BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

Delivery, review and more: my new X3 (long)

Today was a great day for me: the coronation of a process that lasted more than a year and a half and ended up with the delivery of my brand new X3! You have all been very helpful with your suggestions and comments, and the least I can do is to return it in kind with my first impressions of my new car.

This is not the first X3 I drive: it is the third. I have posted separately my test drive impressions of the two dealership X3s I drove, an X35i (http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478451) and an X28i (http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480922) with very few packages. And yes, I think I can finally address the difference between VDC (or actually Dynamic Damper Control) and regular suspensions.

Here are the specs of my X3:

Model: X3 35i
Exterior: 475 Black Sapphire Metallic
Interior: LUSW Black Nevada Leather
Trim: 4DE Fineline Siena Wood Trim

Packages:
ZNE Technology Package
609 BMW On-Board Navigation
639 BMW Assist with Bluetooth
6AA BMW TeleServices
6AB Control BMW TeleServices
6NL BMW Assist w/extend Bluetooth
6VC Combox controller
ZNI Premium Package
316 Automatic Trunk
322 Comfort Access
3XL X-Line Package
402 Panorama Sunroof
430 Auto Dimming Exterior Mirrors
431 Auto Dimming Interior Mirror
508 Park Distance Control
ZNJ Executive Package
319 Universal Remote Control
3AH Rear View Camera With Top View
488 Lumbar Support
563 Lights Package
655 SIRIUS Satellite Radio Tuner
677 HiFi Sound System Professional
ZNR Dynamic Comfort Package
223 Dynamic Damper Control
2VG Performance Control Includes Dynamic Driving Control Modes (Normal, Sport, Sport+)
I had wanted a BMW since I tried an X6 more than two years ago. However, I did not have the money to buy an X6 the way I wanted it… So the rep who’d become my CA gave me the chance to try the 2009 X3. I liked it, but the difference with the X6 was just like night and day. He then called me about a year ago with some very special offers on the outgoing X3s and I nearly bought one, but I held off because the cost for that model was still not right, even at a deep discount. Am I glad I did!
In the meantime I had found this forum and I was reading about the new X3. In July I was very excited about the new model but I knew it’d take some time before I could test drive one. My CA called me back in November, letting me know that he was getting a couple of models in but if I wanted I could order one for myself at no obligation. Because he felt there was so much interest in the new X3, he told me he would not ask me for a deposit and I would not be under any obligation to purchase whatever I had ordered unless I really liked it. He also told me that in all likelihood I would be able to test-drive an X3 before mine arrived. He was right on all counts, and in fact I managed to test drive both the 35i and the 28i before my X3 shipped.

By then, I was absolutely certain I’d buy the X3 I had ordered. I was elated when the car arrived in Toronto, barely two weeks after production. I had hoped it’d get to the Prairies in at most a couple of weeks… But that was not in the cards. My X3 was delayed and did not leave Toronto until late February, and because it became a special delivery it was dropped off at night, on the lot, when the dealership was closed.

That morning my CA came to work and had a message on his answering machine. It was one of his customers, very apologetic because the night before, while checking out the lot, he had accidentally backed up into a black SUV. That’s when I got the included video. I was away at the time. I was not pleased. But when I inspected the work yesterday, a full 3 and a half months from the date of my order, I was relieved to find that the shop had replaced, not polished or refinished, all the affected parts and the car looked absolutely pristine. I was also told that since this was akin to a shipping incident, it would not be counted against certified BMW pre-owned vehicle if I ever decided to trade it in.

So all in all, this was an adventure! At least one with a happy ending. My CA prepared a nice gift package with mugs, cleaning kits, a travel bag, lots of literature, a new iPhone cable, and a few other things and I took delivery of the car today. In my inspection, I found some other minor blemishes – mostly packing tape rash. They will be taken care of and the car will be detailed again next week, of course for free. I have traditionally been extremely unlucky in anything new I acquire: my previous car was dinged while I was parked at the courthouse for Jury duty – some irony ha! And the car before that was parked outside on day 3 of my ownership when a kid on an out of control bike hit it and scratched the driver’s door. So this for me is small change… especially when it is taken care of for no money at all.

