BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-13-2014, 07:40 AM   #89
nikolaig
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostileharry View Post
DarcyB:

Do you have any BMW documentation that my local BMW service shop could cross reference? It seems your case is leading the way and my dealer is starting down the path of a fuel sensor. They were very interested in learning more about the PDM failure and they said they have seen a 'few' BMW's in the cold weather have this error.

Thank you,
Maybe they can refer to PUMA 56461584. This is what is mentioned in my last invoice that was about PDM replacement.

By the way, I have also got a confirmation that indeed the problem is [internally] recognized by BMW and they are working on more permanent fix. Which is going to be available before next winter. Well, as much as it sucks to have an issue and not being able to do anything about it, it sucks a bit less if you are not alone and the right people hear you
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 08:32 AM   #90
darcyb62
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 x3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolaig View Post
By the way, I have also got a confirmation that indeed the problem is [internally] recognized by BMW and they are working on more permanent fix. Which is going to be available before next winter. Well, as much as it sucks to have an issue and not being able to do anything about it, it sucks a bit less if you are not alone and the right people hear you
Agreed.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #91
momo28
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Maybe they can refer to PUMA 56461584. This is what is mentioned in my last invoice that was about PDM replacement.

good to hear the problem is recognized finally but not until next winter?! Hopefully I have enough faith to keep my truck till then
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #92
hostileharry
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:

Thank you for the information. I left a message my service rep a few minutes ago, so we will see if they can cross reference anything. It looks like Chicago is coming out of the deep freeze we have experienced so I'm sure the car is now fine, but I really want them to get this fixed.

At least I had them disable that auto start/stop feature
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #93
nikolaig
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostileharry View Post
Thank you for the information. I left a message my service rep a few minutes ago, so we will see if they can cross reference anything. It looks like Chicago is coming out of the deep freeze we have experienced so I'm sure the car is now fine, but I really want them to get this fixed.
So far, 3 weeks form getting the car back with new (old-style ) PDM the problem has not reoccurred. We had two cold mornings but, to be fair, they were not as cold as back in December and January. There is a difference between -21 and no wind and -26 and wind.

Also I believe (if I understand the nature of the problem correctly) it might take a while until you get enough water in that box. Maybe few freeze/thaw cycles.

Quote:
At least I had them disable that auto start/stop feature
Disable or make its state persistent? I just did it to my car, now I can disable it until it gets warmer and turn it back on then.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 07:34 PM   #94
nikolaig
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo28 View Post
good to hear the problem is recognized finally but not until next winter?! Hopefully I have enough faith to keep my truck till then
My X3 is on probation period now

As for the timing...with my limited knowledge of the industry manufacturing process from the university I can imagine that any sort of car module has to go through quite rigorous testing, which takes quite a bit of time. I wish they did it for the original one better

Meanwhile I am trying other cars to be ready for the plan B. Just did a test drive of Lexus RX350. Completely different driving experience comparing to X3. I am not saying it is bad, but it is really completely opposite to X3 dynamics and the way you feel the driving. Anyway, this is definitely not for BMW forums
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 09:43 PM   #95
darcyb62
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Also I believe (if I understand the nature of the problem correctly) it might take a while until you get enough water in that box. Maybe few freeze/thaw cycles.

I think parking in a nicely heated garage at work exacerbated this problem for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 12:06 AM   #96
northX3
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
We had two cold mornings but, to be fair, they were not as cold as back in December and January. There is a difference between -21 and no wind and -26 and wind.
The car is not affected by wind chill. It's harder for the battery to start the car by -25 than at -15, because it is colder. Period. Even if there is no wind at -25 and a blistering 60km/h wind at -15 (which would give something like -30/-35 corrected).
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 03:04 PM   #97
nikolaig
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by northX3 View Post
The car is not affected by wind chill. It's harder for the battery to start the car by -25 than at -15, because it is colder. Period. Even if there is no wind at -25 and a blistering 60km/h wind at -15 (which would give something like -30/-35 corrected).
I would not agree about the first statement. Anyone who did learn physics at some point, you would agree that the moving air does cool down the objects a bit faster. I bet you have the convection oven at home

And, if you read this thread carefully, it would be clear that the problem, at the end, was not really about the battery. So, even if battery life is a pain point for X3, this issue is not about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 09:59 PM   #98
northX3
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I would not agree about the first statement. Anyone who did learn physics at some point, you would agree that the moving air does cool down the objects a bit faster. I bet you have the convection oven at home

I did learn physics. I was 14 when I had my first physics class, and had my doctorate degree at age 22.
Your block lose no heat by convection when you're not moving (if I understand physics well enough, your car isn't moving when you start it first thing in the morning). There is no difference between starting your car at -20 with zero wind or at -20 with 60km/h wind. Once the engine is firing on all cylinders and you start driving, it may even get hotter in the 60km/h wind scenario, assuming you're driving with a tailwind.

