BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-06-2016, 06:06 PM   #1
elimpfor
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i MY17

Test drove the X4 M40i today

Went with the GF to an dealer in Ottawa to have a look at the X4 M40i they just received (Carbon Black with Mocha interior). Salesman unexpectedly offered to test drive it which we happily accepted.

Test drive lasted about 30-40 minutes, mostly in the city and some long streches of road where we could give it more.

First of all, the sound it makes is amazing. I had seen the video on Youtube (posted below), but it really doesn't give it justice. In real life, it is louder and has a low-frequency rumble that is amazing. When you floor it in Sport mode (or Sport+), it really goes. I mean you get pushed back in your seat and you better have a good grip on the steering. Speaking of steering, it is super sharp and you really do feel a difference in dynamics when you change modes. When you corner, there is very little roll and you feel the large tires grip the road like it's on track. I was extremely impressed for a crossover (or Sport Activity Coupe or whatever they want to call it). Didn't play too much with the tech, but it was loaded with HUD, Driving Assistant Plus and so on.

My only gripe is the interior is somewhat disappointing, seems like a big gap between the X3/X4 and X5/X6 in quality, I wish they would have put more effort, especially for a M-sport model. The rear seats are not great, I am 6'2 and can almost touch the roof and I can definitely touch the front seat with my knees if the driver doesn't move his seat up. But then again, who cares about rear passengers? Trunk is also smaller than I would have wanted, but again if you go for a specific SUV/Coupe look, you will have to compromise in space somewhere. Rear visibility is not as bad as I though, but I would probably E-SYS enable the rear video camera while driving just for fun...

One thing is sure, the X4 M40i is definitely the best of the X4 by far, if the X4 is something you are looking at.

Last edited by elimpfor; 02-06-2016 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: Added info about rear visibility
Appreciate 2
      02-06-2016, 06:28 PM   #2
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by elimpfor View Post
Went with the GF to an dealer in Ottawa to have a look at the X4 M40i they just received (Carbon Black with Mocha interior). Salesman unexpectedly offered to test drive it which we happily accepted.

Test drive lasted about 30-40 minutes, mostly in the city and some long streches of road were we could give it more.

First of all, the sound it makes is amazing. I had seen the video on Youtube (posted below), but it really doesn't give it justice. In real life, it is louder and has a low-frequency rumble that is amazing. When you floor it in Sport mode (or Sport+), it really goes. I mean you get pushed back in your seat and you better have a good grip on the steering. Speaking of steering, it is super sharp and you really do feel a difference in dynamics when you change modes. When you corner, there is very little roll and you feel the large tires grip the road like it's on track. I was extremely impressed for a crossover (or Sport Activity Coupe or whatever they want to call it). Didn't play too much with the tech, but it was loaded with HUD, Driving Assistant Plus and so on.

My only gripe is the interior is somewhat disappointing, seems like a big gap between the X3/X4 and X5/X6 in quality, I wish they would have put more effort, especially for a M-sport model. The rear seats are not great, I am 6'2 and can almost touch the roof and I can definitely touch the front seat with my knees if the driver doesn't move his seat up. But then again, who cares about rear passengers? Trunk is also smaller than I would have wanted, but then again if you go for a specific look, you have to compromise.

One thing is sure, the X4 M40i is definitely the best of the X4 by far, if the X4 is something you are looking at.

Cool... lucky you. I used my dealer's only production slot when I ordered mine (they can't get another before April's allocations) and so I have a couple of weeks to wait before I can even test drive it.

And now I am thinking to myself that Ottawa is just 2 hours away.....
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2016, 06:58 PM   #3
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Did you notice if it had the 20" wheels or the 19" ?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 07:29 PM   #4
elimpfor
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

It had the 20". They look great, and thankfully they are not run flats.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2016, 07:34 PM   #5
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

In comfort mode, would you say it is harsh (I.e. compared to a 3 series xdrive) or smooth ?

I hesitated a little when ordering but chose the 20" in the end. I was a little worried about the ride quality with rims that big.