At the end of my first day in which I put about 100km on it (it’s still early) my initial impressions are amazingly positive. This car is all I hoped and more! I had tried the “base” 35i and had been impressed, but I must say that the Dynamic Comfort Package that includes DDC (or VDC as it is called somewhere else) and Performance Control makes a marked difference, one that puts this car absolutely over the top for me.
In regular drive, my X3 is very quiet. Its power is present but understated, and its character is somewhat dormant – not really sedate, but you need to “shake it to wake it” and by that I mean that there is a bit of throttle lag and that the car tends to upshift and privilege fuel economy over responsiveness. The steering feels softer than with the “base” X3 and the dampers are softer too, making the drive more of a “sedan experience” than an SAV. One thing that does not change at all is stability: the X3 may seem soft but when needed it stiffens and takes lots of lateral acceleration without misbehaving. I love the way the X3 enters a turn, with confidence and intelligence, making me look like a consummate pilot – and believe me I am just a regular driver. I tried a quick 3-turn 270 degrees road that I could barely approach at 40km/h and exit at 50-60km/h with my previous car (a Ford Edge): the X3 was perfectly stable entering at 50km/h and exiting at 70km/h – and with fresh snow on the road.

Where DDC makes all the difference though is in Sport mode. The “base” X3 has a DS mode activated by pushing the gearshift to the right. In this mode, the car maintains higher RPMs and the throttle is said to be more responsive. Even then, the “base” X3 for me still exhibits some throttle lag. It is subtle, but to me it is there. I am used to standards in which I have an immediate response so I notice the lag. The lag in D mode is higher still. As I said, this is not at all a problem, just a sensation. I feel like I have to plan the throttle in advance. This is Ok for everyday driving and hardly noticeable, by the way. But my personal taste drives me to try and eliminate that lag.

And that is exactly what the Sport mode achieves! The lag vanishes, the car is immediately responsive and, because the RPMs are kept higher, the turbo kicks in immediately, even for featherweight presses of the accelerator. Sport mode also adjusts the softness of the dampers, but to me this is very minor. I feel much better the change of steering: the soft feeling is gone, now the steering feels committed and secure, and although I understand what others say about the lack of wheel feedback, I can easily pick that from the rest of my body – and that leaves precision and control to my hands. I’m not sure if it is because of the DDC or just a sensation, but I think that my X3 corners even better than the other ones I tried.

I have tried Sport+ but I do not detect any difference aside from the change in stability mode to DTC. Since I am still in the break-in period, I have not tried the kick-down switch at the end of the accelerator (deep push) and I have not engaged the turbo at its maximum (far from it in fact). But even then, my new X3 is giving me pure driving joy. And now I get the slogan.

I include a few pictures of the delivery and my first drive. I went to the countryside (not so difficult in Regina – just head for the golf course) and enjoyed a fun ride that I look forward to repeating. Oh, and the ventilation system is amazing. I no longer need to plug a block heater in, nor do I need to pre-heat the car. At -20C, two minutes after I start my X3 I get warm air out of the vents. And the active air filter works wonders, as the air stayed fresh no matter whether I was in the country, in heavy traffic, or by the refinery just outside town. Amazing!.

