BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-23-2011, 04:59 AM   #1
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 4 GC 2.8i MSport

Performance Control

Does anyone know if feature can be turned off or is it constantly active.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 05:30 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
Does anyone know if feature can be turned off or is it constantly active.

Cheers
I have it and it's on all of the time. There is no option to switch it off according to my dealer and I couldn't see one in the iDrive either. Same for servotronic steering.

It's one of those options you pay for and you don't actually know for sure if you've got it or not. All a bit Emperor's New Clothes

I'm very happy with the combination of sports suspension, servotronic and performance control. I was concerned re. steering because of what some people have posted but I've not experienced any problems and I like the feel.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 05:48 AM   #3
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

Thanks Sfax. I have been asked by my dealer if I wish to add or remove options from my order to do soon. So I'm look at the if and buts.

The only things I'm still undecided about are dynamic control which comes with performance control and adding one of the sat nav options.
The car I test drove had the dynamic control and whilst faffing with it I only felt a minimal amount of difference, so I sidelined it as an option.
The Sat Nav options sound nice, but they are overpriced and that’s why I have stayed away from them, further I have a top notch tom tom anyway. Decisions hey.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

Whats worth considering is that you get more than "just" the nav function.

Extended bluetooth, 8,9" screen, better dash/dials, LCD-cluster with efficient dynamics display. In my opinion is makes the whole cabin feel much more premium. Especially with the dials / part black panel.

Personally I wouldn't buy a X3 without it.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Thanks Sfax. I have been asked by my dealer if I wish to add or remove options from my order to do soon. So I'm look at the if and buts.

The only things I'm still undecided about are dynamic control which comes with performance control and adding one of the sat nav options.
The car I test drove had the dynamic control and whilst faffing with it I only felt a minimal amount of difference, so I sidelined it as an option.
The Sat Nav options sound nice, but they are overpriced and that’s why I have stayed away from them, further I have a top notch tom tom anyway. Decisions hey.
Don't forget about resale, I doubt the dynamic control will make a difference, but Sat/Nav will, people want used cars with them and dealers do too. Its almost one of those things people expect now on premium used car brands. Sure they shouldn't cost $2,000 but they are super nice and you will get some of that back.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Mako and acey81 both make good points on the sat nav. I wasn't impressed at the price but decided to go for pro nav and i'm very pleased with it. Re. residual value, it depends how long you intend to keep it for. Obviously all of the options become less and less valuable the longer you keep it

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

The problem is the Pro Sat Nav option in the UK is £2515, which is around $3770! I could probably stretch to it, if I really want to bash my savingings in!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
Mako
Rep

Quote:
The problem is the Pro Sat Nav option in the UK is £2515, which is around $3770! I could probably stretch to it, if I really want to bash my savingings in!
is that just for Nav? ouch! In the US its $3200 for Nav and a boat load of other tech stuff like back up camera, blue tooth with mobile office, park distance control, traffic and online services.

of course the day you take it off the lot, the used car guides will value it at around $1200 for trade in,
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

In the UK Market at present options are simply keeping cars "at book". Put another way, such options add no value at trade in, they simply get you the standard guide price and not less as others get. This is the case with my current car despite extensive shopping around re trade in. Dealers say options are to be enjoyed by the first buyer and are a bargain for the second. Sad but think that way and you won't do anything daft. Unless like me you just could not help yourself!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #10
Mako
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3buyerScotland View Post
In the UK Market at present options are simply keeping cars "at book". Put another way, such options add no value at trade in, they simply get you the standard guide price and not less as others get. This is the case with my current car despite extensive shopping around re trade in. Dealers say options are to be enjoyed by the first buyer and are a bargain for the second. Sad but think that way and you won't do anything daft. Unless like me you just could not help yourself!
That is my problem, I have a $42K base price car loaded up to $55K! that could kill me when I trade it in. Those $13K in options might be worth $3K in 4 years...
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #11
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I buy the car for me. Whatever happens on resale happens. Sold 4 loaded BMWs and a Mini. Never had a dealer upset to have a Nav or heated seats on a certified used car.
      03-24-2011, 01:50 AM   #12
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
is that just for Nav? ouch! In the US its $3200 for Nav and a boat load of other tech stuff like back up camera, blue tooth with mobile office, park distance control, traffic and online services.
The pro multimedia package (£2515) also gives you BMW Assist subscription for three years, online services, bluetooth phone prep, Voice Control, a 60GB HDD, the 8.9" HD screen and a nicer dash. You also need it as a prerequisite for other options like the TV, 6NR etc. PDC is standard on all models.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 02:24 AM   #13
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
I buy the car for me. Whatever happens on resale happens. Sold 4 loaded BMWs and a Mini. Never had a dealer upset to have a Nav or heated seats on a certified used car.
Agree. How do you value the pleasure of driving the car you want? How do you value the countless times you've been walking up to your dirty car with the kids, trolly, groceries and poped the boot open from a distance without having to get fingers dirty or putting something down?

Of course financially, the more options the bigger the loss. On the other hand you might aswell wait 6 months and get a second hand X3.

A good speced vehicle will attract a higher resale value and be more attractive, but obviously it's not the best financial deal you'v ever made...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 06:24 AM   #14
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

+1

It's definitely a luxury. Sometimes life is good!