BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-20-2019, 06:43 PM   #23
Ronco21
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 Xdrive35i

I determined the problem by dropping the CAS4 Module from the car (located under the steering column) and just tapping on it! It was pure luck that I found it but one tap in the middle of the board would bring the car to life and another tap in the same spot would make the car go completely dead. I verified this several times. I removed the board from its plastic housing along with the three wiring harnesses. With a high end microscope I examined as many connections as I could. I found a few that looked compromised because they did not look like clean joints especially with the epoxy covering the board. I touched up as many as I could with a hot air soldering pencil and put the board back in place. The car started immediately and everything was working fine. About a week later I went to start the vehicle and it was exhibiting the same quirks as it was originally. I then ordered another new board but it did not work as I suspected it did not have the correct software programming as the original. I would really like to program the new board and be done with the original board. That board works but has a bad connection that I just couldn't find. I've read several chats on line and have contacted a few places that claim they can program the new board but nobody answered my request. I've also found some programmer/hardware/software for sale but again no answer to my specific request. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Ronco21
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 07:07 PM   #24
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I have to ask since nobody else has - what does this module that you have now spent 3 months on cost to have replaced?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 02:36 PM   #25
Ronco21
Rep

The board price isn't the problem. The problem is that each board is proprietary to each car. It is an immobilizer board that contains software for starting the car/security/etc. I need to take my new board and have it cloned to the original board which is intermittent.

Thank you,

Ron
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 03:14 PM   #26
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

You obviously have some technical skills to figure this all out. More than I have. But if your Aunt Betty had an X3 and had this issue and she took it to the dealer, wouldn't they just order a new module that's been coded to the car, much like a new key? I was just wondering if this is a $1,000 issue or something way more than that.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 07:40 AM   #27
hogwldfltr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
You obviously have some technical skills to figure this all out. More than I have. But if your Aunt Betty had an X3 and had this issue and she took it to the dealer, wouldn't they just order a new module that's been coded to the car, much like a new key? I was just wondering if this is a $1,000 issue or something way more than that.
Seems like a dealership should be able to deal with the issue readily. I agree!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 04:40 PM   #28
Ronco21
Rep

The board costs $450.00 and the VIN is burned in at the manufacturer. Once the dealer gets his hands on it they have to program the key/security/locks etc. I was quoted $130.00-$150.00 an hour and 2-3 hours to complete from two dealers. I have no choice now because the dealer told me I couldn't over write the original VIN number if I was able to obtain a board from a salvage yard.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 05:22 PM   #29
johnwstewart
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Wow, Ronco21, this is my exact symptom. Here's a video:

I'm desperate to know how your story ended?

These folks seem to claim to do repairs on these: https://the-ecu-pro.com/
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 08:58 AM   #30
johnwstewart
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

So my symptoms are the same as Ronco21's.

I got to the CAS4 yesterday, tapping it didn't seem to change behaviour.

I've extracted the CAS4 and ZGW to send to these ECO Pro people. Alas, it sounds like getting the DME out is not easy. From them:

> The DME (ECU) lives under the hood on the driver side by the strut tower. It sits in a vertical position, so it may not be obvious at first glance.

And this video from them mentions it, but doesn't show how it's extracted, just that they "recommend you take it to a shop". Oof

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 03:35 PM   #31
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

Just had this happen on our x3. k-CAN lines were chewed under back drivers seat/side of seat and took out 8 modules. Scan with ISTA and find what if any module on the bus is talking and start your digging there.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 12:00 PM   #32
Nico66
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35iX F25

I desperately need to know how Ronco21 and johnstewart finally solved their problems, since I have exactly the same! ItÂ’s a X3 35iX F25, 10/2010, 182.000 km.
Only front wipers and parking lights (just on the left side, front and rear) are on, when I press the start/stop button. Nothing else works. In addition I just can unlock the tailgate, but automatic lifting does not work.
Did you exchange and code new CAS4 and ZGW modules? Or is the DME also involved, may it have to be readapted with the new CAS4 and ZGW?
My problem appeared suddenly after leaving the battery charger connected overnight.
Thanks for every hint, since my X3 is just about to take roots!
Appreciate 0