As someone else said in the forum, the electronics in the car work wonders. The professional sound system is amazing, with crystal clear trebles and deep basses that convey power without mush. I did not even have to change the equalizer. If this is DIRAC sound, I’m sold. I still have to try the telephone interface and the voice commands. I did try the Bluetooth audio though. The sound is very clear as it uses the high definition sound protocol (headphones, not headsets) and the car recognized my iPhone immediately, although I had to make it detect it twice, once for the telephone function and the other for the iPod function. I will try to connect it with the cable – for now, I am so happy with the current setup I did not explore it further. If there is something I miss is the ability to use the 6NR BMW Apps. I have not tried but I expect it to fail. I hope that despite the many answers to the contrary BMW eventually offers a retrofit…

As usual, I’d like to conclude with a couple of notes on the dealership. In Regina, there is only one: Dilawri BMW. They have a captive audience and they can do anything they want to the customers. The stage is set for all sorts of bad behavior: but that has never happened to me. Any problem I had, any question I asked was answered competently and goodheartedly. I was given a good evaluation of my trade-off and even though the price on the car was firm, I was given a $1000 discount on it just by asking. The protection package I got was deeply discounted and the only thing I paid full MSRP for was the tire insurance. Even so, I was given free floor mats, free battery charge “maintainer”, a free comprehensive detailing worth $200, a full cleaning and care package, and a travel bag that is again worth at least $100 (I wanted the M model but I did not get that ). I was consistently given a full white glove treatment; true, one pays for it when buying a BMW. But from what I hear, this level of support is not at all guaranteed. I received it as a matter of course, always with a smile, and from everyone at the dealership – not just my CA: they are all competent professionals with a passion for their job. This to me is surprising and amazing and makes me a repeat customer.

So in conclusion I am having a blast that began today and I hope will last for however long I keep this jewel. I am extremely happy with everything and I am still exploring all the possibilities. I am looking forward to many more years of enjoyment, but when the time comes to change vehicle, I will definitely look at BMW again.

If you have any questions feel free to ask here or PM me… I’ll post more as I get to know my X3 better. Pictures and videos below.

Visual tour – my X3
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
gregoryw1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 30i

Garage List
2015 X3 35i  [0.00]
great write up. and awesome looking X3!!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 03:18 AM   #3
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Looks like you will have some fun in that weather

Black looks awsome, I will be praying for a freak spring snowstorm next month when mine arrives

Seeing your interior makes me wish I had gone with the black leather and sienna wood instead of the oyster - but its too late now

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 06:36 AM   #4
jaymk5
Bheem (Powerful and Fearful)
United_States
Rep
Drives: "OnOrder" BMW X3 35i SpaceGray

Very good write-up. Car looks superb, . Have fun.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 06:38 AM   #5
thefreeze
Hans
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.0D

Nice pics and review, thanks for the work you put into it!

I'm very curious about the professional audio. In my current Volvo V50 I have the Premium sound system (Dynaudio) with Dolby surround. This is really a fantastic sound system and I hope the BMW system compares to it.

Have fun with your new car!
X3 20D auto High Executive. Moonroof, privacy glass, sport seats, professional audio & sat nav, 19" 309 wheels summer, 18" 307 winter, X-Line, Xenon, parking heater. Mineral Silver / Oyster leather interior, wave trim. V70 2.5T (private)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 06:48 AM   #6
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Nice looking car and great write-up. I really like mine, but each time I see the pics of someone getting theirs, I question my choice a bit. Bet it was fun to see how it drives in that snow!

What tires do you have on it? Keeping them or switching out for the remainder of the Winter?
      03-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #7
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
What tires do you have on it? Keeping them or switching out for the remainder of the Winter?
I have the standard 18" Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season tires. They work better than I expected - and so far, I have no reason to get winter tires. Maybe next winter since I'll have to go through all of it - but for now I am very satisfied. I will be going on a road trip in three weeks to complete the break-in (and to get a new iPad). By then I should have a better idea. So far though, no complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
I really like mine, but each time I see the pics of someone getting theirs, I question my choice a bit.
Testament to a lot of very good choices by BMW - we can't own them all though (unless you're Jay Leno ).
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #8
iFroze
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

Thanks for your thoughtful observations and nice of you for helping others to find their ways to be satisfied with their choices the way you are with yours.

