BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-31-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
Jasboarder05
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28i

Paint issue

Took delivery last week on our new X3 28i and noticed a paint flaw above the passenger front wheel well. It looks like a drop of paint. I can't tell if it was touched up or if it just came from the factory with this paint spot. I'm meeting with our dealer tomorrow but am worried about what could happen if they attempt to fix it. I don't want this drop of paint to create issues down the road. Anyone have advice on how handle this with our dealer? Perhaps I am expecting too much but then again it was custom ordered. On the up side.... WE LOVE OUR BIMMER. The ride is amazing and the low end torque from the N20 is great. My brother in-law drives a 2012 X5 35i and after he drove our new 2013 X3 he thought the X3 rides quieter and handles much better.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Jasboarder05
Rep

Any advice on how to handle this paint issue. Your advice and input is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasboarder05 View Post
Any advice on how to handle this paint issue. Your advice and input is greatly appreciated. Thanks
First, are you sure it's paint and not some gluelike substance that may be a remnant of the assy. process?

Second, Unless your dealer has a terrible reputation for doing paint and body work, I'm betting the fix will be fine.
If they really do have a poor history go to a different dealer. Google your dealers name and paintwork see what others say.

Cars get touched up at the "port" all the time and we never know. I've had body / paint work done on my last car, a 3 series, when it was new and the fix was imperceivable. I've got to think matching new paint is easier than matching old oxidized paint.

Take some pictures of the "before". Share them here and for your records. Take some "after" pictures from the same point of view and time of day.

Car is under warranty- just keep good records. Let us know how it all goes down.

Last edited by torzeck; 06-02-2012 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Jasboarder05
Rep

First of all thanks for your input. No its not glue or any other residue. This unfortunately was a raised area that looked like a drop of paint. Our dealer told me it was just a small drop of paint that could potentially be removed without requiring a paint job. As I suspected it is a defect of the actual metal under the paint. They agreed to repaint the entire quarter panel free of charge. This was an unfortunate issue but BMW showed excellent customer service in resolving this paint blemish. I will attempt to post pics.
Appreciate 0