BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral

New X3 Cargo area dimensions?

Does anybody happen to know the dimensions of the cargo area?

I read the new X3 has a class leading 19 cu ft with seats up and 56.6 with seats down, but would like to know the width, height and depth so I can visualize what I can actually fit into the back. Whenever our local dealership gets one in, I'll try to go measure and post if nobody knows.

Also is 19 cubic feet with seats up correct? Please tell me this is wrong. That is basically1/3 less space than the total with the seats down, which seems a bit dissapointing for an SUV of this size. from the pictures it looks like it has more space than that, but can't tell.

Also if you compare this cargo space to a small compact suv such as the hyundai ix35/tucson which is supposed to have one of the smaller cargo capacities in it's segment. It has 25.7 cu ft with seats up and almost 56 with seats down, holds a full-size alloy spare wheel inside and is a smaller vehicle. I'm finding it hard to believe the X3 has less space in the back with seats up unless maybe it's somehow the way the volumes are calculated in each.

Also when I saw the demo model in person the rear cargo area seemed fairly decent, I don't remember thinking it was too small for my needs but will have to double check now after reading these numbers.

Last edited by Sabian; 12-07-2010 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

BTW, looked up the Q5, cargo area is 29.1 cu ft with the seats up, and 57.3 with the seats down. Somethings not adding up with the 19 cu ft on the X3 to me.... seems like a typo in the specs? I hope....

The exterior dimensions of the Q5 and X3 are almost the same, the X3 being slightly larger but by no more than 1 inch in each length, width and height. Even if the rear passenger seats are pushed back further for more leg room from the looks of both I don't see how that loses 10 cubic feet in the cargo area compared to the Q5, but who knows, maybe it does.

If so this could be a deal breaker for me since the main point of me getting a SUV this size would be to have a a vehicle with some decent cargo room in back and not always have the seats folded to make it work. I'm currently used to having 25 cu ft so going to 19 would be painful as 25 just barely works for me as is.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

The way that the cargo capacity is measured is very subjective. The Q5 is 540 litres = 19.1 cubic feet according to this website:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/...px?deriv=45068

The X3 is 550 litres according to the UK brochure = 19.4 cubic feet.

Both figures with seats up obviously.

I think the differences are to do with the size of the number of virtual boxes you can fit in or something like that. It's not pure volume.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
Brutus1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3 -Alpine white

2011 X3 dimensions.

I was just at the dealership today where they have one on display and got the measurements for you. With the back seats in place, the floor space is 36 inches from the back of the seat to the rear. Side to side is 43 inches at the wheel well area and 49 inches at the very rear. Height is 31 3/4 inches. With the seats folded, from the floor at the tailgate to the top of the seats is 62 3/4 inches.

Now, reviewers say that with more space, the X3 is even more practical. With the second row in place, the X3 has 19 cubic feet of cargo space. With all seats folded, there is 56.6 cubic feet of space. This is a quote I found but I was thinking it may be even more with the seats down. Will keep searching.

Hope the dimensions make sense and if not let me know.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1 View Post
I was just at the dealership today where they have one on display and got the measurements for you. With the back seats in place, the floor space is 36 inches from the back of the seat to the rear. Side to side is 43 inches at the wheel well area and 49 inches at the very rear. Height is 31 3/4 inches. With the seats folded, from the floor at the tailgate to the top of the seats is 62 3/4 inches.
Nice to have the actual dimensions. When I saw one at our dealership I measured the width but not the others.

One thing to keep in mind: The 36 inch measurement from the back of the seat to the rear hatch is measured at the floor level. The seat is angled to the back and the hatch door is angled to the front, so at the top of the seat where the "window shade" cargo cover goes, the distance is more like 24 inches.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This is great news, thanks so much for getting those numbers Brutus1! This helps me visualize the cargo area, and the volume is even better than I expected. Looks like the new X3 will have plenty of space I need.

sfax, thanks for clarifying that about the cargo capacity calculations, that makes sense. The virtual boxes way of thinking of it is actually more practical, I'm certainly not gonna fill the back up with sand
they must have calculated the Q5 numbers I saw by pure volume to come up with the 29.1 seats up. Didn't seem possible for the Q5 to have 10 more cubic feet of space.

I got the Q5 numbers from their website and also from here
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...i_Q5/Interior/

BTW, this site ranked the new X3 at number 4 spot for 2011 Luxury compact suv's below Acura MDX, Infiniti EX, Lincoln MKT, Volvo XC60
Appreciate 0