BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-09-2011, 07:03 AM   #1
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Rain-X

Do any of you guys use RainX? Do you recommend it?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

It's decent. For me seems to last about 2 weeks tops.

You want to clean your windows well before applying so the RainX can adhere to the glass, not a layer of dirt.

RainX does leave a greasy looking haze behind that can be buffed out but it takes some elbow grease.

There's another product called Aquapel Applicator. It's quite a bit more expensive for the # of applications you get, but supposedly it lasts much longer. I've never used it but the reviews say it's great.

I just bought a bottle of Invisible Glass with Rain Repellant. (Sounds smilar to RainX). I'll let you know what I think when I get a chance to try it.

Some people have said they use sealants like Klasse High Gloss Sealant on their windows. I may try that when my new car comes in. (Anyone with experience, let me know if that's a good or bad idea).

Last edited by Dukat; 09-09-2011 at 07:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
utcadman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Garage List
I use the rainX washer solution and it has pretty much the same effect if you use your washing system. Also not a bad de-icer...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
Penso di no
lapsed
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by utcadman View Post
I use the rainX washer solution and it has pretty much the same effect if you use your washing system. Also not a bad de-icer...
+1. Never have to "apply", just wash the windows now and then.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
flash3
Captain
Rep

Interesting. I'll give it a shot and see. Otherwise I'll order the other product mentioned above.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

I love Rain-X. Have used it for years. Really reduces the use of wipers in light rain.
For me, the best results seem to be achieved by:

1. Clean the glass really well. I like to use Stoner Invisiglass (in the pressurized aerosol can).
2. Thoroughly dry the glass with a paper towel.
3. Take a 8 x8 inch piece of paper towel, fold it by quarters to a four-layer 2X2 piece. Saturate the folded towel with liquid Rain-X (from the yellow plastic squeeze bottle)
4. Apply the liquid Rain-X to the glass using rapid circular motion covering about 1/2 of the windshield or one full side window.
5. Let it completely dry to a "haze" (usually takes less then one minute)
6. Fold another clean paper towel, as above, saturate it with Rain-X and repeat the application being sure to cover all of the glass surface, and again, let it fully dry,
7. Wipe the glass with a full sized, soft paper towel. This will remove most, but not all of the "haze".
8. Lightly sprinkle a few drops of clean water on the glass and quickly wipe with a fresh paper towel- The glass should be very clear now and the towel should slide very easily.
9. Fill your windshield washer tank with Orange Rain-X Cleaner/de-icer fluid. If there is already de-icer fluid in the tank, remove as much as possible. The new Rain-X fluid does not work nearly as well if it's diluted with the cheap blue or green stuff.

By using only Rain-X washer fluid, the original coat of concentrated Rain-X will last much longer. For me it will last about 2 months. I usually clean the windshield by hand with a Spray bottle filled with the orange Rain-X fluid and paper towels every 2 or 3 days to get dust, bugs and road grime off. Whenever I clean the windshield, I always give the wiper blades a quick wipe, also.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
I love Rain-X. Have used it for years. Really reduces the use of wipers in light rain.

1. Clean the glass really well. I like to use Stoner Invisiglass (in the pressurized aerosol can).
Have you ever tried Sprayway Glass Cleaner instead of the Stoner product? I think you can find it at Home Depot and the supermarket. Better cleaning and less streaking than any product I've ever used, including Stoner. It comes in a light blue and white aerosol can with '60's Suzy Homemaker graphics, but the stuff works great!
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
Have you ever tried Sprayway Glass Cleaner instead of the Stoner product? I think you can find it at Home Depot and the supermarket. Better cleaning and less streaking than any product I've ever used, including Stoner. It comes in a light blue and white aerosol can with '60's Suzy Homemaker graphics, but the stuff works great!
Will look out for it.
The Stoner works so much better than the usual "Windex" type cleaners, I've been quite happy with it. I think the "trick" with Invisiglass is to only let it foam for a few seconds and to wipe it quickly before it has a chance to dry. Also, it's essential to use a good, brand of paper towel - no prints, thick and absorbent.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
Marketor
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

Aquapel last longer than RainX (RainX is still an excellent product). Aquapel really bonds with the glass. It is visible when you apply the product. It leaves no greasy hazes. In my mind if you maintain your car with tender loving care, you want to use Aquapel. it is not that much expensive. There is a strict protocol to follow (available on their website) but it's not rocket science. I strongly recommend this product. I drove 4 hours during the Irene hurricane and I still felt I was driving an ultimate driving machine. ;-) I love my X3!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post

2. Thoroughly dry the glass with a paper towel.
3. Take a 8 x8 inch piece of paper towel, fold it by quarters to a four-layer 2X2 piece. Saturate the folded towel with liquid Rain-X (from the yellow plastic squeeze bottle)
4. Apply the liquid Rain-X to the glass using rapid circular motion covering about 1/2 of the windshield or one full side window.
5. Let it completely dry to a "haze" (usually takes less then one minute)
6. Fold another clean paper towel, as above, saturate it with Rain-X and repeat the application being sure to cover all of the glass surface, and again, let it fully dry,
7. Wipe the glass with a full sized, soft paper towel. This will remove most, but not all of the "haze".
8. Lightly sprinkle a few drops of clean water on the glass and quickly wipe with a fresh paper towel- The glass should be very clear now and the towel should slide very easily.
9. Fill your windshield washer tank with Orange Rain-X Cleaner/de-icer fluid. If there is already de-icer fluid in the tank, remove as much as possible. The new Rain-X fluid does not work nearly as well if it's diluted with the cheap blue or green stuff.

