BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
Noxious_
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 E90

X3 Oil Change/Flush Issues - Mr Lube

My father has an 06 x3 (2.5L) that is exhausting white smoke from the tailpipe.

Its out of warranty and needed an oil change so he took it to Mr Lube in Calgary. They recommended doing a flush because his oil hadn't been changed in 10,000 kms.

After the service, he started the car in the bay and white smoke began to flow out the tailpipe. The car idled for about a minute and the manager came over to tell him to cut the ignition because the whole shop was filled with smoke.

Mr Lube has denied any responsibility for the smoke even though the problem started immediately after their service and wasn't present before.

I was told when they flushed the engine they flushed it with water. From my knowledge it is extremely backwards to assume that flushing a engine with water would have a positive effect on the engine and in my recollection Mr Lube did these flushes using oil not water. Plus the white smoke leads me to believe that this problem is related to water being somewhere it isnt supposed to be.

Other than the flush issue, I cant tell if any other mistakes have been made.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to where the white smoke has come from?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxious_ View Post
My father has an 06 x3 (2.5L) that is exhausting white smoke from the tailpipe.

Its out of warranty and needed an oil change so he took it to Mr Lube in Calgary. They recommended doing a flush because his oil hadn't been changed in 10,000 kms.

After the service, he started the car in the bay and white smoke began to flow out the tailpipe. The car idled for about a minute and the manager came over to tell him to cut the ignition because the whole shop was filled with smoke.

Mr Lube has denied any responsibility for the smoke even though the problem started immediately after their service and wasn't present before.

I was told when they flushed the engine they flushed it with water. From my knowledge it is extremely backwards to assume that flushing a engine with water would have a positive effect on the engine and in my recollection Mr Lube did these flushes using oil not water. Plus the white smoke leads me to believe that this problem is related to water being somewhere it isnt supposed to be.

Other than the flush issue, I cant tell if any other mistakes have been made.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to where the white smoke has come from?
You may get better info if you go to the forum for the 1st gen X3. This is the forum for 2011 and beyond.
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91

Also, flushing the engine with water sounds like pure insanity.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Noxious_
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 E90

Ah I see thanks, didnt mean to invade the new x3's with an older x3 question. Mods feel free to move this post.

Thanks for chiming in, I knew that flushing the engine with water was insane... just needed a 2nd opinion
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxious_ View Post
Ah I see thanks, didnt mean to invade the new x3's with an older x3 question. Mods feel free to move this post.

Thanks for chiming in, I knew that flushing the engine with water was insane... just needed a 2nd opinion
It's like cleaning your gas tank with shampoo.
Appreciate 0