BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-10-2016, 07:59 PM   #67
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
We went with a very basic X3 last fall when the wife needed a new vehicle. She wanted to stay below $40k and didn't want any of the tech gadgets as she would never put the effort into learning how to use them.
So we got basic sDrive 28i with lighting pkg, rear view camera, and rear sun shades.

The lighting package makes such a huge difference here on the unlit roads. It's much brighter than the halogen lights, and the way it moves with the roads makes it perfect with the windy roads we have here.

The rear view camera and parking sensors are great when she needs to get into/out of tight spots at work, and the rear sun shades is to keep the baby in back sleeping well.

Over all sticker was a tad above $42k but with negotiations we got it for about $38k + TTL.

Wife uses it as daily commuter to/from work and weekend grocery vehicle. She loves it.

Since it was so basic, we had to order it and it took almost 2 months from order to delivery.

We're not worried about resale as she plans to keep it for 10+ years.
I don't really ilunderstand point of the 2 wheel drive X3. If you aren't driving in snow why do you need extra ground clearance of X3. Just get the 3 series wagon. It will handle better.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 12:22 AM   #68
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i Touring MSport

Because an X3 has a higher driving position, which gives you a better view over the road. Also because the BMW 3 series is very low, it is terrible to get in and out. Some people , like me, have some troubles with their back (not everybody here is 21 you know... )

The X3 is more capable of being driven on roads that are not level, without the road scraping against and likely damaging the chassis and underbody.
4x4 is not always needed (however I would always go for it.)

Last edited by Portimao318; 08-11-2016 at 12:40 AM..
Appreciate 1
Scout1086.00
      08-12-2016, 12:52 AM   #69
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endre2 View Post
Because an X3 has a higher driving position, which gives you a better view over the road. Also because the BMW 3 series is very low, it is terrible to get in and out. Some people , like me, have some troubles with their back (not everybody here is 21 you know... )

The X3 is more capable of being driven on roads that are not level, without the road scraping against and likely damaging the chassis and underbody.
4x4 is not always needed (however I would always go for it.)
I don't think the x3 gives you a better view of the road in fact I think it is much worse than 3 series. The seats go up and down so if you want a higher seat in 3 series you could just raise it. If you are driving off road I would not getting an X3. Get a 4 runner or a jeep.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 03:24 AM   #70
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
It is not often that this happens, but I absolutely agree with this. As you get older you stiffen up. In fact we found getting in an out of the our 3 series (F31 320d Sport) such a problem, we part exchanged it after 2 years for an F25 x3 xDrive30d MSport.
Quote:
Yes!!! Also agree with the above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
I don't think the x3 gives you a better view of the road in fact I think it is much worse than 3 series. The seats go up and down so if you want a higher seat in 3 series you could just raise it. If you are driving off road I would not getting an X3. Get a 4 runner or a jeep.
On the contrary the X3 has better all round visibility. My wife never liked the 3 series and would not drive it even with the seat in the fully raised position. It was her who finally convinced me (it did not take much) to purchase the X3. It is also a far better proposition to drive on uneven UK backroads, although we would not drive it off road for any distance.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 12:33 PM   #71
poiuytre111
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 sdrive 1.8 & E81 120D

I also preferred the 2wd X3; I like the X3 driving position, ease of entry, space etc. but preferred to avoid the extra weight and potential fault risk of the extra transmission components - also 4wd is apparently fussy about tyres in a way that none of my previous 2wd BMWs have been. Only drawback is that I would have bought a 3litre manual 2wd but they don't make one.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 11:42 AM   #72
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
I don't really ilunderstand point of the 2 wheel drive X3. If you aren't driving in snow why do you need extra ground clearance of X3. Just get the 3 series wagon. It will handle better.
Because the way my house was built, anything less than a SUV will cause the vehicle to scrape/bottom out when entering/exiting. Even many SUV/Pickup trucks scrape when entering our driveway (i.e. Ford explorer, Ford F150)

So we have no choice.

Where we are, there is no snow and the weather is 60's nearly year round.