I just leave this for you to read :
https://www.maine.gov/mema/prepare/f...shtml?id=83671
http://www.autos.ca/winter-driving/f...fect-your-car/
http://www.arch.ced.berkeley.edu/kap...esequipment/p1
http://weather.about.com/od/winterwe...Wind-Chill.htm
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 05:48 PM   #99
nikolaig
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by northX3 View Post
Your block lose no heat by convection when you're not moving (if I understand physics well enough, your car isn't moving when you start it first thing in the morning).
You should have gone through the thread carefully. This was about the car that dies after moving for some distance. The car (or, more specifically, one of its modules in the engine compartment) warms up during this trip. And then you park it in cold. Indeed, it will cool down (lose the heat) slightly faster than there is some sort of cold air flow. I cannot say what is the factor but it is definitely >1.

P.S. I have started physics at 11, that was a country with the best educational system in the world. Unfortunately, it no longer exists.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #100
stulove
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i,2005 330ci ZHP

Any news

Has anybody heard any news about this,the dealer knows nothing and everything seems to be on hold?????
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 11:28 AM   #101
darcyb62
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

On hold while testing is taking place. They have found a workaround to the issue when it comes up that has proven to be effective and is this: Turn on the ignition for a couple of minutes without starting the vehicle. Shut everything down and then start the vehicle. Everything should be fine. I've taken my x3 back but even with the cold weather we've had lately I have had the issue resurface so I'm not sure this works or not. I told the dealer I would the vehicle but if I had a problem and this workaround didn't work I would be coming back.
I'll reach out and see if there are any updates.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 03:31 PM   #102
momo28
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcyb62 View Post
On hold while testing is taking place. They have found a workaround to the issue when it comes up that has proven to be effective and is this: Turn on the ignition for a couple of minutes without starting the vehicle. Shut everything down and then start the vehicle. Everything should be fine. I've taken my x3 back but even with the cold weather we've had lately I have had the issue resurface so I'm not sure this works or not. I told the dealer I would the vehicle but if I had a problem and this workaround didn't work I would be coming back.
I'll reach out and see if there are any updates.
good to know about this workaround and even better if this works. Every time there is an extreme cold snap in the forecast, I am freaking out.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 09:17 AM   #103
stulove
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i,2005 330ci ZHP

How would I do this with the keyless entry?I open the doors,get in and push the button?All this is done while the fob is in my pocket.There is no on/off position,just keyless entry and on.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 10:41 AM   #104
mac10
Private
England
Rep
Drives: Alpina D3 Bi-Turbo (SOLD)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stulove View Post
How would I do this with the keyless entry?I open the doors,get in and push the button?All this is done while the fob is in my pocket.There is no on/off position,just keyless entry and on.

I assume you press the start button without putting your foot on the brake!!

I think it is the same for keyed entry.

imho.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 01:05 PM   #105
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcyb62 View Post
Turn on the ignition for a couple of minutes without starting the vehicle. Shut everything down and then start the vehicle. Everything should be fine.
Just wondering if this simply causes some elctronic module to warm up a little and drive off moisture that may have collected or been absorbed in a circuit board etc. I have seen, over the years, some devices with a small heater that comes on briefly just after being started or energized but does not remain on continuously. Idea is usually to get components quickly to normal op temps for stability reasons. I have no real clue if this is what is happeing but for lack of any other explanation, and this does indeed seem to be a cold weather related problem, just maybe this is what is being accomplished with this "work around".
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 03:46 PM   #106
darcyb62
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
Just wondering if this simply causes some elctronic module to warm up a little and drive off moisture that may have collected or been absorbed in a circuit board etc. I have seen, over the years, some devices with a small heater that comes on briefly just after being started or energized but does not remain on continuously. Idea is usually to get components quickly to normal op temps for stability reasons. I have no real clue if this is what is happeing but for lack of any other explanation, and this does indeed seem to be a cold weather related problem, just maybe this is what is being accomplished with this "work around".
I believe this is exactly what the workaround is doing.

