BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #45
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Wow, very interesting when you put it in that perspective. Hadn't even thought of that!!

I wonder if the new N20 motor will be louder than the N55. I've seen a bunch of reviews saying the new N20 is a very loud engine due to noisy injectors. Maybe the N20 will be same as the RR.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #46
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I've only heard the DI on the N20 is a little louder on cold startup on the "outside of the car".

Once you are inside the car (which is where you start the car) you won't notice any obtrusive noise.

I'm basing this on my test drive of the X1 with the N20 at -10c.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
Wow, very interesting when you put it in that perspective. Hadn't even thought of that!!

I wonder if the new N20 motor will be louder than the N55. I've seen a bunch of reviews saying the new N20 is a very loud engine due to noisy injectors. Maybe the N20 will be same as the RR.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #47
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

I was reading the Inside Line long term road test blog and this quote made me chuckle ...

"I've been driving our long-term X3 quite a bit and I'm a fan. Sure the new Range Rover Evoque is better looking, but from behind the wheel the X3 kicks sand all over the Rover."
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #48
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Very interesting. I drove the Evoque as well before ordering my X3 and it was surprising. I like the look, and I like the interior (I didn't mind the spacing, it's a small SUV) but I thought it drove terrible. There was a ton of body roll, the engine was rough and noisy and not nearly powerful enough, and the ride was rough and nearly knocked my teeth out on a poor road. The X3 on that same test route was flat, much quieter, much more powerful, and substantially more comfortable all at the same time. Between myself and my family we've owned quite a few Range Rovers of all generations in the past so it was a huge letdown, I really wanted to like this truck - but I just couldn't.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 06:39 AM   #49
ozbmwx3
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

You made the right decision. I too checked out the Evoque. Looks great at first sight. Then, after a while, it just looks like a pancaked Freelander. It is quite claustrophobic inside. Then I checked the web for "problems". Oh dear. Yep, at the end of day it has the same reliability problems of all land rovers with an appalling number of "fatal" problems.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #50
richy577
Pokerboy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport 2.0D

I had a look at both and bought the 2.0d M Sport in Alpine White. I had a good look at the Evoque as well, the inside is very nice would say equally as good as the X3. However I just felt that because of the small windows it felt cramped and there wasn't as much visibility as the X3.
Don't get me wrong it is a nice car (each to their own) however the X3 was the choice for me because of the bigger size and better visibility.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #51
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbmwx3 View Post
You made the right decision. I too checked out the Evoque. Looks great at first sight. Then, after a while, it just looks like a pancaked Freelander. It is quite claustrophobic inside. Then I checked the web for "problems". Oh dear. Yep, at the end of day it has the same reliability problems of all land rovers with an appalling number of "fatal" problems.
Back at a motorshow in summer 2011, I too sampled the Evoque. Wow, it was tiny inside and the low roof, especially in the back, made it feel very claustrophobic. That and the boot looking small, I couldn't believe it would be good for a family. It's also very wide for country lanes.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #52
Alligator69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2.0d Mineral Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
Back at a motorshow in summer 2011, I too sampled the Evoque. Wow, it was tiny inside and the low roof, especially in the back, made it feel very claustrophobic. That and the boot looking small, I couldn't believe it would be good for a family. It's also very wide for country lanes.
Same exact reasons I discarded the Evoque. I like the look, I still do, but the X3 has much more: space, engine, driving experience.

A.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #53
ilumo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Digging up from the grave. just wondering if anyone else went through this dilemma.... I am... I am really leaning towards the Evoke for the unique styling and the awesome interior. I thought that the x3 i drove had a very bland interior, not much better than my current 335xi. the RR, with all the nice stitched seats, doors, dash, etc, was great. I even though that the RR had more SOTP torque at low rpms. only thing is the evoque's trunk is much smaller and im afraid my dog will not fit back there. like the x3, but love the evoque. decisions decisions...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #54
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilumo View Post
Digging up from the grave. just wondering if anyone else went through this dilemma.... I am... I am really leaning towards the Evoke for the unique styling and the awesome interior. I thought that the x3 i drove had a very bland interior, not much better than my current 335xi. the RR, with all the nice stitched seats, doors, dash, etc, was great. I even though that the RR had more SOTP torque at low rpms. only thing is the evoque's trunk is much smaller and im afraid my dog will not fit back there. like the x3, but love the evoque. decisions decisions...
I loved the Evoque at first. I saw it in person and was impressed by the styling. Then I sat in it and was even more impressed. Then I drove it and was no longer interested and left.

