BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
jbureau
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

2004 X3 Axle Broken

Hey All- I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light onto my current situation for me.

Last week I had my '04 X3 at the dealer for shaking when I made an aggressive left turn from a stop. I didn't really know what was the cause of the issue, but when the dealer got back to me from having the vehicle through diagnostics they said that the left baring needed to be replaced. The car is 10 years old with 70k miles on it, so I figured that this was possible. From what I have recently learned, it doesn't sound like this is the typical root cause to the noise/shaking I was experiencing. I got the car back and realized it was now doing the same thing but worse. I was planing on taking it back today as it isn't my primary vehicle. However, on Sunday I was driving it and I took a left turn and accelerated, the car made a screeching noise, grinding, the engine started to make a whomping noise, and practically came to a stand still. I was able to get it to the nearest parking lot and I had a friend come out at look at it since it was Sunday and the dealer was closed. After seeing the car for five minutes he told me the axle was broken, badly. I had the car towed to the dealer today because I did not feel comfortable diving it.

The car is currently at the dealer and they are trying to diagnose what happened to it. From what it seems, it sounds like everything wasn't put together properly, but I am waiting to hear back from them to see what they have to say. Beyond the axle damage, what should they be looking at? I am sure this placed stress on other components of the car.

The dealer has apologized, and has placed me in a loaner, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight into what may have happened?

Thank you all very much for your help-
jb
Appreciate 0