BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-05-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
Cupcake
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i M-Sport

Electronic Damper Control Malfunction?

I had an error message appear on iDrive on my way to work last night.

"Electronic damping control malfunction-EDC.
Cornering behavior and driving comfort reduced.
Drive Moderately. Have the system checked by your BMW center"

Just out of curiosity, I put the car in "Sport" mode after I got this message, and while driving, it automatically put the car back into normal mode. I also started and restarted the car several times last night and continued to get the same message.

This morning, when leaving work, I drove the entire way home without an error message, I even checked "vehicle status" and it read all systems okay. However, when parking in my driveway, the message reappeared, along with a check engine light. I rechecked the vehicle status and the EDC warning was listed. The car is not handling any different than normal, no strange noises, nothing seems abnormal other than that damn error message.

I am just frustrated, my car has been back and forth to the dealer several times, (for other issues) just not enough to lemon it. I am 2 hours from my dealer and I'm sure what will happen is I will take the car in, and some part will have to be ordered from Germany. Also about to make a cross country move in 2 weeks, unsure if I can even get it to the dealer in the next week or so.

Anyone else had this issue? I searched and only could find issues with some of the m3 EDC. Would I be crazy to have them tow it in?

Thanks in advance! --Brooke
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

I had that come up on my M3, it was a loose plug on top of one of the front shocks, they pushed it home and all was well.

Last edited by JOHNBMWM5; 11-29-2011 at 03:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
Cupcake
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i M-Sport

Anyone heard of "ghost codes" for the x3 software? The edc problem stopped for a few weeks but returned once it got cold again, this time with a tire pressure monitor malfunction and adaptive headlamp malfunction. Service dept insisted it was cold weather. I gave them the benefit of the doubt until my car stopped going into sport mode and the edc warning alarmed every 30 minutes. Finally they agreed it should be looked at so I took it in for service. The diagnostic computer showed over 10 error codes, one which was battery overvoltage. What's weird is that the service advisor said everything "checked out okay" and it was probably ghost codes they could not fix on their computer. They gave me the car back and told me they would call me when they could figure it out. my biggest concern is how will I know if something is *really* wrong when I'm used to Brushing it off because I am so used to the computer acting up, it's just not possible for me to take it in everytime I get an error message. Advice?
Thanks, Brooke
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
Anyone heard of "ghost codes" for the x3 software? The edc problem stopped for a few weeks but returned once it got cold again, this time with a tire pressure monitor malfunction and adaptive headlamp malfunction. Service dept insisted it was cold weather. I gave them the benefit of the doubt until my car stopped going into sport mode and the edc warning alarmed every 30 minutes. Finally they agreed it should be looked at so I took it in for service. The diagnostic computer showed over 10 error codes, one which was battery overvoltage. What's weird is that the service advisor said everything "checked out okay" and it was probably ghost codes they could not fix on their computer. They gave me the car back and told me they would call me when they could figure it out. my biggest concern is how will I know if something is *really* wrong when I'm used to Brushing it off because I am so used to the computer acting up, it's just not possible for me to take it in everytime I get an error message. Advice?
Thanks, Brooke

Brooke,

While the errors you're seeing are different, the situation you're being placed into is EXACTLY the same as what juddholland an I went through with the "4X4, Stability Control, ABS Brake failure " warnings we were seeing. The treatment you're having is also very familiar.

If you haven't read the (long) Error While Driving thread, you might want to scan it and read the recommendations of what to do.

Basically, all you can do is document every occurrence and INSIST in the strongest terms that you are not happy and won't tolerate driving a car that presents safety related warnings on a random basis with no way of confirming if they're real or just errors in the "reporting" system.

Since you're moving soon you are in an especially difficult situation but you have to stand your ground and insist that they correct this problem, refund the cost of the car or replace it with a new one.

If you haven't already contacted BMW NA and asked them to investigate your case and intervene with the dealership, it's time to do that.

There is no reason that you should have to suffer with a car that's reporting possible dangerous defects that you can't confirm are real or fantasy.

I also reported the problem to the National Highway Safety Administration an opened a case on the "triple error" that Judd and I were having. In both of our cases and several others the problem was eventually traced to a bad torque sensor in the transfer case which required replacement of that part and (in my case) took nearly a month to accomplish.

Again, your errors are entirely different, but the situation is exactly the same.

i ONLY was able to get any real attention and serious consideration by my local dealership after writing a detailed, certified letter to BMW NA that outlined the lack of service I was receiving locally. They immediately put the local dealer's service people in contact with the correct factory engineers who were already aware of the cause of the error messages and told them what part to change.

The local service people are usually not very knowledgeable about new models and their standard procedure seems to be, tell the customer nothing is wrong, or it's something the customer is doing that's causing the problem. They will do anything they can to try to get you to just go away.

AND, calling the readouts "Ghost Code"is simply Service Department B.S. If there is a problem with a sensor or a cable going to one of the electronically controlled dampers, the error is real, and if the actual mechanical/electronic systems are really OK, but the readout is false ("Ghost Codes"), they there is a PROBLEM with the computer/readout system. Either way, the error displays are not normal, and should not be seen. Either way, there is a reason for the error display that can be isolated and corrected as soon as someone commits to actually doing their job instead of trying to brush you off. Telling you that the problems were due to "cold weather" is a prime example of a classic "brush-off'. These cars are designed and tested to function down to -30 deg. F. I doubt that it's been colder than +30 deg. F in NC so far this year. If it is temperature related, then they should fix it because it's NOT NORMAL.

Again, I strongly recommend that you start a complaint case with BMW NA. The sooner you do, the sooner your car will be properly repaired.

Best of Luck - Hang in there and DON't let them push you around.

Last edited by Lotus7; 11-28-2011 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 0