BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-15-2023, 10:36 PM   #1
fastsoup
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i M Sport

Thought it was the expansion tank

Howdy,

A few weeks ago I made a post about a potential coolant leak on my 2011 X3 35i. After looking around, I "assumed" the crude build up around my expansion tank was a small hairline leak...even though there was no evidence of coolant color or odor anywhere near the tank. I replaced it, and today I noticed a drip under the car. After removing the belly pan, I noticed a small drip from the bottom corner on the driver's side. I checked around the hoses but I think the leak is coming from the rad itself where the plastic end wraps around the rad. I've attached some photos and even a video clip in hopes someone can help chime in and confirm I need to replace the rad.

Here is the video...I kept wiping where that drip comes and didn't notice any fluid above that area...just in that corner:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/o1z9oAMSZyhabA2f6
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 01:19 AM   #2
Dekero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35I

My Daughters 2011 was leaking the same way ...basically the crimp on the end of the radiator has failed... Be sure to get your replacement from FCP euro so if it does it again they can pay for it...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 11:11 AM   #3
fastsoup
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekero View Post
My Daughters 2011 was leaking the same way ...basically the crimp on the end of the radiator has failed... Be sure to get your replacement from FCP euro so if it does it again they can pay for it...
Thanks...I'm in Canada so I grabbed a Nissen off RockAuto. Did you replace it yourself? Any tips? I cannot find a DIY anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 04:47 PM   #4
okayr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 xDrive28i

I have the same exact leak spot!
I just ran a can of Liqui Moly stop leak and have seen any drips form yet.. but it was only done Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 05:48 PM   #5
fastsoup
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by okayr View Post
I have the same exact leak spot!
I just ran a can of Liqui Moly stop leak and have seen any drips form yet.. but it was only done Saturday.
Definitely not a permanent fix...mine is now bubbling when hot and will only get worse.

I cannot believe there are no DIY videos for the F25 X3 radiator swap.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 05:57 PM   #6
Dekero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35I

Couldn't find a diy either...

But once you get the radiator fan removed and disconnect all the hoses... the radiator itself tilts back at the top and then lifts out of the engine compartment and then it's backwards from there...

I wasted a lot of time thinking the top of the radiator was bolted down and I kept trying to remove bolts that had nothing to do with it... Lean it back from the top and lift it out.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 08:05 PM   #7
fastsoup
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekero View Post
Couldn't find a diy either...

But once you get the radiator fan removed and disconnect all the hoses... the radiator itself tilts back at the top and then lifts out of the engine compartment and then it's backwards from there...

I wasted a lot of time thinking the top of the radiator was bolted down and I kept trying to remove bolts that had nothing to do with it... Lean it back from the top and lift it out.
Got it out tonight...definitely easier than it looks.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 09:58 AM   #8
fastsoup
Enlisted Member
Rep

So now I have an odd issue. The fan is blowing full speed preventing the coolant temp from rising to operating temperature. I have little heat, and when I scan, it says the tstat is jammed open?

Any ideas anyone? My tho was if a tstat was jammed open, there would be no need for the fan to be blasting...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 01:06 PM   #9
Bdavi011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 3.5i

Usually when there is a problem with the thermostat malfunctioning the computer has the fan run at full speed at all times as a safety measure in order to prevent overheating. Regardless if the thermostat is stuck open, closed or it has a fault with the sensor attached to it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 05:01 PM   #10
fastsoup
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdavi011 View Post
Usually when there is a problem with the thermostat malfunctioning the computer has the fan run at full speed at all times as a safety measure in order to prevent overheating. Regardless if the thermostat is stuck open, closed or it has a fault with the sensor attached to it.
That makes sense...so I guess a Tstat is in order...might as well do the water pump while I'm in there 😒
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 12:46 PM   #11
Bdavi011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 3.5i

Definitely replace the water pump while your in there and if you haven't already replace the coolant hose flange from the OEM plastic to the redesigned aluminum one.

Also advise to order from FCP Euro. I had to replace my thermostat twice within 4 years. First time at around 70k I believe and 2nd at 110k miles. It was nice to just use the lifetime guarantee and not have to pay for the 2nd one. It's a PITA job though haha good luck.
Appreciate 0