By using only Rain-X washer fluid, the original coat of concentrated Rain-X will last much longer. For me it will last about 2 months. I usually clean the windshield by hand with a Spray bottle filled with the orange Rain-X fluid and paper towels every 2 or 3 days to get dust, bugs and road grime off. Whenever I clean the windshield, I always give the wiper blades a quick wipe, also.
always a wealth of knowledge
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
flash3
Captain
Rep

Lotus,

Is this what you use?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_x_7050844-P_x_x
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #12
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marketor View Post
Aquapel last longer than RainX (RainX is still an excellent product). Aquapel really bonds with the glass. It is visible when you apply the product. It leaves no greasy hazes. In my mind if you maintain your car with tender loving care, you want to use Aquapel. it is not that much expensive. There is a strict protocol to follow (available on their website) but it's not rocket science. I strongly recommend this product. I drove 4 hours during the Irene hurricane and I still felt I was driving an ultimate driving machine. ;-) I love my X3!
Did you end up with water in your passenger footwell like some of the others???
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #13
Marketor
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

No
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #14
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3 View Post
Yes. I've always used the original liquid.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web..._7050844-P_x_x

Here's the washer cleaner/anti-freeze that's compatible with the glass treatment:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...T|GRP2077_____
They have some newer versions, including a spray, which I haven't ever tried. The original material seems to last if applied correctly, and I'm used to it. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks!
Plus, you can do a large windshield with less then a half once, so one plastic bottle is usually good for a year or more. Using more than necessary only makes it harder to wipe off, so use it sparingly.

However, I have heard good things about Trico's Aquapel. Mainly that it works about the same as Rain X, but lasts longer. Certainly sounds like it's worth a try. Thanks Marketor!

http://www.amazon.com/Aquapel-88625-...pr_product_top

One caution: both of the glass treatments mentioned are in solvent bases so care should be taken to avoid getting any on your paint. The wiper fluid is mostly water with a little methanol, so won't damage paint.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 09:40 PM   #15
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Monday (Labor Day) was Brake Dust Day, and tomorrow is looking like Windows Day. Thanks for the timely tips.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 08:21 AM   #16
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Lotus, do you have any trouble with the RainX "pushing around" and collecting at the wiper turnaround points? Or, was that why you added the last step with the drops of water? Get rid of excess product after making sure to cover well? If not, any ideas what I might be doing wrong? (Well, I mean just with applying the RainX for the moment . . .)
      09-10-2011, 08:34 AM   #17
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

+1 on aquapel. it's the same glass treatment lexus use for their "water-repelling windows"

it's been 3 years since aquapel treatment. rain drops still roll-up the windshield while driving on the highway, but not as slippery as when newly treated.

car is parked underground most of the time so that helped with longevity

p.s. can be had for cheap at ebay too.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #18
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Lotus, do you have any trouble with the RainX "pushing around" and collecting at the wiper turnaround points? Or, was that why you added the last step with the drops of water? Get rid of excess product after making sure to cover well? If not, any ideas what I might be doing wrong? (Well, I mean just with applying the RainX for the moment . . .)
I haven't noticed it accumulating at the wiper end points, but it does eventually just wear off and disappears. I assume it's carried away in the rainwater.

I really do try to rub it out as much as possible and think the "sprinkle with water and wipe" is critical, as well as changing the paper towels as necessary when cleaning. (I save the towels I've used on the windshield for cleaning the brake dust off the wheels also using the Rain-X "orange" in a spray bottle). Otherwise I'll see "smears" in bright sunlight.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 09:11 AM   #19
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

I have the Stoner window cleaner with rain repellant.

If I used Aquapel and then over the weeks/months use the Stoner cleaner+rain repellant product for routine cleanings, will the chemicals in the Stoner products wear off the Aquapel coating?

Last edited by Dukat; 09-10-2011 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #20
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Half a roll of paper towels later, my windows are perfect. Now I need a plastic owl to keep the birds away.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 08:05 PM   #21
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
Half a roll of paper towels later, my windows are perfect. Now I need a plastic owl to keep the birds away.
Here's the perfect solution to the "bird problem":
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #22
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
Save those "ex-window" paper towels, they're great for cleaning the wheels using windshield washer fluid.

Hope I'm not risking carpal tunnel syndrome between cleaning the windshield and especially the tailgate window about every 3-days and removing the brake dust from the wheels every 5 or 6.
Appreciate 0