BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-16-2023, 11:56 AM   #1
Hamim
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3

2015 BMW X3 xDrive28i possible transmission isuses.

I recently purchased a 2015 BMW X3 xDrive28i with 75,000 miles. About two weeks after driving it, I noticed the car seemed to get stuck in second gear while revving up but not moving past 20-30 mph. It would do this once every 3 days or so. No lights popped up whenever it happened.

I took it to a trusted shop who looked at the data after hooking it up and not seeing anything faulty, and recommended to perform due maintenance for the mileage to see if that may fix the occasional issue. It was driven for two days by them and they could not replicate the issue.

They mentioned that the transmission fluid is lifetime but ZF recommends it at 75,000. So, they did that along with the transfer case fluid. They test drove it and had a similar incident happen, and then reset the computer.

3 days passed and I had a similar incident happen, but no error codes on the dash. It seems like it goes into limp mode for a minute and then stops.

Just trying to get a feel on what it could be before taking it in for another inspection.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 11:31 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

First, don't read too much into there not being a light on the dash. You can scan a car and find lots of stored error codes in different modules, none of which triggered a dash light. Second, there are some purely mechanical issues that won't trigger an error code. Third, don't assume it's a transmission or transfer case issue. Limp mode can be triggered by a number of things. Fourth, w/o actually being able to drive your car, it is not possible to guess what is going on.

Finally, I have no idea what "trusted" shop means because many posts like yours say that. Trusted usually means "where I've gone in the past" but is not necessarily synonymous with good. If it is not a shop that specializes in BMWs, find one that does.

Last edited by Opie55; 04-17-2023 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 0