BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-21-2014, 09:00 AM   #1
DCat
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

extended warranty or no...

Hi all-I'm getting close to decision time on adding a BMW extended warranty to my 2011 X335i....mine was one of the early ones-picked it up in mid March, 2011, just turned over 48,000 miles. It has been a joy to own, and I plan to keep it for at least a few more years. I know this is essentially a flip of the coin/personal question, but really don't know what the likely failures are and costs I'd be looking at without the coverage. Also got sticker shock on plan options; $4500 for 3 yr/100k platinum, $4100 for Gold, or $2100 for Powertrain Plus. This from my dealer that I've been very happy with overall-my 1 big issue w/ the car was the infamous pano roof rattle, which after several attempts they got fixed and has been rattle free for over a year...

So..what is the consensus on this...good deal? Needed?

Thanks for any input,

Dan
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 09:39 AM   #2
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

went through same thought process and decided not to - the only fault in the past 3 years of ownership were a new battery replacment, new wing mirror motor, hardly worth the costs of the warranty outlay... also had a z4 for 7 years with no problems hence placing my faith in bmw workmanship
      10-21-2014, 12:08 PM   #3
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

I am went thru the same thing recently. My BMW have been pretty reliable and I decided to put aside the $4000 I would have spend on the extended warranty and self insure my car. By the way, rattles are not cover by extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 12:15 PM   #4
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Same here. Had one of the first F25s in Ohio, been extremely reliable to date. Just crossed 50k. We decided against the extended warranty based on it's reliability to date.

For what it's worth, those warranty prices are negotiable. So if you decide you have to have one don't take their first offer.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #5
happy_chrissy
Rookie
Rep
Drives: 2015' X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCat View Post
Hi all-I'm getting close to decision time on adding a BMW extended warranty to my 2011 X335i....mine was one of the early ones-picked it up in mid March, 2011, just turned over 48,000 miles. It has been a joy to own, and I plan to keep it for at least a few more years. I know this is essentially a flip of the coin/personal question, but really don't know what the likely failures are and costs I'd be looking at without the coverage. Also got sticker shock on plan options; $4500 for 3 yr/100k platinum, $4100 for Gold, or $2100 for Powertrain Plus. This from my dealer that I've been very happy with overall-my 1 big issue w/ the car was the infamous pano roof rattle, which after several attempts they got fixed and has been rattle free for over a year...

So..what is the consensus on this...good deal? Needed?

Thanks for any input,

Dan
$4500? That is almost as much they quoted me I have a 2015. I just brought the car and was told that the longer you wait, the higher the plan would be if you wait longer. I am still undecided however, I have been looking at the plans and the cheapest quote I received was from $4390 to $3300. I may bite the bullet and get it in a few months. I am thinking of skipping the maintenance plan too.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 08:01 PM   #6
DCat
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

thanks for all the replies...yes, it would have been cheaper to do this when I bought it...but, if I look at it that the $4500 was in the stock mkt the last few years, I'm way ahead! (doesn't always work that way for me, but sure did in this case...!)...good to see reliability faith is there, that is what is in my gut too...think I may roll the dice and skip it...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 05:49 AM   #7
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Interesting thread.
When BMW sell you the car they tell you how reliable it will be.
When it's coming out of warranty they tell you need an expensive insurance policy to cover the car.

If BMW is so sure about their car quality (and you agree for the local BMW dealer to service the car) surely the extended warranty price should reflect that confidence.

I've got one year left on my warranty. Very happy with the car. Only had a couple of minor issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 05:53 AM   #8
bounderboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 LCI 2.0d X-Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
Interesting thread.
When BMW sell you the car they tell you how reliable it will be.
When it's coming out of warranty they tell you need an expensive insurance policy to cover the car.

If BMW is so sure about their car quality (and you agree for the local BMW dealer to service the car) surely the extended warranty price should reflect that confidence.

I've got one year left on my warranty. Very happy with the car. Only had a couple of minor issues.
Hear Hear
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 12:57 PM   #9
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
I've taken it out on my current x1. I didn't think it was too bad value paying monthly with a small excess given that it covers the full European breakdown and recovery service as well. I take the car abroad regularly.

I have to say it has been almost perfect in the last 3 and a half years, only problem was a perished windscreen seal at 5k miles. Considering it is supposedly the runt of the bmw litter ( I disagree) it has really impressed me

I am planning on selling it and thought it might help me to sell it with a full bmw warranty which is transferable along with the remainder of the service pack

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #10
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_o View Post
I am planning on selling it and thought it might help me to sell it with a full bmw warranty which is transferable along with the remainder of the service pack
That's why I do not like to buy extended warranty at the time of the new car purchase. A lot of things can happen in 4 years, and one can end up losing thousands when selling a car with extended warranty.
Appreciate 0