GG
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 07:41 PM   #6
elimpfor
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I wouldn't call it harsh, but you do feel the road bumps and cracks. The roads we were on were crappy due to winter, which is probably the worst condition for a suspension, yet it was still driveable.

I would say that you feel connected to the road, but you are not driving on a cloud (had test driven a GLE with AIRMATIC as well as a Q7 with Air suspension, now that is smooth!)
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2016, 08:02 PM   #7
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Did you notice anything different with the transmission compared to other BMW's that have the ZF 8speed or was it basically the same?

GG
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 08:09 PM   #8
elimpfor
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

The only other BMW I can compare to is the BMW X5 35d and the X3 28d, which had smooth transmissions.

The M40i in comfort mode, you don't feel shifts at all. I mean it is really smooth. In Sport and Sport+ mode, it shifts really quickly and when you go in manual mode, it will actually let you bounce off the redline. I have to say, it is better than the GLE for sure. I also noticed that it regularly picks the right gear and leaving it in Sport-Automatic mode is still a very fun experience. As soon as you floor it, it downshifts 1 or 2 gears for instant power (and instant fun).
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2016, 08:31 PM   #9
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

As many of us suspected. A wonderful drive-train, outdated interior...

I cant wait for the next generation.

Hoping that it's a shorter bridge to X5/X6 quality in design and material. That said, I personally don't mind the current interior design and my wife adores her X4 28i (2016). Its just not upscale enough for me yet.

Last edited by midwest 340xi 6sp; 02-06-2016 at 08:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2016, 01:21 AM   #10
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Advice for everybody, that have to make do with current 35i:
-install Klappen - see pic. In Sport mode same sound as M40i - in Track mode better
-when overtaking - save half a second by going to MAN, starting at about 3500 rpm.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-07-2016, 01:30 AM   #11
Tjalle
Major
Rep

I forgot: they seem to have improved handling on M40i- without lowering. I got significant improvement by installing H&R.

Note: warning for less comfort on bad roads.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 05:56 AM   #12
SANK_CH
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: A Number 4

Quote:
First of all, the sound it makes is amazing. I had seen the video on Youtube (posted below), but it really doesn't give it justice. In real life, it is louder and has a low-frequency rumble that is amazing. When you floor it in Sport mode (or Sport+), it really goes. I mean you get pushed back in your seat and you better have a good grip on the steering. Speaking of steering, it is super sharp and you really do feel a difference in dynamics when you change modes. When you corner, there is very little roll and you feel the large tires grip the road like it's on track.
Thx Elimpfor, it sounds very promising
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2016, 06:35 AM   #13
Tjalle
Major
Rep

SANK, congrats, I know you have been waiting....
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2016, 12:31 PM   #14
SANK_CH
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Hi Tjalle,

And I remember when I ordered my X3 F25 I was at that time smiling at VW drivers waiting 8 monthes for they new car. Now I stopped smiling...

at least late april and during may, the ocean might quiet and my car will have a safe trip to Europe.

But I m still very curious about the sound. Elimpfor can you confirm one statement made on a german forum from a german guy, who said it was one of the best sound he heard coming from a BMW since many years. And he prefered the sound of the m40i over the actual M3/M4's sound. (Even some ppl already saying the M2 makes a better sound than the M3/M4).
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2016, 02:05 PM   #15
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Thanks elimpfor congrats

And for everyone else, I know we're all eagerly waiting for ours!

I am week 9 production

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 1
      02-08-2016, 02:43 PM   #16
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBNYC View Post
I am week 9 production
The production slot I was lucky enough to get at the last minute(literally the last day that they could change the order to my specs) was week #5.

GG
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2016, 03:12 PM   #17
elimpfor
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANK_CH View Post
Hi Tjalle,

And I remember when I ordered my X3 F25 I was at that time smiling at VW drivers waiting 8 monthes for they new car. Now I stopped smiling...

at least late april and during may, the ocean might quiet and my car will have a safe trip to Europe.

