BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #23
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Does anyone know if I should be able to stream iPod audio via Bluetooth using an iPhone 3G (latest OS)? I've seen youtube clips where there is a bluetooth option on iPod on the iPhone but I don't have one. I have the Bluetooth audio source option on my X3 under Music Collection but I don't think my iPhone is capable. Or not using its iPod in any case.
All I know is that if you go to settings->general you will find a Bluetooth option and if it is off, the phone will not even be recognized. You need to turn it on and stay on that screen while you go to the connection screen on iDrive. This is the only way to connect the iPhone because on that iPhone settings screen, the iPhone can be recognized by the car (it is "discoverable" in BT parlance).

You can set up a code to connect the iPhone to the X3 (pairing). I set it to 0000, the standard for just about everyone, since you still need to accept it anyway. The phone will ask for the code, and after you type it it will be accepted as a p[hone source. I actually had to repeat this process for the audio source part as well. After that you can stream from the phone by going to the multimedia section of the X3's iDrive and if necessary selecting Bluetooth in the output icon on the right side of the volume that only appears when you have a connected Bluetooth device or an Airplay device on your network (like an Apple TV or Airport).

I hope this helps, I can be more detailed if necessary.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 05:20 PM   #24
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijioben View Post
All I know is that if you go to settings->general you will find a Bluetooth option and if it is off, the phone will not even be recognized. You need to turn it on and stay on that screen while you go to the connection screen on iDrive. This is the only way to connect the iPhone because on that iPhone settings screen, the iPhone can be recognized by the car (it is "discoverable" in BT parlance).

You can set up a code to connect the iPhone to the X3 (pairing). I set it to 0000, the standard for just about everyone, since you still need to accept it anyway. The phone will ask for the code, and after you type it it will be accepted as a p[hone source. I actually had to repeat this process for the audio source part as well. After that you can stream from the phone by going to the multimedia section of the X3's iDrive and if necessary selecting Bluetooth in the output icon on the right side of the volume that only appears when you have a connected Bluetooth device or an Airplay device on your network (like an Apple TV or Airport).

Thanks for this. The part about needing to do this again for the bluetooth audio may be the root of the problem. I have already paired the iPhone to the X3 and it works for calls and contacts but I didn't think I would need to pair it again for bluetooth audio . I will try and keep the phone on the bluetooth settings screen and then switch to multimedia on the iDrive and see what happens but I'm surprised you need to pair it twice. Will try tomorrow. Thanks again

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #25
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Thanks for this. The part about needing to do this again for the bluetooth audio may be the root of the problem. I have already paired the iPhone to the X3 and it works for calls and contacts but I didn't think I would need to pair it again for bluetooth audio . I will try and keep the phone on the bluetooth settings screen and then switch to multimedia on the iDrive and see what happens but I'm surprised you need to pair it twice. Will try tomorrow. Thanks again
Cheers, you're most welcome. I hope it works!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #26
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijioben View Post

jijioben, you're a star. I just got this working on my iPhone 3G and was streaming music from its iPod just now. I can only use iDrive to move backwards and forwards through the play list and you don't see what's playing on iDrive but it's a useful little function.

I had to switch Bluetooth on and off on my iPhone whilst on the bluetooth audio menu and then it picked up. Connecting via USB disables bluetooth audio and it's a bit of a pain to re-enable but I like the fact it's possible. Very useful.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #27
digipig
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3

I only have 6NH without nav. Anybody successfully stream audio from IPHONE 3GS and can share the procedure? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #28
rd450
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

I'd like to know aswell if you can stream Bluetooth audio without nav. I.e standard Idrive
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #29
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd450 View Post
I'd like to know aswell if you can stream Bluetooth audio without nav. I.e standard Idrive
If you havent already, I would try to follow jj's instructions and unpair and re-pair your phone when on the Bluetooth settings screen on iDrive (with no physical USB connection to the iPhone). It is fiddly to get working with pro nav so will be fiddly without nav too (if it works at all - I'm not sure if it will). Use iPhone's iPod to test as this works 100% with Bluetooth audio streaming

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 05:57 PM   #30
corliss
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

re: streaming audio w/out Nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by digipig View Post
I only have 6NH without nav. Anybody successfully stream audio from IPHONE 3GS and can share the procedure? Thanks.
Yeah, I bought a Blackberry gateway device which allows me to stream pandora right from my iphone (I've got an iphone 4, though). I didn't get the Nav option.

Just put the BB device into the arm rest, plug into the aux and another cable into the lighter to keep it charged. My iPhone picked it up as a bluetooth device right away. Works like a champ!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #31
Cx35i
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

could you link and/or elaborate? I'm trying to get my Nexus S to stream audio (any audio) and so far I only see 'Telephone' under bluetooth options. If there's a work around needed for non-Tech Package/non-Nav I'd love to know about it!

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #32
corliss
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

re: Bluetooth Audio question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmilligan View Post
could you link and/or elaborate? I'm trying to get my Nexus S to stream audio (any audio) and so far I only see 'Telephone' under bluetooth options. If there's a work around needed for non-Tech Package/non-Nav I'd love to know about it!

Thank you.
I bought the following device on Amazon (details below). Can't remember if I had to buy a separate aux cable or charger, but it was pretty straightforward to setup.

Once you've plugged this device into your armrest's aux & charger, go to into the bluetooth setting on your iphone and it should be listed as an option. Just select it & enjoy! Occasionally, I need to re-connect it but not often. I can control the audio from the steering wheel, but you need to use the iphone in order to skip forward to another song etc...

BlackBerry Remote Stereo Bluetooth Gateway for BlackBerry 8100, 8110, 8120, 8130, 8300...
Sold by: Accessory.net
Condition: new
Quantity: 1
$46.50 each
Item subtotal: $46.50
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #33
rd450
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

Cmilligan, I'm the same. Only see the telephone option.

Does anyone without nav and only the standard idrive manage to stream audio by Bluetooth ?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #34
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA78 View Post
I have an iPhone 4 and I can't stream via Bluetooth.
Weird, I have an iphone 4 and can stream audio and pandora w/ bt
      05-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #35
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

I'm gonna try what Sfax said above because I still can't get my iPhone to stream pandora or anything else.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 08:51 AM   #36
BMW665
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 e89

opening this thread back up. streaming from an IPod/iPhone is easy to do.

How about enabling BT on an Andriod or Garmin GPS. Has anyone successfully enabled their smartphone using BT to stream?

If so what audio channel do you use, Tuner, AUX, iPod, etc? My goal is to get my garmin zumo with BT to stream to the speakers. If I can't do this then enable my android smartphone. I can do this by plugging directly into the AUX port via a cable and switching to the AUX port. Can't get this to happen via the BT even though I can get it to pair to it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 06:59 AM   #37
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i can only stream music thru aux
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 08:04 AM   #38
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

ok just installed the app on my Samsung Note and it does not sync music - does work the phone ok but thats all.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3

Last edited by plymjack; 02-10-2014 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: added phone model
Appreciate 0