BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Bike Lift Part Number

I'm looking at ordering the bike lift for my X3, and I'm having a hard time finding the correct part number. I see a bunch around that say they're for "X series vehicles" but they seem to list the first gen X3 and not the second.

Also I see some places list the lifts as "one bike" models and others as "two bike" models. Can I just buy two of the one bike lifts or do I need to order the two bike model? Or is the two bike model only for the older vehicles or for cars like the 3 or 5? I'm getting confused here. Does anyone know for sure?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
halohead52
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 TS w/Mojave

Garage List
2011 F25 28i  [0.00]
2006 E46 330 CiC  [0.00]
If you mean the BMW lift, I would advise against it. They don't work very well, are extremely difficult to set up so that they fit the bikes, and don't hold up well. Mine went to the trash after numerous frustrating attempts to get them to work. They look like a great idea--just put the bikes in them and, voila, the bikes magically lift to the top of the X3 (mine's a 2011 BTW). Not how they work in reality!

if you must, however, They sell as one per bike and you can mount 2 on the rails. Don't forget the crossbars too--another expense.

We got a rack that goes into the hitch. Works like a dream and waaaay cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. I thought a bit about what to get before deciding on the bike lift, and here's why I made that decision:

I already have the crossbars - I plan on using the roof rack during the winter months for things like Snowboards, etc. It's a shame to hear they don't hold up well, especially for their cost, but I don't think I have any other options. Two of our three bikes don't have removable front wheels and the other bike carriers I see must have the front wheel removed to work. I don't have a hitch and getting one installed looks like it would be around $600+, plus the cost of a hitch rack so that would actually be more expensive. Plus there are times that I want to carry bikes and have access to my hatch area, like when we're going up north.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
halohead52
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 TS w/Mojave

Garage List
2011 F25 28i  [0.00]
2006 E46 330 CiC  [0.00]
You can get fold-down bike racks for the hitch that give you access to the back without removing the bikes. You might think about ordering 1 of the lifts first to see if it works for you.

Anyway, good luck and let us know if the lift works for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
GWright
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 20D F25 Black

The advice given to me was to forget the BMW carriers all together and look at some one like Thule. They have a good range to fit either roof or tow bars.

Not cheap though!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Produc.../594XT-Sidearm

That one looks pretty nice, though my bike isn't exactly light... I think I'll try the BMW lift (I'm crossing my fingers) and if that doesn't work out I'll probably get one of these.
Appreciate 0