I have also ordered Executive Package that includes a Pro Sound System. Do you know the brand of this system (Harman Kardon?) and is there any even higher upgrade beyond this Pro version? (I hear that this Pro system has 12 speakers and that there is a Super Premium with 16 speakers.)

Glad to hear that the heating system responds so quickly.
Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 08:19 AM   #9
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Awesome write-up, thanks! Enjoy the new wheels!

Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Great pics and write up. Love the pics in the snow. There's something about the black X3 with its angel eyes on a white background

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #11
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFroze View Post
Thanks for your thoughtful observations and nice of you for helping others to find their ways to be satisfied with their choices the way you are with yours.

I have also ordered Executive Package that includes a Pro Sound System. Do you know the brand of this system (Harman Kardon?) and is there any even higher upgrade beyond this Pro version? (I hear that this Pro system has 12 speakers and that there is a Super Premium with 16 speakers.)

Glad to hear that the heating system responds so quickly.
Enjoy!
I have not seen a brand in the sound system at all. In Canada, as far as I know, this upgrade is all we can get. It is interesting though that the BMW "encyclopedia" of technology does not exactly specify the brand of the system, whereas for other cars (e.g. 7 series) they do. If I find out anything more I'll be happy to post it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #12
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijioben View Post
Today was a great day for me: the coronation of a process that lasted more than a year and a half and ended up with the delivery of my brand new X3! You have all been very helpful with your suggestions and comments, and the least I can do is to return it in kind with my first impressions of my new car.

This is not the first X3 I drive: it is the third. I have posted separately my test drive impressions of the two dealership X3s I drove, an X35i (http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478451) and an X28i (http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480922) with very few packages. And yes, I think I can finally address the difference between VDC (or actually Dynamic Damper Control) and regular suspensions.

Here are the specs of my X3:

Model: X3 35i
Exterior: 475 Black Sapphire Metallic
Interior: LUSW Black Nevada Leather
Trim: 4DE Fineline Siena Wood Trim

Packages:
ZNE Technology Package
609 BMW On-Board Navigation
639 BMW Assist with Bluetooth
6AA BMW TeleServices
6AB Control BMW TeleServices
6NL BMW Assist w/extend Bluetooth
6VC Combox controller
ZNI Premium Package
316 Automatic Trunk
322 Comfort Access
3XL X-Line Package
402 Panorama Sunroof
430 Auto Dimming Exterior Mirrors
431 Auto Dimming Interior Mirror
508 Park Distance Control
ZNJ Executive Package
319 Universal Remote Control
3AH Rear View Camera With Top View
488 Lumbar Support
563 Lights Package
655 SIRIUS Satellite Radio Tuner
677 HiFi Sound System Professional
ZNR Dynamic Comfort Package
223 Dynamic Damper Control
2VG Performance Control Includes Dynamic Driving Control Modes (Normal, Sport, Sport+)
I had wanted a BMW since I tried an X6 more than two years ago. However, I did not have the money to buy an X6 the way I wanted it… So the rep who’d become my CA gave me the chance to try the 2009 X3. I liked it, but the difference with the X6 was just like night and day. He then called me about a year ago with some very special offers on the outgoing X3s and I nearly bought one, but I held off because the cost for that model was still not right, even at a deep discount. Am I glad I did!
In the meantime I had found this forum and I was reading about the new X3. In July I was very excited about the new model but I knew it’d take some time before I could test drive one. My CA called me back in November, letting me know that he was getting a couple of models in but if I wanted I could order one for myself at no obligation. Because he felt there was so much interest in the new X3, he told me he would not ask me for a deposit and I would not be under any obligation to purchase whatever I had ordered unless I really liked it. He also told me that in all likelihood I would be able to test-drive an X3 before mine arrived. He was right on all counts, and in fact I managed to test drive both the 35i and the 28i before my X3 shipped.

