BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-18-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Apparent Profile Failure

Just had the car serviced to fix a sport seat and add sat radio. One of y'all questioned me on my configuration w/o it. I was confident I wouldn't miss it. I did. Re the seat. A connection came loose and the side bolsters stopped moving -- all better now. At the same time they upgraded the software. Haven't notice any difference, but I guess it was done.

I was happy in my expectation that this newer "profile" deal would ensure that my settings weren't lost. Either I misunderstood, something went wrong, I did something wrong, or it just plain didn't work.

Lost my seat position. I know I'm a whiny spoiled BMW owner, but dang it annoys my that the "perfect" position was just tossed to the wind. I shouldn't be so particular about it, and I shouldn't care, but I do. Also lost all my radio presets and the programmable buttons. The settings for DHP were not only lost, they switched to "Drivetrain Only".

The music on the HD stayed, address book stayed, mirrors stayed. All general settings for the car (lights, flashing, signals, tailgate height, etc.) all stayed. The profile with my name was still there, but loading it didn't return the "lost items".

Anyway, glad to have it back. The 328i loaner was nice enough, but I realized how much I've really grown to like the F25.

The consumption of the 328i was higher in traffic, lower on the highway. Given the amount of traffic I encounter on my daily commutes, kinda felt better about the F25!
      05-19-2011, 12:33 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Too late now but you can export profiles and then re-import them post upgrade (assuming it works)

Could you post what the software version number is? Just interested to see

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
bekind
Private
Rep
Drives: x3 35i

Yeah I agree, I would just export the profile to a thump drive and keep it handy. You can reimport at any time. You can even take that profile with you to your loaner car in the future and the applicable settings will be loaded there as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
Waffle
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 xDrive20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Just had the car serviced to fix a sport seat and add sat radio. One of y'all questioned me on my configuration w/o it. I was confident I wouldn't miss it. I did. Re the seat. A connection came loose and the side bolsters stopped moving -- all better now. At the same time they upgraded the software. Haven't notice any difference, but I guess it was done.

I was happy in my expectation that this newer "profile" deal would ensure that my settings weren't lost. Either I misunderstood, something went wrong, I did something wrong, or it just plain didn't work.

Lost my seat position. I know I'm a whiny spoiled BMW owner, but dang it annoys my that the "perfect" position was just tossed to the wind. I shouldn't be so particular about it, and I shouldn't care, but I do. Also lost all my radio presets and the programmable buttons. The settings for DHP were not only lost, they switched to "Drivetrain Only".

The music on the HD stayed, address book stayed, mirrors stayed. All general settings for the car (lights, flashing, signals, tailgate height, etc.) all stayed. The profile with my name was still there, but loading it didn't return the "lost items".

Anyway, glad to have it back. The 328i loaner was nice enough, but I realized how much I've really grown to like the F25.

The consumption of the 328i was higher in traffic, lower on the highway. Given the amount of traffic I encounter on my daily commutes, kinda felt better about the F25!
I'm hoping you can give some advice on memory seats / profile settings and automatic reseting.

I've set the memory seats and created profile settings but when I unlock the car I still have to pressure the memory '1' or '2'. I was expecting this to happen automatically when unloicking the car but haven't cracked it yet.

BMW F25 X3 xDrive20d SE
black sapphire | black nevada leather | wave wood | 19" double spoke alloys | xline | xenons | business advanced media package | electric seats | dab | extended storage | grey shade band | auto
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
cer2225
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle View Post
I'm hoping you can give some advice on memory seats / profile settings and automatic reseting.

I've set the memory seats and created profile settings but when I unlock the car I still have to pressure the memory '1' or '2'. I was expecting this to happen automatically when unloicking the car but haven't cracked it yet.
I too was just trying to figure this out. The manual says that the settings are tied to a key fob but it does not seem to work.

Also, how does the active profile affect the seat settings? I just can't figure out how the profile and these buttons work together... or do they?

Thanks
-CR
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 12:43 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Each key has its own profile that stores 2 settings for the driver's seat and mirrors. The settings are stored on the buttons 1 and 2 on the seat. The last key to unlock the car is active (you don't need to lock it again to switch profiles).

When unlocked, adjust seat and mirrors, press M then press 1 to store seat and mirror position as 1. Repeat for 2. Now you can press 1 or 2 to switch (don't press M). Switch profiles and lose your seat position by unlocking with another key and then when you come back to the car with your key it will pick up position 1 automatically *. You don't need to press anything or do anything other than unlock the car.