The engine thrashed and howled for no good reason, and it didn't seem to want to get out of its own way. The suspension was harsh and choppy but still had a ton of body roll and didn't handle very well. There was also bad road noise and other vibrations. If they adjusted the suspension and put in a better engine I'd probably be driving that instead.

The X3 interior is definitely bland, but I thought the iDrive and controls were well placed and easy to use. I also thought the high-res screen was nice as well. Then when I drove the X3 I felt so connected to the road unlike any of the other SUVs I tested. I was sold.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #55
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Wow ReturnZero, you nailed my impressions too. I have to say that I saw a baby RR this weekend and it still looked good. I didn't think it would age gracefully. One thing too is that you don't see a lot of them on the road... you see the x3's everywhere.

Get the X3 if you like driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnZero View Post
I loved the Evoque at first. I saw it in person and was impressed by the styling. Then I sat in it and was even more impressed. Then I drove it and was no longer interested and left.

The engine thrashed and howled for no good reason, and it didn't seem to want to get out of its own way. The suspension was harsh and choppy but still had a ton of body roll and didn't handle very well. There was also bad road noise and other vibrations. If they adjusted the suspension and put in a better engine I'd probably be driving that instead.

The X3 interior is definitely bland, but I thought the iDrive and controls were well placed and easy to use. I also thought the high-res screen was nice as well. Then when I drove the X3 I felt so connected to the road unlike any of the other SUVs I tested. I was sold.
      05-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #56
gstyle333
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: F25 BMW X3 2.0d

Don't be fooled

I am probably a sales persons nightmare. I research everything I want to purchase right down to the smallest detail - I ended up knowing more about the X3 than the sales person.

So let me save you the trouble and tell you the result of over 100 hours of research, 11 test drives (XC60, Evoque, Q5, GLK... 8 others), 6 re-sale value comparisons and 4 reliability index comparisons...Get the F25 X3.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #57
ilumo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
Wow ReturnZero, you nailed my impressions too. I have to say that I saw a baby RR this weekend and it still looked good. I didn't think it would age gracefully. One thing too is that you don't see a lot of them on the road... you see the x3's everywhere.

Get the X3 if you like driving.
I do like driving, but i also like the car to look unique as well. and the evoque looks damn sexy still, and the interior is awesome. love the panny roof. no offense, but when i test drove the x35i, the interior was so bland, even though it was the "new" model. the exterior, unless it had the M sport kit, looked pretty bland as well. and the grunt and braking wasnt there when I test drove... not sure why. I was expecting the SOTP feel to be much better on the x3. it has a similar engine to my 335xi, and it didnt feel anywhere near the performance.
still, it is a good car, and better than the GLK, and Q5s by far.
tough decision. also, im going to be leasing, so long term reliability does not affect me. otherwise, that would have been a huge nod to the x3 IMO.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #58
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I bought the X3 and I don't think it is particularly attractive inside or out. The car is fast though... If the car is in eco or normal you have to press the accelerator fairly hard to convince the car to accelerate quickly. Sport mode is a completely different experience as the power is everywhere in the rev range.

Like gstyle333, I too drove everything in the X3's class. The XC60 turbo was up there but I really hated it's interior and it was several model years old.

I ended of with the 35i for the same price as the RR 2.0L turbo... I love driving so, even though the X3 is a only a "handsome" car (in the same sense as a handsome women), I love driving it.
      05-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #59
Yeltzer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 xDrive 20d M Sport

As I posted elsewhere some months ago on the exact same topic:

"The Evoque is like one of those Thai ladboys. Looks the real deal and exciting from the outside, but dig a little deeper and under the skin and you'll be in for a shock and disappointment."
      05-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #60
ilumo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I bought the X3 and I don't think it is particularly attractive inside or out. The car is fast though... If the car is in eco or normal you have to press the accelerator fairly hard to convince the car to accelerate quickly. Sport mode is a completely different experience as the power is everywhere in the rev range.

Like gstyle333, I too drove everything in the X3's class. The XC60 turbo was up there but I really hated it's interior and it was several model years old.