By then, I was absolutely certain I’d buy the X3 I had ordered. I was elated when the car arrived in Toronto, barely two weeks after production. I had hoped it’d get to the Prairies in at most a couple of weeks… But that was not in the cards. My X3 was delayed and did not leave Toronto until late February, and because it became a special delivery it was dropped off at night, on the lot, when the dealership was closed.

That morning my CA came to work and had a message on his answering machine. It was one of his customers, very apologetic because the night before, while checking out the lot, he had accidentally backed up into a black SUV. That’s when I got the included video. I was away at the time. I was not pleased. But when I inspected the work yesterday, a full 3 and a half months from the date of my order, I was relieved to find that the shop had replaced, not polished or refinished, all the affected parts and the car looked absolutely pristine. I was also told that since this was akin to a shipping incident, it would not be counted against certified BMW pre-owned vehicle if I ever decided to trade it in.

So all in all, this was an adventure! At least one with a happy ending. My CA prepared a nice gift package with mugs, cleaning kits, a travel bag, lots of literature, a new iPhone cable, and a few other things and I took delivery of the car today. In my inspection, I found some other minor blemishes – mostly packing tape rash. They will be taken care of and the car will be detailed again next week, of course for free. I have traditionally been extremely unlucky in anything new I acquire: my previous car was dinged while I was parked at the courthouse for Jury duty – some irony ha! And the car before that was parked outside on day 3 of my ownership when a kid on an out of control bike hit it and scratched the driver’s door. So this for me is small change… especially when it is taken care of for no money at all.

At the end of my first day in which I put about 100km on it (it’s still early) my initial impressions are amazingly positive. This car is all I hoped and more! I had tried the “base” 35i and had been impressed, but I must say that the Dynamic Comfort Package that includes DDC (or VDC as it is called somewhere else) and Performance Control makes a marked difference, one that puts this car absolutely over the top for me.
In regular drive, my X3 is very quiet. Its power is present but understated, and its character is somewhat dormant – not really sedate, but you need to “shake it to wake it” and by that I mean that there is a bit of throttle lag and that the car tends to upshift and privilege fuel economy over responsiveness. The steering feels softer than with the “base” X3 and the dampers are softer too, making the drive more of a “sedan experience” than an SAV. One thing that does not change at all is stability: the X3 may seem soft but when needed it stiffens and takes lots of lateral acceleration without misbehaving. I love the way the X3 enters a turn, with confidence and intelligence, making me look like a consummate pilot – and believe me I am just a regular driver. I tried a quick 3-turn 270 degrees road that I could barely approach at 40km/h and exit at 50-60km/h with my previous car (a Ford Edge): the X3 was perfectly stable entering at 50km/h and exiting at 70km/h – and with fresh snow on the road.

Where DDC makes all the difference though is in Sport mode. The “base” X3 has a DS mode activated by pushing the gearshift to the right. In this mode, the car maintains higher RPMs and the throttle is said to be more responsive. Even then, the “base” X3 for me still exhibits some throttle lag. It is subtle, but to me it is there. I am used to standards in which I have an immediate response so I notice the lag. The lag in D mode is higher still. As I said, this is not at all a problem, just a sensation. I feel like I have to plan the throttle in advance. This is Ok for everyday driving and hardly noticeable, by the way. But my personal taste drives me to try and eliminate that lag.

And that is exactly what the Sport mode achieves! The lag vanishes, the car is immediately responsive and, because the RPMs are kept higher, the turbo kicks in immediately, even for featherweight presses of the accelerator. Sport mode also adjusts the softness of the dampers, but to me this is very minor. I feel much better the change of steering: the soft feeling is gone, now the steering feels committed and secure, and although I understand what others say about the lack of wheel feedback, I can easily pick that from the rest of my body – and that leaves precision and control to my hands. I’m not sure if it is because of the DDC or just a sensation, but I think that my X3 corners even better than the other ones I tried.

