BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-22-2014, 04:01 PM   #1
g911turbo
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Silver Sedan

Vibration when coasting at highway speed, only with weight in rear.

I've done some searching but cannot find anyone else with this issue. Recently my GF bought an e83 2008 X3 (auto), still under CPO, but before I just take it into the dealer I wanted to potentially arm myself with a little knowledge.

Car drives fine normally, and is very smooth all the way up to 80+ MPH. The one thing I've noticed however, is that when letting off the gas, the car seems to "engine brake" a substantial amount more than my e90. Almost as if the transmission is holding it back. I just attributed this to software (and yes it is the newest SW, programmed when we just had the lifters replaced about 2 weeks ago).

The problem arose when I used her X3 to haul 4 people + driver (me) + luggage to and from customer appointments. Under this weight load, when doing the same coasting at highway speeds, I noticed and felt a substantial vibration in the car. Even the slightest depression of the accelerator to maintain speed (or accelerate) would cause the vibration to disappear completely. I could even decelerate with my foot still slightly touching the gas, and no vibration. Only when I completely let the car coast, at highway speed, did I experience this vibration.

I did not notice the vibration when coasting at low speed (30 or lower), somewhat noticed it when coasting between 30-50, and easily felt/noticed it 50+ when coasting.

THIS VIBRATION ALL WENT AWAY once I dropped everyone off at the airport and it was just me in the car. The car still feels like its engine braking too much (even in 6th), but no more vibration.

I don't think it's wheels / tires based on the symptoms. I'm wondering if it's something drive train related. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. I plan to crawl under the car soon, once it's no longer 0 degrees F here.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
derSpeed
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35i M sport

I know you want to be informed, but just take it in if it is under warranty. If you wait too long, it may worse.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 05:10 PM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by g911turbo View Post
I did not notice the vibration when coasting at low speed (30 or lower), somewhat noticed it when coasting between 30-50, and easily felt/noticed it 50+ when coasting.

THIS VIBRATION ALL WENT AWAY once I dropped everyone off at the airport and it was just me in the car. The car still feels like its engine braking too much (even in 6th), but no more vibration.

I don't think it's wheels / tires based on the symptoms. I'm wondering if it's something drive train related. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. I plan to crawl under the car soon, once it's no longer 0 degrees F here.
I'd suggest it is drivetrain related. With a load up did you adjust tire pressures? If not, it could indicate you are right on the edge of drivetrain tolerances with your current wheel setup. Made worse with loaded rear tires changing the rolling circumference.

Are you running OEM wheels/star marked tires?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 02:45 PM   #4
nauj
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0L Diesel 2004

g911turbo, I know this 4 years ago .. but did you ever find the vibration problem ? My wife's X3 is doing EXACTLY the same thing ;-((

Pieter
South Africa
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 09:51 PM   #5
frisbeeguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW,Tesla, etc.

Garage List
Drivetrain related. Many possibilities such as: front lower control arm bushings shot (very common), worn springs, bad axle, bad CV joint, bad rubber part, etc...to test the entire car needs to be on a lift. Otherwise: rear differential, bad chain inside transfer case, front differential..again car needs to be on a lift to test...the worst case is transmission torque converter issue/fluid issue (very unlikely).
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 06:01 AM   #6
bscudman
Scudman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW X3 3.0Si

Vibration

I found that the CV joints get "depressions" and can cause vibrations when either accelerating or coasting.

It could also be the rear bearings making the vibrations when coasting especially with weight in the rear exacerbating the feeling.

The driveshafts could be a problem too if they have something wrapped around them like a plastic bag and such. I have found that out when I saw something hanging under the rear of the car and found a plastic bag welded to the hot exhaust pipe and then partially wrapped around the rear portion of the main driveshaft. This was on a CLK320 though but the same drivetrain setup in the rear.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0