BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-02-2017, 08:19 AM   #23
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

I am in the Dominican Republic (are here 2 months)and cannot keep answering because of time restraints (beach calling and awful wi-fi)and it is fruitless with differing opinions.

Having said that, even the dealers say many of these options options are a complete rip off but their bread and butter for profits. I have a very close friend at the top of the chain who is completely in the know and advises me on how to proceed.

I purchased an ex BMW management vehicle and in 10 months and 9k miles it dropped from £53k to £35k. People can put whatever slant on the difference be it mark up or desirability or R&D the original price is a ripoff because mark up on additions above base spec. That includes LEds over Xenons. You can drive just as fast on both. Anyone saying otherwise is living in cloud cuckoo land. Perhaps a fool and his money are easily parted.

Now as I said in my very first response, I think the OP should accept the car. Option 2 I think.

End off thread response as far as I am concerned. Bye
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium

Last edited by Peter_R; 02-02-2017 at 08:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 10:00 AM   #24
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

Gee's looks like I have opened a can of worms with this thread.....

Still awaiting dealer to respond but just wondering if there was possibility of a third option - retrofit the LED units - presumably a simple swop over and recoding exercise?

Thanks for all the comments guys, I will definately be going down the option 2 route, whether it comes with LED or not, just the six week wait to contend with - don't want two X3's on the drive - my current one will get jealous...,
      02-02-2017, 11:21 AM   #25
PerryGunn
Idiot-in-chief
Rep
Drives: around: in: circles:

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gullyg View Post
But if it were possible, the best option imho would be to get both systems side by side. Unfortunately the nature of these things means this isn't always possible as dealers couldn't afford the cost of speccing every option let along multiple vehicles to give the details.
We have just done something very similar, not side-by-side but sequentially - due to an administrative cock-up we had the dealer's demo 30d with adaptive Xenons on loan for the best part of two weeks over Christmas and New Year until our new 30d with adaptive LEDs was ready.

We had originally spec'd the adaptive Xenon Lighting Package but changed them to the full adaptive LED system just before build lockdown. Additional cost (with discounts) for the change was approx. £400

Having driven with both lighting systems during some of the darkest/murkiest days of the year, I can say that, IMO, the adaptive LEDs are superior to the adaptive Xenons, whiter, brighter light, better light distribution, beam splitting - whether it's £400 better is a subjective matter and YMMV but, for me at least, I think it was worth the extra
      02-08-2017, 04:03 AM   #26
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I wonder if the LED headlamp / xenon confusion is more widespread than first thought, I had a look at the bmw approved website and many of the X3's advertised as having 'LED Headlamps' are infact xenons units.
      02-14-2017, 10:30 AM   #27
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Had a phone call from the leasing company today and the plot thickens, whilst I am still awaiting confirmation of the 'deal' to the done re the spec error I am now being told that there is an issue between BMW UK and the BMW dealer who is supplying the vehicle.

Apparently the rates the dealer agreed with the leasing company are not what BMW UK allow therefore BMW UK have blocked the dealer from supplying the vehicles. The leasing company are trying to get BMW UK to allow these vehicles through on the basis that the deal has been done with the dealer (there are 3 X3's stuck at present) and any future leasing deals be at the correct price.

My X3 is due to go back in 4 weeks and the not knowing is getting me down, really hope everything goes to plan and I get the X3 I ordered but at the back of mind I am thinking its all going to go pear shaped and i'm going to be stuck without a vehicle! If this happens then I will be leaving the BMW brand and going elsewhere....
      02-15-2017, 01:14 PM   #28
Kiernan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition/911 GTS

wow, sounds like a bit of a roller coast ride just to get a new car.

Hopefully they'll see sense pretty soon and it'll put your mind at rest. I guess it's taken all the excitement away, so even if you get some good news, it still won't feel too great.

All I can say is that I hope you get it resolved, as the car will be worth it in the end. Let us know what happens.
      02-17-2017, 09:56 AM   #29
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well a bit of good news at last!

Dealer is now able to supply the vehicle and due to error of the LED Headlamps being missed off has agreed to install LED interior lamps (there are two accessory options on the BMW website and this saves me trying to swop them over myself - I remember the ones in the bottom of the rear doors were a nightmare because the wiring is really tight!), a full tank of fuel, trailer delivery to my home address and the service pack so I am once again a happy bunny!! I also save around £600 on the lease due to non LED headlamps so don't think I have done too badly considering I was in two minds if to order the LED headlamps in the first place.

Should be with me for when requested - mid March.
      02-17-2017, 03:00 PM   #30
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Sounds good to me.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 06:01 PM   #31
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

I've been happy with my Xenon. Best headlights I've had on a car. My previous car had Xenons too, but they didn't move with the steering.

Save money, and only 3 years. Go option 2 unless it is one of those things that will just nag you. And nag you.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 08:20 PM   #32
Schmullis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 3.5i XLine

I say go with the adaptive Xenon's. I have them in my 2016 X3 and they are great.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 03:55 AM   #33
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep

well after another couple weeks of problems with contracts getting signed by all parties I finally get my new X3 today!! It was uncanny the timing of the phone call to confirm delivery as I was just waving off my current X3 when I received the call.

Only problem is its raining + carbon black = dirty car