BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #1
BenDiem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M240i xDrive

electrical gremlin(s)

Greetings all,

A couple of questions/comments.

I finally got a chance to drive the wife's X3 this past weekend. It's a 2013
35i MSport. We've had the car since April.

I noticed that the car stops abruptly when I open the door and back into a parking space. I always open my door when backing into a parking spot. None of my other cars do this My wife thinks this happens b/c I had the start/stop feature engaged. Does this happen b/c I did not cancel the start/stop function? I always keep the start/stop function engaged, but my wife hates the feature, so she always turns it off.

As with all of my other previous Bimmers (several 3 series and 2 X3s), I encountered my first electronic gremlin/issue with our new X3. The left rear window would not stop at the closed position. It would just have a mind of its own and would go up and down and up and down, until I timed it to let go of the window switch as the window appoached the top of the frame.

I continue to put up with electronic gremlins with Bimmers. I must be a glutton for punishment. This may very well be my last Bimmer after the warranty runs out in 2016. The refreshed GLK with the DI normally aspirated 3.5 may/will replace the X3? I'm slowly getting annoyed with Bimmer electronic glitches.

Additionally, I recall the wife came home with music blaring, and a few minutes later (five minutes), upon me going to the garage to get a beverage from the fridge in the garage, the radio was still playing, WTH? I pushed in the volume control to turn off the stereo.

Outside of the electronic gremlins, this SAV is a nice performing vehicle. It runs like stink and handles remarkably for an SAV. I've put up w/BMW's lack of quality compared to MB, for driving dynamics. It's the price you pay to drive a Bimmer, eh? But, the novelty is slowly waning, I fear....

Has anyone else experienced the aforementioned annoyances/issues?

Tks/B
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Yes I've had the 'abrupt stop' when backing up with the door slightly ajar. As far as I know, it has nothing to do with the start/stop feature, given my 2011 doesn't have start/stop. It's not a glitch as far as I'm concerned, but some sort of safety feature. In other words, BMW obviously don't want the car to be in motion if a door is open.

WRT the window acting up; I believe there are some threads on here which discuss this problem. If I'm not mistaken, there's a technical bulletin (but not a recall) for flaky window regulator. I would take it in and tell them you have a flaky regulator. They'll look up the TSB and probably replace it under warranty.

As for the music still playing...also probably not a glitch. IF...your wife did not press the button TWICE, and only once, she would have turned off the engine, but not the "gadgets" and IF she did NOT lock the car after getting out, then the stereo could stay on....I think for 30 seconds or more possibly. How soon did you come out to the garage after your wife came out of the garage....a minute or thereabouts? If so, then the scenario above is likely.

Hope that helps
Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

The X3, as well as with most new BMWs will shift to park when a door is opened between speeds of 1 to 3 mph. Stupid I know but I think it's to prevent roll off accidents where someone forgets to put the car in park, gets out, and said vehicle rolls away.

Concerning the window issue, we have had one weird occurrence and that was the day we drove it home from the performance delivery center. We were getting on the highway and when I went to roll up the rear windows they didn't budge. After pressing the button multiple times they finally went up. Interestingly enough, 16 months and 25k miles later the issue has never happened again.

On the music blaring issue, is it possible she only hit the start/stop button once, killing the engine, but leaving the electronics powered? It is easy to do. If left to run on it's own it turns off after 10 minutes I believe. My shut down procedure is this: enter parking spot, press start/stop button TWICE and go on my way. You don't even need to switch into park, the first press of the button kills the motor and puts it into park.

Also, while on the music blaring topic, be careful with DVDs. If you watch a DVD the volume knob has to be spun multiple times to get the DVD to be loud enough. Then if you switch back to radio/cd/sat the volume is still at the same spot but the new audio sources come across very loud. I'm talking blow your speakers loud. Always have to remember to turn the DVD volume WAY down before switching to another source.

Just curious, where in SW Ohio are you located? We are in Dayton area.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
rmeir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x3

Ill go back to what n55 said. the car will go to park when the door is opened. you might think its funny, but in my past life I was a cop and got called assist a person once, he was driving thru his field with the door open. the door hit a stump and closed on his left leg, which was hanging out the door. sounds dumb but stuff happens. after a whole bunch of surgeries he finally had ot have the leg amputated. dont know about the window and the radio thing, but I know that if I hit the ignition off button once, the motor shuts off, and then i have to hit it again to turn the radio off. It goes off if you lock the car or in about ten mins. Maybe the window thing is happening because yr holding yr finger ont he switch. Just tap it and it should go up or down to its final stop on its own.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
BenDiem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
Just curious, where in SW Ohio are you located? We are in Dayton area.
^^^East side of Cincy,

Thank you all for your responses. I learned something today.

Cheers/BB
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDiem View Post
^^^East side of Cincy,

Thank you all for your responses. I learned something today.

Cheers/BB
Did you learn that the only gremlin in your car is you? ha ha ha Just kidding
Appreciate 0