I have tried Sport+ but I do not detect any difference aside from the change in stability mode to DTC. Since I am still in the break-in period, I have not tried the kick-down switch at the end of the accelerator (deep push) and I have not engaged the turbo at its maximum (far from it in fact). But even then, my new X3 is giving me pure driving joy. And now I get the slogan.

I include a few pictures of the delivery and my first drive. I went to the countryside (not so difficult in Regina – just head for the golf course) and enjoyed a fun ride that I look forward to repeating. Oh, and the ventilation system is amazing. I no longer need to plug a block heater in, nor do I need to pre-heat the car. At -20C, two minutes after I start my X3 I get warm air out of the vents. And the active air filter works wonders, as the air stayed fresh no matter whether I was in the country, in heavy traffic, or by the refinery just outside town. Amazing!.

As someone else said in the forum, the electronics in the car work wonders. The professional sound system is amazing, with crystal clear trebles and deep basses that convey power without mush. I did not even have to change the equalizer. If this is DIRAC sound, I’m sold. I still have to try the telephone interface and the voice commands. I did try the Bluetooth audio though. The sound is very clear as it uses the high definition sound protocol (headphones, not headsets) and the car recognized my iPhone immediately, although I had to make it detect it twice, once for the telephone function and the other for the iPod function. I will try to connect it with the cable – for now, I am so happy with the current setup I did not explore it further. If there is something I miss is the ability to use the 6NR BMW Apps. I have not tried but I expect it to fail. I hope that despite the many answers to the contrary BMW eventually offers a retrofit…

As usual, I’d like to conclude with a couple of notes on the dealership. In Regina, there is only one: Dilawri BMW. They have a captive audience and they can do anything they want to the customers. The stage is set for all sorts of bad behavior: but that has never happened to me. Any problem I had, any question I asked was answered competently and goodheartedly. I was given a good evaluation of my trade-off and even though the price on the car was firm, I was given a $1000 discount on it just by asking. The protection package I got was deeply discounted and the only thing I paid full MSRP for was the tire insurance. Even so, I was given free floor mats, free battery charge “maintainer”, a free comprehensive detailing worth $200, a full cleaning and care package, and a travel bag that is again worth at least $100 (I wanted the M model but I did not get that ). I was consistently given a full white glove treatment; true, one pays for it when buying a BMW. But from what I hear, this level of support is not at all guaranteed. I received it as a matter of course, always with a smile, and from everyone at the dealership – not just my CA: they are all competent professionals with a passion for their job. This to me is surprising and amazing and makes me a repeat customer.

So in conclusion I am having a blast that began today and I hope will last for however long I keep this jewel. I am extremely happy with everything and I am still exploring all the possibilities. I am looking forward to many more years of enjoyment, but when the time comes to change vehicle, I will definitely look at BMW again.

If you have any questions feel free to ask here or PM me… I’ll post more as I get to know my X3 better. Pictures and videos below.

Visual tour – my X3
How did you get the 28i premium rims on the 35i?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #13
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
How did you get the 28i premium rims on the 35i?
It's actually standard for Canadian sales. I was hoping for style 308, but that is standard in the 28i. The only other rims we can get are the 19" (styles 309 and 369M) and they require either the sport package or the M-sport package.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #14
iFroze
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
I have not seen a brand in the sound system at all. In Canada, as far as I know, this upgrade is all we can get. It is interesting though that the BMW "encyclopedia" of technology does not exactly specify the brand of the system, whereas for other cars (e.g. 7 series) they do. If I find out anything more I'll be happy to post it.
OK. Lets hope someone here could figure this one out. It may be that BMW is shy to tell us that the Sound System Pro is some unknown brand name. Otherwise, why this should be a mystery?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #15
haldol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Nice!!!

Please, give us more details about the Technology Package.
Are you intend to install the BMW Remote app?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 10:32 PM   #16
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldol View Post
Nice!!!