I ended of with the 35i for the same price as the RR 2.0L turbo... I love driving so, even though the X3 is a only a "handsome" car (in the same sense as a handsome women), I love driving it.
yup. that sounds good. another thing i was looking for on the x35i was the compatibility for tune, and I could not find any. I was hoping if I got one the cobb tuning accessport I have for my e90 would work on it. but apparently it's not supported yet. any idea if the x3 has any performance tunes avail for it?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #61
ilumo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeltzer View Post
As I posted elsewhere some months ago on the exact same topic:

"The Evoque is like one of those Thai ladboys. Looks the real deal and exciting from the outside, but dig a little deeper and under the skin and you'll be in for a shock and disappointment."
To each their own
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #62
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
I saw a baby RR this weekend and it still looked good. I didn't think it would age gracefully. One thing too is that you don't see a lot of them on the road... you see the x3's everywhere.
I agree, there is not a lot of Evoque on the road, but for some reason, there is a quite a bit of them on the used car lot considering that the Evoque is such a low volume seller. That kind of scare me off a bit when I was looking for a new SUV for the wife. Also, as someone hit one earlier, the design of the Evoque might look good at first, but I think it might be a bit much after a while. The Evoque's 0-60 time is also 1.5 seconds slower than the X3 35i, one can say the Evoque looks a lot faster than it actually is.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #63
jsl1419
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 35i M sport

M-sport pack helped me to choose X3 over Evoque.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #64
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I do like driving, but i also like the car to look unique as well. and the evoque looks damn sexy still, and the interior is awesome. love the panny roof. no offense, but when i test drove the x35i, the interior was so bland, even though it was the "new" model. the exterior, unless it had the M sport kit, looked pretty bland as well. and the grunt and braking wasnt there when I test drove... not sure why. I was expecting the SOTP feel to be much better on the x3. it has a similar engine to my 335xi, and it didnt feel anywhere near the performance.
still, it is a good car, and better than the GLK, and Q5s by far.
tough decision. also, im going to be leasing, so long term reliability does not affect me. otherwise, that would have been a huge nod to the x3 IMO.
Quote:
yup. that sounds good. another thing i was looking for on the x35i was the compatibility for tune, and I could not find any. I was hoping if I got one the cobb tuning accessport I have for my e90 would work on it. but apparently it's not supported yet. any idea if the x3 has any performance tunes avail for it?
You're correct on every account. The Evoque is one damn sexy car, and the X3 won't feel as powerful as your 335xi because of the additional size. The X3 is a good amount quicker than the Evoque though. It really depends on what your priorities end up on. If you want a looker, get the Evoque - you'll be asked about it at every gas station stop and you'll definitely be noticed in it. If you want the better driver, get the X3. Depending on your needs you should be happy either way.

I think the X3's tuner market is a bit too smaller for the larger companies like Dinan, Cobb or ESS, but Burger does make their Stage 1 kit for the X3. I have it installed and it gives a marked power improvement. You feel the boost build more (as there's more to build) and a bit more thrust once it does. Not going to be quite as smooth or as powerful as one of the Cobb tunes or the like, but still better than nothing.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #65
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY14 X3 35d M

I found the Evoque to be an excellent drive, a perfect platform for bombing happily along country roads and motorways alike.

If they sold one with a 6 cylinder diesel and a proper gear selector like in the new RRS rather than the silly rise up circular thing, i'd have bought one.

The 2.2 diesel really doesn't fit the Evoque. It needs more refinement and a bit more get up and go. Very few will buy the petrol in the UK.
MY14 X3 35d M-Sport. Born 19/04/13, Delivered 31/05/13. Alpine White, Red Brown Leather, Brushed Aluminium, 19" 369 Alloys, BMW Media - Professional, Visibility Package, Access Package, Electric Seats w/ Lumbar, Variable Damper Control, Panoramic Roof, Extended Storage, HUD & Black Panel Dash, DAB, Reversing Camera & Top View, Heated Steering Wheel, Heated Rear Seats, Apps, Internet, BMW Loudspeaker Professional... & More.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #66
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

The Evoque is the "sexier" looking car, but having sat in the back it is not for tall people.

Our X3 recently took 4 not small guys and luggage to the airport and all were very pleased with the ride - in the back even the Evoque owning friend of mine said he would not have like to do the same journey in the back of his. Its fine for children but for 6ft blokes its not nearly as comfortable as the X3.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0