Plus the RWD model is more fuel efficient, less complex to fix if anything goes wrong, and lower maintenance costs.

The 3 series wagon would have it's front and rear bumpers scratched and likely ripped off the first time it tried to go up our driveway.

Plus with my back surgery, it's hard to bend down to get in and out of a 3 series (or any sedan for that matter).

Oh and the way parking is around here, most sedans scrape or rip their lower front fenders when they try to park due to the height of the parking stop/bump. This is not an issue with an X3.

That in addition to the better/easier view due to the added height.

Many reasons why a RWD X3 is better than a 3 series.

We already have my MB E350 AWD wagon for when we do go north where it snows. and my wagon scrapes every time we enter or exit our driveway so we try to use it as little as possible. When it comes time to replace it, it'll be another SUV. Likely the X5, GLE/GLS, XC90, or Levante.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 12:54 PM   #73
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I too would take a RWD option if one was available here, AWD is the all time greatest cons for urban driving. Even id severe snow belt regions, a set of winter tyres is far less expensive in the long run and does a far, far better job than AWD.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 03:12 PM   #74
djnemo
Rep
Drives: FJ Cruiser

Checking in after a year of owning my 2016 X3 x28i. White with black interior, no options. Overall, I am happy I went with a stock X3 rather than a loaded Ford Escape, Kia Sportage and the like.

Likes: Love the handling, takes corners like a sedan. Solid stock sound system. IDrive. Practical - easy to fit two car seats in back seat and good cargo space. No problems at all so far with the car.

Dislikes: uncomfortable front seats, seat bottom too short, lack of lumbar support and side bolsters are lacking. 6.5 inch screen a little small. And not really the car's fault, but white X3's in the San Francisco bay area are as common as CRVs - would have been nice to get a car that I don't see everyday.

Overall happy with my purchase, and didn't want to spend $5k at the time on the lumbar package and the sport seats. However, when my lease is up, I will definitely get the sport package and a more unique color (Estoril Blue?) if I stick with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 04:08 PM   #75
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Cool to check in and update. I bought my wife a used X3 but it came loaded to the gills. She loves it. I have a '15 Gran Coupe and not nearly as loaded. While having the options in her truck is nice, I don't miss them a bit in my car. I do just find without nav (hers actually is super annoying to have in the peripheral vision. Yes, I know I can turn it off lol). The leather is nice but I'm fine with my Sensatec. What I DO like is the birds eye view of cams for parking etc. While my car has a rear view cam (DAP), hers as the multiple cams. It's awesome. I'd consider that on my next car. The best part is she doesn't destroy her wheels by curbing them due to the feature. Pays for itself .
      06-09-2017, 10:18 PM   #76
Scout10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 X28i

You can get a 2017 X3 w/toys for <$40k.....
Look at the demo / loaners, and remember its going a year
down as 2018 is at the door steps.
And resale is of no concern? Ford Escape.... Kia Sportage ??
There is no comparison. And those two don't cost $40K

AND....before i bought the Ford or Kia . . .. . look at the Honda Crv a CR top pick for decades, safe, dependable
decent in the snow, and hold its value ! ! !
We are on the 3rd one. Zero issues on any. The 2005 died early due to a cell Phone user,
doing speed X2.5, blew the stop sign and totaled it.
1965 Chevrolet Corvette 327 / 4spd Convt

Last edited by Scout10; 06-11-2017 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 08:27 AM   #77
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

There are certain features in my more feature laden one I could live without. Builtin Nav is nice, but it is so much cheaper on a smartphone that you may already have. But you have to get Nav to get some other options I wanted.

Satellite Radio I could live without, since I also listen to music stored on my phone. Or I could do an internet radio subscription.

I like my HUD, but if I had never had it I wouldn't miss it.

But at some point you have to say enough is enough. An X5 is larger, but more expensive. The 6 cylinder is faster, but more expensive.

I didn't really need leather, but some other options forced that.

The xenon lights are nicer than the halogen, but I didn't spend the extra money for LED. But I had never had xenon lights before. And don't drive in areas where I can use my brights often anyway.
Appreciate 0