* I only use position 1 so I'm not sure what it does if you used 2 last

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 01:30 AM   #7
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I agree Nahoa, it's a pain to lose that "perfect" seat position. Went to get my airbag/belt tensioner fixed last Saturday and was surprised to find all my settings except for music settings had been wiped. Been messing with seat positions but it still seems "off," my butt hasn't been the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
Waffle
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 xDrive20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Each key has its own profile that stores 2 settings for the driver's seat and mirrors. The settings are stored on the buttons 1 and 2 on the seat. The last key to unlock the car is active (you don't need to lock it again to switch profiles).

When unlocked, adjust seat and mirrors, press M then press 1 to store seat and mirror position as 1. Repeat for 2. Now you can press 1 or 2 to switch (don't press M). Switch profiles and lose your seat position by unlocking with another key and then when you come back to the car with your key it will pick up position 1 automatically *. You don't need to press anything or do anything other than unlock the car.

* I only use position 1 so I'm not sure what it does if you used 2 last
Bingo! Started from scratch and it's working. Now my key will always activate M1 seat position and the spare key for my wife will always activate M2 seat position. All ready to go before the door is opened.

BMW F25 X3 xDrive20d SE
black sapphire | black nevada leather | wave wood | 19" double spoke alloys | xline | xenons | business advanced media package | electric seats | dab | extended storage | grey shade band | auto
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 12:25 AM   #9
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Too late now but you can export profiles and then re-import them post upgrade (assuming it works)

Could you post what the software version number is? Just interested to see
MX/TX-003.004.031

Of course, I didn't remember to check it before the "upgrade" to verify there was an upgrade . . . Have noticed a minor menu change. No BMW Apps, though.
      05-21-2011, 02:34 AM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
MX/TX-003.004.031

Of course, I didn't remember to check it before the "upgrade" to verify there was an upgrade . . . Have noticed a minor menu change. No BMW Apps, though.
Cool, thanks. Will check mine and compare

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #11
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Heading to service and looking to export the profile. Car on, insert USB drive in glove box (the handy one sent from BMW), navigate to profiles, select "Export" and it is "unsuccessful" over and over and over again. Out of things to try. Even tried it sitting in the back seat with the A/C cranked and the seat heater on. No dice. What am I missing?
      11-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #12
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Heading to service and looking to export the profile. Car on, insert USB drive in glove box (the handy one sent from BMW), navigate to profiles, select "Export" and it is "unsuccessful" over and over and over again. Out of things to try. Even tried it sitting in the back seat with the A/C cranked and the seat heater on. No dice. What am I missing?
Format the "gift" thumbdrive, then try it. I put a different thumbdrive in mine, but it was essentially blank. Export worked fine the first time. Import was a life-saver after the hitch was installed (and subsequent, 5 attempts, software upgrade). Time seemed to be reset to UTC +1, and the Sport drive option was set to suspension only. The import didn't fix either of those.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 05:48 AM   #13
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks. Gave it a try formatting a couple drives and still no success. Wondering if that USB port is goofed up.
      12-08-2011, 10:07 AM   #14
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Gave it a try formatting a couple drives and still no success. Wondering if that USB port is goofed up.
Nahoa, have you tried exporting your profile to BMW Online? You could narrow down the problem if this works but USB export doesn't
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #15
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

what's the link to that site? I have never seen that before.
      12-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #16
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by colson79 View Post
what's the link to that site? I have never seen that before.
I'm not sure if it's the same worldwide but in the UK it's

https://www.bmw-assist-login.com/cdp...portalframeset

under driver profiles
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #17
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's the same worldwide ...
Nope. At least, not via that web page URL.

At the bottom of the screen:
Deutschland England France Italia Kuwait Österreich UAE Netherlands

I think it's also related to having an iPhone or iPad in the car as well.

I work for Keyser Söze

Last edited by Razel; 12-08-2011 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #18
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Don't think we have that. Seems to have some relation to My BMW Remote feature differences.
      12-09-2011, 12:31 AM   #19
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Strange that it's not available in the US where you get online tracking and production videos whereas the rest of the world get neither of those.

I don't think it's related to iPhone as that is all under the My remote services menu above. I assumed (wrongly) that if you had BMW Assist with concierge you would get it

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 05:11 AM   #20
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I should have finished that though better. Was thinking it might be related because the My BMW Remote app requires a login that we don't have over here. Was thinking that might be your "Connected" login. We have Drivers's Lounge (if I remember correctly). Pretty much all that's there is that inaccurate tracking deal (fun anyway) and the video posting (which was also fun, but short-lived).