Supposed to hit -40C this weekend so I guess maybe I'll have an opportunity to see if this works or not.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 11:24 AM   #107
costa79
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0 XD (LCI)

Hi Guys,

I'm planning to purchase an X3 LCI 2.0 xd, model later this year and I am worried about readings in this forum. I am leaving in Romania, and here car price is close to 60000 eur (almost 82000 usd). It is my first BMW purchase, it will be disappointing to pay such big amount of money and to experience such issues.
So far this cold weather trouble, a clunk noise ( steering rack redesign and replacement required), sunroof noise are very common problems. I wish these car badly but now I am reconsidering my options, maybe save 50% of the cost and go for Mazda cx-5. I asked future dealer about all this problems and they are saying no such problem noted yet in Romania, of course they are not selling so many cars like in North America or Western Europe. But one friend of mine purchase a brand new X3 2.0 xd and had a lot of problem with "clunk noise" not sure if fixed yet. This forum is great anyhow! Please keep us updated if problem was fixed.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 12:02 PM   #108
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by costa79 View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm planning to purchase an X3 LCI 2.0 xd, model later this year and I am worried about readings in this forum. I am leaving in Romania, and here car price is close to 60000 eur (almost 82000 usd). It is my first BMW purchase, it will be disappointing to pay such big amount of money and to experience such issues.
So far this cold weather trouble, a clunk noise ( steering rack redesign and replacement required), sunroof noise are very common problems. I wish these car badly but now I am reconsidering my options, maybe save 50% of the cost and go for Mazda cx-5. I asked future dealer about all this problems and they are saying no such problem noted yet in Romania, of course they are not selling so many cars like in North America or Western Europe. But one friend of mine purchase a brand new X3 2.0 xd and had a lot of problem with "clunk noise" not sure if fixed yet. This forum is great anyhow! Please keep us updated if problem was fixed.
You want dependable? Buy a Mazda, not a Bimmer
      03-01-2014, 02:15 PM   #109
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest X6 View Post
You want dependable? Buy a Mazda, not a Bimmer
I do not agree!

Having had other BMWs going back to a shiny new red 1988 E30 M3, I very knowingly did not buy my X3 for a Toyota standard of reliability and dependability. I bought my X3 because no other car (at least than I can afford) provides the wonderful driving experience a BMW does. My 2002 3.0i Z3 (also bought new) is a mechanics wet dream but that car provides such a wonderful driving experience I wouldnt dream of trading it for an, ugh, Miata.

I could have saved a lot of money buying a Mazda or Highlander but I think there is a lot more to life than driving such boring machines. And, for that BMW experience, I do indeed accept a level of dealing with problems that would be totally unacceptable on any other car. Its kind of akin to why guys gravitate to gorgeous high maintenance women, they are a hell of lot more fun in the end (no pun intended).

BTW, I also have a Lexus RX350 and I do not think cars get more reliable than this absolutely terrible POS. I had to drive it almost 250 miles last weekend and hated the experience. It drives exactly like my Dad's heavy metal big bouncy 1950 and 1960 Buicks and Cadillacs. If the car was not fully paid for and in such good condition, it would have been history a long time ago (like 2 seconds after I drove it home from the dealer). My wife also likes it and that does matter too.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 02:21 PM   #110
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
I do not agree!

Having had other BMWs going back to a shiny new red 1988 E30 M3, I very knowingly did not buy my X3 for a Toyota standard of reliability and dependability. I bought my X3 because no other car (at least than I can afford) provides the wonderful driving experience a BMW does. My 2002 3.0i Z3 (also bought new) is a mechanics wet dream but that car provides such a wonderful driving experience I wouldnt dream of trading it for an, ugh, Miata.

I could have saved a lot of money buying a Mazda or Highlander but I think there is a lot more to life than driving such boring machines. And, for that BMW experience, I do indeed accept a level of dealing with problems that would be totally unacceptable on any other car. Its kind of akin to why guys gravitate to gorgeous high maintenance women, they are a hell of lot more fun in the end (no pun intended).

BTW, I also have a Lexus RX350 and I do not think cars get more reliable than this absolutely terrible POS. I had to drive it almost 250 miles last weekend and hated the experience. It drives exactly like my Dad's heavy metal big bouncy 1950 and 1960 Buicks and Cadillacs. If the car was not fully paid for and in such good condition, it would have been history a long time ago (like 2 seconds after I drove it home from the dealer). My wife also likes it and that does matter too.
1). Look at my sig - we're both BMW boys so you don't need to convince me of driving fun etc...

2). I should have added a sarcastic emoticon after my post - my apologies!

3). #2 being somewhat accurate, I would never own a BMW out of warranty (which is why I lease em)

4). I loved my miata