But I m still very curious about the sound. Elimpfor can you confirm one statement made on a german forum from a german guy, who said it was one of the best sound he heard coming from a BMW since many years. And he prefered the sound of the m40i over the actual M3/M4's sound. (Even some ppl already saying the M2 makes a better sound than the M3/M4).
Sound is so subjective... Yes it is awesome, the thing that got me was the low-frequency rumble that it does when moving around in low speed (such as a parking lot). It is definitely a head turner, no doubt. Didn't mention this in my original post but the salesman actually went in the garage to quickly clean it before the test drive, so we were outside maybe 5 minutes looking around other cars. When he came back, we only turned our heads because of the sound it made leaving the garage, it is that impressive. Now, is it better than the M3 or M4? I guess it will be for certain people and might not be for others, but one thing I am sure is that it is breathtaking and loud. BMW did something special to it and it will bring a lot of attention, good or bad.

Not sure if this answers the question, probably not. You have to hear it in real life...
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2016, 12:21 AM   #18
Tjalle
Major
Rep

elimpfor, there is a video of a Russian car being tested with STD and Klappenshalldämpfer in the thread; "Has anyone installed Klappen....."
As can be heard in that video, Klappen has two modes - legal and illegal. My reading from the video with the white M40i, is that the sound in legal mode is identical with M40i.

Since I have Klappen - it is even more impressive in real life than video

Can you comment?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 06:16 AM   #19
SANK_CH
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Sound is so subjective... Yes it is awesome, the thing that got me was the low-frequency rumble that it does when moving around in low speed (such as a parking lot). It is definitely a head turner, no doubt. Didn't mention this in my original post but the salesman actually went in the garage to quickly clean it before the test drive, so we were outside maybe 5 minutes looking around other cars. When he came back, we only turned our heads because of the sound it made leaving the garage, it is that impressive.
Not sure if this answers the question, probably not. You have to hear it in real life...
Yes it answered very well the question thank Elimpfor. I don't know if you are going to take an X4, but I can confirm you one of your statement. The X4 is definitely a head turner, and this even without the m40i badge on it. After 1,5 year owing one, I m still surprised how ppl and how much ppl look at the car.
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2016, 04:22 PM   #20
elimpfor
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjalle View Post
elimpfor, there is a video of a Russian car being tested with STD and Klappenshalldämpfer in the thread; "Has anyone installed Klappen....."
As can be heard in that video, Klappen has two modes - legal and illegal. My reading from the video with the white M40i, is that the sound in legal mode is identical with M40i.

Since I have Klappen - it is even more impressive in real life than video

Can you comment?
Yeah I think it sounds very close indeed. Not sure what the camera mic sensitivity is but it does really sound similar to the M40i, might be slightly more aggressive though.

Mind you that we currently have sub-zero temperatures here and when I tested the M40i, the engine might have seem louder as a side-effect of temperature-based engine management via higher rpm during a cold-start.

Last edited by elimpfor; 02-09-2016 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 04:25 PM   #21
elimpfor
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANK_CH View Post
Yes it answered very well the question thank Elimpfor. I don't know if you are going to take an X4, but I can confirm you one of your statement. The X4 is definitely a head turner, and this even without the m40i badge on it. After 1,5 year owing one, I m still surprised how ppl and how much ppl look at the car.
I'm debating between the GLE 450 AMG (non-coupe) and the X4 M40i, different class I know but they are about the same price. The interior of the GLE is much better (it is also one class higher) and you can get carbon trim inside which you can't on the M40i (which is odd). The M40i is definitely, without a doubt, the sportiest of both and better sounding.

The M40i was just so much fun...! Ugh... Decisions!

I'm giving myself a few weeks to think about it and negotiating with both camps to see which can give me a better deal.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 12:45 AM   #22
Tjalle
Major
Rep

elimpfor, thanks for INFO. I believe same supplier, located in the UK. I asked for a cut-through of my Klappen, but they answered that it was confidential - which of course is bull - anybody who wants to copy can buy and cut up a muffler.

There is M Performance interior carbon trim, which you can have dealer-installed- see current discussion on X3 thread.

Even carbon for outer rear mirrors and a carbon spoiler.
Appreciate 1