BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
rmeir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x3

performance driving vs old man driving

ok im a old man. but Im a retired cop so I have some experience with driving fast and dont mind it. However Im coming from 20 yrs of driving pickup trucks and not really used to driving fast anymore, certainly not in a driving car like a x3.
My question is this. bmw's my assumption are designed to be "driven" on the autobahn whatever. In other words, I dont think the motor was meant to loaf. But since Im a old man and not in a particular hurry anymore, I drive pretty sedately. Migth I end up screwing up the motor by not letting it go once in awhile?
I know that some motors run better if you run them hard occasionally, just wondering if that is the case with beemer
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

You must have found some reasons to buy this car, just keep on enjoying it. It doesn't matter if you drive hard or slow, it's your car, it will give you the great ride.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeir View Post
ok im a old man. but Im a retired cop so I have some experience with driving fast and dont mind it. However Im coming from 20 yrs of driving pickup trucks and not really used to driving fast anymore, certainly not in a driving car like a x3.
My question is this. bmw's my assumption are designed to be "driven" on the autobahn whatever. In other words, I dont think the motor was meant to loaf. But since Im a old man and not in a particular hurry anymore, I drive pretty sedately. Migth I end up screwing up the motor by not letting it go once in awhile?
I know that some motors run better if you run them hard occasionally, just wondering if that is the case with beemer
I think you'd see much more benefit driving slowly in terms of reduced wear and tear, better fuel economy and your tyres lasting longer. I wouldn't be at all worried about not thrashing the engine. A longer drive every now again will help though. Too many short drives are probably not a good idea.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
leftee86
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 x28i

Well you want to bring the car on the highway once in a while above 50mph to clear out the engine...

It is weird being in the US and how all the speedometers today go well over 80mph.
It'll eventually be all digital, which could mean it's a different digital speedometer dial/range for every country – or adapts to your state or road
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
NordicBMW
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 / 2013 X1

Nothing wrong with sensible driving. Sit back and enjoy the... total silence from the engine when driving at 60 mph in the 8th gear.

The X3 is fun to drive actively but it is also very rewarding to just cruise along and feel the tightness in everything and the overall feeling of the ride.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

I'd say you're fine, but every once in a while it's a good idea to floor the engine all the way to redline. Helps clear/burn out any excess carbon build-up. Not something you need to do all the time, just when you're in a clear area give it the beans through a gear or two and your engine will like you for it.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

If you are still within the break-in process make sure to vary the engine speed, after that just drive how ever you want. Speed isn't necessarily bad for an engine, load is so avoid redlining every time you push the pedal and you should be fine.
Appreciate 0