BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #1
Akers
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 MSport 2.0 Auto

Cut off for changing order

I placed mine in early June and was promised delivery in Oct and now this is moved to Dec,however still no VIN which suggests it's not in production yet.my question is would it affect delivery dates if I now change colour. The salesman tells me he can change but risk of loosing the delivery slot. Don't want further delays I went with black and now thinking of blue or sparkling brown.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #2
Kermit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive Shadow Edition

Tough call. Working back from delivery it takes about 5-6 weeks from build (and getting a VIN) to you picking it up in the UK. So lets say mid December delivery puts it into build somewhere early November. Not a lot of time left.

Your dealer is right, you do risk losing your build slot with something as fundamental as a colour change - since the chassis is painted and then racked until it's ready to be built on. It might bugger the scheduling.

If it helps the blue is lovely but so is the black. What colour interior have you gone for?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #3
Kermit
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
Tough call. Working back from delivery it takes about 5-6 weeks from build (and getting a VIN) to you picking it up in the UK. So lets say mid December delivery puts it into build somewhere early November. Not a lot of time left.

Your dealer is right, you do risk losing your build slot with something as fundamental as a colour change - since the chassis is painted and then racked until it's ready to be built on. It might bugger the scheduling.

If it helps the blue is lovely but so is the black. What colour interior have you gone for?
Just seen your other post re. Ivory white interior.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #4
Akers
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Kermit. yes Ivory white. Not unhappy with black, it's just that I ve seen some pictures of both colours recently they looked g8 and was wondering if could make a last minute change.will stick black I don't want further delays.delivery 22nd dec
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
Kermit
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akers View Post
Thanks Kermit. yes Ivory white. Not unhappy with black, it's just that I ve seen some pictures of both colours recently they looked g8 and was wondering if could make a last minute change.will stick black I don't want further delays.delivery 22nd dec
You won't be disappointed. Hope there are no more delays!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #6
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akers View Post
I placed mine in early June and was promised delivery in Oct and now this is moved to Dec,however still no VIN which suggests it's not in production yet.my question is would it affect delivery dates if I now change colour. The salesman tells me he can change but risk of loosing the delivery slot. Don't want further delays I went with black and now thinking of blue or sparkling brown.
Thanks
Relax, plenty of time. For all changes get your dealer to confirm with the Vehicle Inquiry Report (VIR). Also, any requested changes can be verified from BMW HO in your country to your dealer to you. Up to a few days before production the order can be changed.

" so flexible it allows you to make changes to your automobile up until six days before it is built."
https://www.bmwusfactory.com/manufac...48187294#stats
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 05:07 PM   #7
Akers
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Have changed the order today to MSport in carbon black waiting to hear from dealer of delivery date.tnx for the link.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 01:23 PM   #8
Pitiful Old Man
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

It's my understanding that a color change may or may not affect one's build slot. Their system can change colors on a per-car basis. They do loose some paint and maybe some time in doing so, however, so prefer to batch cars of the same color. However, they're not going to stay on one color for days on end, so I'd think that a color change might only cause a day or so delay at most. Seems like your dealer could find out.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 02:52 PM   #9
Akers
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitiful Old Man
It's my understanding that a color change may or may not affect one's build slot. Their system can change colors on a per-car basis. They do loose some paint and maybe some time in doing so, however, so prefer to batch cars of the same color. However, they're not going to stay on one color for days on end, so I'd think that a color change might only cause a day or so delay at most. Seems like your dealer could find out.
I've not only changed colour but model from xline to MSport and have changed a couple of options as well.Surprised and impressed that delivery date has not changed. Just had an email from dealership.
Appreciate 0