Please, give us more details about the Technology Package.
Are you intend to install the BMW Remote app?
Yes, I would like to install it. I have put the app on the iPhone but not managed to try it yet though - today I went for a ride, programmed the homelink remote, and tested audio via Bluetooth and BMW cable (I preferred Bluetooth, and the BMW cable I tried did not show the album art on the screen.).

In terms of other info - the Technology package for me means Navigation, which I have not explored much, but has 3D views of major cities, satellite view and guidance that can come from the web via Google Maps; and BMW Assist and the various services, which we activated on Saturday through a very pleasant phone call - but that I did not use today so I still have not many details on it. I'll try to use the Concierge service to find out how it works. Is there any other aspect I should check or be looking to test?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #17
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quick update: I have driven my X3 to the hills of Lumsden, SK and tested its climbing power and hill descent control. Everything worked very smoothly and I was able to go up and down icy hills and even stop mid-hill and start again. Having the auto-hold is of course a great asset. I also tested the cruise control at very low speeds (30km/h) just to see if it'd hold and had no problem at all.

The iPhone cable works but I can't see any album art. I will test the regular Apple cable next. And one thing I don't like is that if I connect the iPhone through the cable, it disables Bluetooth audio and it has to be re-enabled afterwards. If anyone has a remedy to this (better than "don't use the cable") please let me know.

This afternoon I'll try BMW apps in a non-6NR preparation... Just out of curiosity.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #18
haldol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Can you send a picture of the '6VC Combox controller' please.
What happen when you snap your iPhone in that thing?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #19
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldol View Post
Can you send a picture of the '6VC Combox controller' please.
What happen when you snap your iPhone in that thing?
Thanks.
The Combox controller is inside the car - I do not know where. But this is what happens when I plug in the phone: Bluetooth Audio is disabled, which is a major annoyance, and then the phone becomes an extension of the sound system. If I use the BMW cable, which I think is an old one, I do not see the album art but the sound is excellent. If I use the Apple cable, I can see the album art but the sound is slightly inferior in quality. If I use the Bluetooth connection that I have to reestablish after using plugging in the cable, the audio is at its best for my ears.

I will not use the connection very often - except in long trips. I think that the fact that the audio connection does not happen automatically is a defect and should be addressed in a future software update.

Also, without 6NR the BMW Applications app for the iPhone fails. It confirms what I thought but I was hoping that against all odds something would work...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #20
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

VDC vs no VDC

Quote:
And yes, I think I can finally address the difference between VDC (or actually Dynamic Damper Control) and regular suspensions
Hi Please confirm that WITHOUT the VDC the ride of an X3 is the same as with VDC on normal mode once and for all?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 12:50 AM   #21
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Also, without 6NR the BMW Applications app for the iPhone fails. It confirms what I thought but I was hoping that against all odds something would work...
No harm in trying!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #22
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
Hi Please confirm that WITHOUT the VDC the ride of an X3 is the same as with VDC on normal mode once and for all?
OK, I guess I should try to put this item to rest. First, please see the attached picture: it is the official word from BMW.

Now, about how it feels, at least to me.

The dampers in the car without VDC feel a bit softer than the ones in the Sport setting of the car with VDC. The level of softness to me is as follows:

soft
hard
+----------------------------+---------------+
VDC Normal
No VDC
VDC Sport
Please keep in mind this is subjective. Also, the change is noticeable but not dramatic.

As for the throttle control, this is exactly as indicated in the brochure. In Sport mode, a car with VDC reacts immediately to changes in pressure on the accelerator pedal, whereas a car with VDC in Normal mode or a car without VDC behave identically - with some amount of throttle lag.

Finally, the steering. I think that the attached chart is again correct here. I must say as an aside that centering of steering forces in the X3 seems a bit off when accelerating. Sometimes the stiffening of the wheel happens while making a control movement and this may lead one on the outside of a turn, which I think is the only less than optimal behaviour I found so far. But this is for another post.

I hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0