something that's been on the market long enough to have hard data. You can bitch and moan but you had a choice, and you chose to buy a X3 knowing those risks. Caveat emptor I believe still applies...
Agree with the first 12 months comments etc but most of us are more than pleased with our X3s and bang on about them on this forum along with praise

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #25
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep

Cancel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
In BMW's case particularly with the X3 series, it's a shame it was not Build to a target price with reliability.
Maybe you should cancel your order and buy something else if you feel that strongly about it.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 11:32 PM   #26
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Maybe you should cancel your order and buy something else if you feel that strongly about it.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 12:35 AM   #27
Steve30dMSport
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 30D M Sport

Quote:

Totally agree. Forums are mostly populated by people asking questions prior to receiving their new car and for people to discuss the issues they find with their cars after receiving them. Those who are very happy with them usually have no reason to post on the forums because they are usually out enjoying their new car. Having said that, I am speaking about the majority, not all. Obviously plenty of us post to say how happy we are with our new cars....but we are probably in the minority. That's my opinion anyway.....and we all know opinions can't be wrong! We can just agree to disagree
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 03:37 AM   #28
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
You may wish to read this:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=579821

Then give your opinions.
      11-10-2011, 08:56 AM   #29
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep

Let's see when initial satisfaction numbers from JDP come through whether yours is an isolated case or not.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #30
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

I wonder if it would be practical to implement an NVH (well...the N part anyway) canceling system for luxury cars. Almost any car will ultimately develop its share of squeaks and rattles over time with varying levels of severity, so why not mount a few mics inside the dash and rig the stereo to emit canceling waves to dampen them just Bose does it for their headphones. The sound waves probably all lie in the upper frequency ranges so things like ear pressure shouldn't be much of a concern. Heck, make it adjustable where you can configure the dampening volume and tweak the frequencies you want cut out. Want to hear more bass from the engine roar? Slide the frequency filter to the upper range. Want mind-numbing serenity so you can listen to your Sounds of Peace and Tranquility CD recently purchased from your local day spa (totally made up that name by the way)? Crank up the gain...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 10:50 AM   #31
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep

Lotus developed this for cars about 20 years ago. You can both cancel out noise and reconfigure what noise is acceptable. You have to allow some noise in from outside for safety reasons - like hearing an ambulance for instance. But you can also configure what engine noise you hear electronically, rather than physically, to ensure your Ferrari sounds like a diesel powered tractor when Ferris Bueller decides to borrow it on his day off from school. Anything above 3000rpm sounds like the engine is going to break...Or make your Golf diesel sound like a Ferrari.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #32
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Let's see when initial satisfaction numbers from JDP come through whether yours is an isolated case or not.
Yea right;

Make: BMW Model: X3
Model Year: 2011
Manufacturer: BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC Mfr's Report Date: JUN 28, 2011
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 11V341000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: STEERING:ELECTRIC POWER ASSIST SYSTEM
Potential Number of Units Affected: 51
Summary:
BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 X3 PASSENGER VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM APRIL 27, 2011, THROUGH JUNE 8, 2011. A CONTROL MODULE IN THE ELECTRIC POWER STEERING (EPS) UNIT MAY MALFUNCTION, RESULTING IN A SUDDEN LOSS OF POWER STEERING ASSISTANCE.
Consequence:
SUDDEN LOSS OF POWER STEERING ASSISTANCE COULD INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
BMW WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND DEALERS WILL REPAIR THE VEHICLES FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING AUGUST 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW CUSTOMER RELATIONS AND SERVICES AT 1-800-525-7417.
Notes:
OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

PLEASE NOTE; This fault is 6 months old and still not solved.
      11-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #33
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep

There's a key here

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Yea right;
Potential Number of Units Affected: 51
That's a tiny % of the total production run.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #34
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
All my rattles and noises have come and gone
Turns out my rattle which came back WAS down to german engineering, the culprit........my Hugo Boss briefcase

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #35
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaX View Post
I wonder if it would be practical to implement an NVH (well...the N part anyway) canceling system for luxury cars. Almost any car will ultimately develop its share of squeaks and rattles over time with varying levels of severity, so why not mount a few mics inside the dash and rig the stereo to emit canceling waves to dampen them just Bose does it for their headphones. The sound waves probably all lie in the upper frequency ranges so things like ear pressure shouldn't be much of a concern. Heck, make it adjustable where you can configure the dampening volume and tweak the frequencies you want cut out. Want to hear more bass from the engine roar? Slide the frequency filter to the upper range. Want mind-numbing serenity so you can listen to your Sounds of Peace and Tranquility CD recently purchased from your local day spa (totally made up that name by the way)? Crank up the gain...
You know you've lived in San Francisco too long.......

Does this mean all our cars will sound like Bose?

No highs, no lows, it must be Bose!
Appreciate 0