BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-31-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
TrikinCurt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral Silver

Ordered, Waiting on April Build - Couple Questions

Okay, so I "ordered" my X3. Trick is I want to wait for the new 6nr media integration (since nobody knows for sure if it can be upgraded).

So they said they can't even get a production slot that far out, so I paid $500 and I can't even login to the website yet! Bummer!

Anyway, they are saying if I want PDC delivery (which I do), I would have to wait until May! Apparently they need 60 days after you have a production date, and I can't get a production date!

Anyone else in the same boat?

Anyone done PDC delivery tell me if it is worth another month?

And anyone order a 35i recently who could get a Feb production date? I was told March 15th even if I didn't wait for 6nr, so figured I would wait. Now do I wait yet again to get that and PDC delivery...

Snowed again today, would have loved to have the X3...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

I have been struggling with the exact same issue. I want 6NR and I want PDC.
I hear from reliable sources at BMW that the earliest PDC delivery with 6NR is around April 22.

So now my question to the forum is:

Holy cow, late April or early May for a 2011. 2012 models will start in Septemper or October. Would it be smarter to wait for a 2012 just to avoid the depreciation?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 10:29 PM   #3
JTreehorn23
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Gents,

Obviously if you want to wait for the 6NR that's another story but my dealer handed me the official PCD documents and they state only a 30 day window from order to earliest Pickup. I requested a time sooner then 30 days and the salesperson got a very quick response and everything was accepted.

It will be nice to get the final verdict on the 6NR thing once and for all. I ordered my X3 just before all the word started flying but I had heard about mini-connected before so it wasn't a deal breaker or wait thing for me but I will be asking about it next week when I do PCD. Will update on what I hear.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 01:54 AM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I have asked BMW for clarity on whether there is definitely an upgrade available path for 6NR, although I am already personally 100% sure that there is. It is implied in the reply from BMW in this thread

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...&highlight=6nr

You would need the prerequisites listed though.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 05:42 AM   #5
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by torzeck View Post
I have been struggling with the exact same issue. I want 6NR and I want PDC.
I hear from reliable sources at BMW that the earliest PDC delivery with 6NR is around April 22.

So now my question to the forum is:

Holy cow, late April or early May for a 2011. 2012 models will start in Septemper or October. Would it be smarter to wait for a 2012 just to avoid the depreciation?
My dealer is quoting build week 39 or 40 for MY2012 production. So that would be early October if you want a MY12. My dealer stated that there would be no changes for MY12.

Remember this is information from my dealer, nothing official.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 06:01 AM   #6
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e blue/cognac

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
So in the USA - according to that bulletin all you need is the technology package and the smartphone integration in order to get the 6nr down the road?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 06:40 AM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesmachine View Post
So in the USA - according to that bulletin all you need is the technology package and the smartphone integration in order to get the 6nr down the road?
As I understand it, yes, that's correct. It would make sense as 6NR is only a software update and a new cradle for iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 06:56 AM   #8
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesmachine View Post
As was stated, it certainly appears that way based on the breadcrumbs we are being left.

The challenge with all this is that I am not aware of BMW offering a for fee software based update in the past. The 6NR obviously involves licensing, etc. and is likely to require a firmware or software upgrade which would need a dealer service intervention. Hopefully we will see soon.
      02-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #9
TrikinCurt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
As was stated, it certainly appears that way based on the breadcrumbs we are being left.

The challenge with all this is that I am not aware of BMW offering a for fee software based update in the past. The 6NR obviously involves licensing, etc. and is likely to require a firmware or software upgrade which would need a dealer service intervention. Hopefully we will see soon.
I am just nervous without it being specifically said. If it wasn't that my best build date is March 15th, and this update is April, I would probably just let it go.

So we do know the main thing about 6NR is to support the "ipod out" function of iOS 4.0. So, the question is simply if BMW has the hardware in place to support this on all cars and if it is just a software issue.

iPod out means that the rendering of the UI is done on the iPhone, hence the cradle needed, part of the apple connector sends video, so first step is that the car needs to have physical wiring from the cradle to the nav display. Anyone know if that exists?

Second part is having commands from the car sent back to the iphone. I doubt that part has been done before? Again, the commands would go back to the same dock connector on the iPad, but it is just a question if those wires have ever been physically connected.

So that is my concern about it being just software... It is true that it all goes to the same apple connector on that end, I just wonder if all those connections have been made in past cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrikinCurt View Post
I am just nervous without it being specifically said. If it wasn't that my best build date is March 15th, and this update is April, I would probably just let it go.

So we do know the main thing about 6NR is to support the "ipod out" function of iOS 4.0. So, the question is simply if BMW has the hardware in place to support this on all cars and if it is just a software issue.

iPod out means that the rendering of the UI is done on the iPhone, hence the cradle needed, part of the apple connector sends video, so first step is that the car needs to have physical wiring from the cradle to the nav display. Anyone know if that exists?

Second part is having commands from the car sent back to the iphone. I doubt that part has been done before? Again, the commands would go back to the same dock connector on the iPad, but it is just a question if those wires have ever been physically connected.

So that is my concern about it being just software... It is true that it all goes to the same apple connector on that end, I just wonder if all those connections have been made in past cars.
The wiring end points are covered by the prereqs. If it did need extra wiring or connections then BMW are incorrectly advising people. And if that is the case, they wouldn't say it will be available as an accessory. There is a chance they are wrong of course but I doubt it. You just need a phono and a USB connection to the cradle which is covered by the bluetooth phone prep prereq.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #11
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

Guys, I don't think a software upgrade will make it work. I have been in contact with a guy from BMW marketing in the US and he says 6NR is specific hardware or at least firmware that is not dealer upgradable.

It would be great if I'm wrong and if someone finds something more definitive please correct me.
Appreciate 0