BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
ppb
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

At loss for words...

http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local.../?hub=CP24Home

Last edited by ppb; 11-10-2011 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

11-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I love this quote:
Police said high speed is being eyed as a contributing factor in the crash, but it hasn't been confirmed.

Really? You mean if he had been going, say, 10 MPH this crash might not have been so bad? Good to see that law enforcement is starting to become vaugely aware of the laws of physics. Still, it appears they have to await confirmation of that...

Not to appear unsympathetic, but this might be a case of some jerk driving too fast while texting or being otherwise self-distracted. In which case my only sympathy lies with anyone inconvinienced during the clean-up.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
I love this quote:
Police said high speed is being eyed as a contributing factor in the crash, but it hasn't been confirmed.

Really? You mean if he had been going, say, 10 MPH this crash might not have been so bad? Good to see that law enforcement is starting to become vaugely aware of the laws of physics. Still, it appears they have to await confirmation of that...

Not to appear unsympathetic, but this might be a case of some jerk driving too fast while texting or being otherwise self-distracted. In which case my only sympathy lies with anyone inconvinienced during the clean-up.
Or a defective accelerator pedal....

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 05:46 PM   #5
Steve30dMSport
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 30D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Or a defective accelerator pedal....
Possible. But then he could have done three things:

1. applied the brakes HARD
2. turn the car off
3. put the car in to neutral

Whilst numbers 2 and 3 are electrical and possibly could have been compromised, there is no excuse for not applying the brake HARD when there is a throttle problem. It WILL stop the car.

The odds of him being a coke head or drunk are far greater than a Toyota-like faulty accelerator issue. I'll go along with the most likely scenario.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #6
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I know "unintended acceleration" or faulty accelerator pedals are all the rage these days since the whole Toyota incident (& Audi back in the 80s) but haven't they already ruled out that the accidents were due to driver error and not the car manufacturer?

Here's a nice little article on the whole Toyota incident:

http://www.motortrend.com/features/c...t/viewall.html

* The 25 cases involved nine Toyota models and 20 model years, and a majority of the vehicles involved were not among the Toyota vehicles recalled
* Three drivers were allegedly intoxicated
* 12 of the 25 drivers were over 60 years of age; nine were over 70
* 11 of the fatal crashes were on highways; 10 on town or city streets; four were in parking lots
* Only two fatalities occurred with the car in reverse

What do you expect when you have drunk or old retired people driving mass produced economy cars? All in all I still think the BMW driver was being an idiot and was going way above the speed limit. As said by Steve30dMSport and tested/confirmed by Motor Trend a car even when flooring the accelerator pedal will come to a complete stop if you also hold down the brake pedal.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve30dMSport View Post
Possible. But then he could have done three things:

1. applied the brakes HARD
2. turn the car off
3. put the car in to neutral

Whilst numbers 2 and 3 are electrical and possibly could have been compromised, there is no excuse for not applying the brake HARD when there is a throttle problem. It WILL stop the car.

The odds of him being a coke head or drunk are far greater than a Toyota-like faulty accelerator issue. I'll go along with the most likely scenario.
Sometimes during "panic mode" people may not remember to do certain things.
My aunt once lost her brake while exiting the overpass. She panicked and drove in zig zag to avoid the car in front of her, my other aunt who sat in passenger seat reminded her to put the car in N and use the parking brake. Luckily they could stop the car and no one was injured.
Funny after the car restart, the brake is back on. They sold the car shortly after that incident.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
mibmwx3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

This is so sad. Hopefully his loss will be a reminder to all of us to drive responsibly. Certainly gave me something to think about on my ride home tonight in our first snow of the season.

At this point, we don't know the story behind the accident. There are several possible scenarios where we might feel differently toward the driver. I remember a fatal accident where the driver was speeding to get to the hospital when he heard that family members had been injured in a crash. They survived but he didn't. There is also is a chance that it was caused by a medical condition like an epileptic seizure or a heart attack.

Whatever the cause, someone is morning his loss tonight. We all make mistakes, but we don't all have to pay for them like he did.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibmwx3 View Post
This is so sad. Hopefully his loss will be a reminder to all of us to drive responsibly. Certainly gave me something to think about on my ride home tonight in our first snow of the season.

At this point, we don't know the story behind the accident. There are several possible scenarios where we might feel differently toward the driver. I remember a fatal accident where the driver was speeding to get to the hospital when he heard that family members had been injured in a crash. They survived but he didn't. There is also is a chance that it was caused by a medical condition like an epileptic seizure or a heart attack.

Whatever the cause, someone is morning his loss tonight. We all make mistakes, but we don't all have to pay for them like he did.
+1

A local girl died last year after traveling at a high rate of speed and crashing into a tree. Everyone assumed it was a typical teenager driving irresponsibly. Turns out she had a seizure. Her parents went on camera and said that she had never had any previous medical issues. You just never know what the story may be so I try not to judge.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #10
ppb
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

When I saw the pictures I knew it was an X3 since I have the exact same rims on mine (28i model). The reports were unclear at first, only indicating the vechicle hit the guardrail, rolled over and caught fire. It really freaked me out...and yes I thought of Toyota and I think Ford had something with gas tank.
Now, the way they describe the accident it makes more sense why the vechicle caught fire. it's unfortunate it's a new X3 and one of the reasons I chose it is for it's high safety rating. It's scarry hearing the reports and very sad that a person actually died.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 10:12 PM   #11
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Most of the reported issues with Toyotas were either fabricated or due to owner stupidity - much in the same way Audi had a problem with "runaway" vehicles. In most cases it turned out to be incompetent Americans who couldn't drive properly, who in typical American fashion felt this was an opportunity to make money.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 12:37 AM   #12
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

My accelerator comment was only tongue-in-cheek but I also wanted to point out that no-one actually knows the cause so you shouldn't judge the poor (dead) guy. The fact that speed was a factor doesn't even mean he was breaking the legal speed limit necessarily and even if he was, a fine is more appropriate than being cremated like that. I hope none of his family ever reads some of these posts

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0