BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-13-2014, 11:19 AM   #1
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
Snow is not a factor this year

The X3 with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2s that I put on it are so awesome. Its crazy how much its snowed in the Northeast and since all the municipalities are out of snow budget the roads are crap for most of the storm. The X3 just goes no matter what the condition and I have yet to see the DSC symbol on the dash. I will always choose Hakka's on any SUV I own as it is the most superior snow tire I have every tried. Great to know that no matter what the conditions the X3 will get me where I need to go.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
everose
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black E60 M5, Silver F30

Snow is not a factor this year

for sure,an X3 is a very reliable SUV,remember when i was almost robbed and shot at in New Orleans.
it was a snowy day and if it had been any other car they would have succeeded,.i really had to move with reverse in the snow for me to get away and they shot at me twice but due to the swift acceleration i was a;ready at the bend and the bullets only got a window of a locked up store.
thanks to my friends' X3
reliable indeed
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 12:56 PM   #3
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
The X3 with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2s that I put on it are so awesome. Its crazy how much its snowed in the Northeast and since all the municipalities are out of snow budget the roads are crap for most of the storm. The X3 just goes no matter what the condition and I have yet to see the DSC symbol on the dash. I will always choose Hakka's on any SUV I own as it is the most superior snow tire I have every tried. Great to know that no matter what the conditions the X3 will get me where I need to go.
Well, I am glad as a Finn that we know that business. Winter tyres were invented by Nokian Tyres.

I hope we can keep up with the development in that business... Not like with mobile phones happened... Nokia was a big name ten years ago, not anymore.

By the way, the Nokia tech company and Nokian Renkaat origin from same city, named Nokia, hence the similar name.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #4
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodion View Post
Well, I am glad as a Finn that we know that business. Winter tyres were invented by Nokian Tyres.

I hope we can keep up with the development in that business... Not like with mobile phones happened... Nokia was a big name ten years ago, not anymore.

By the way, the Nokia tech company and Nokian Renkaat origin from same city, named Nokia, hence the similar name.
Ahhh...I've been wondering if there was any relation between the two myself.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 06:13 PM   #5
rota92
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 x40i M Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewatcher View Post
for sure,an X3 is a very reliable SUV,remember when i was almost robbed and shot at in New Orleans.
it was a snowy day and if it had been any other car they would have succeeded,.i really had to move with reverse in the snow for me to get away and they shot at me twice but due to the swift acceleration i was a;ready at the bend and the bullets only got a window of a locked up store.
thanks to my friends' X3
reliable indeed
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 05:17 AM   #6
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

For replacements I will get the WR series "all weather' tires. I previously enjoyed them.
I also understand that Nokia previously had a minority stake in Nokian.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 05:30 AM   #7
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Snow's not been a factor in the UK but that's because we've had very little of it. By the time the jetstream brings the eastern US weather here it's warm and very, very wet. Winter tyres for most haven't been needed but paddles (as in those old paddle steamers) would be useful.
      02-14-2014, 06:03 AM   #8
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Winter tyres are also more effective in cold (below 7deg C) and as much as I wish we had some snow to play in I do find them much better in the wet we have been having this last 6 weeks. So much so that I am getting winter tyres for my other car too (after changing cars last week and going out in the other one the difference was VERY noticeable and it was not just the X drive I noticed)
Yes I agree that if you have new tyres it is almost the same but once you have some wear then the difference is very clear.

Paddles would also be useful - but only to lend to non 4x4 drivers....lol
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3

Last edited by plymjack; 02-14-2014 at 06:04 AM.. Reason: paddles
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #9
neelkc12
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: x3

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Get Hakkas instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
For replacements I will get the WR series "all weather' tires. I previously enjoyed them.
I also understand that Nokia previously had a minority stake in Nokian.
I just got WRG3 - latest generation Nokian WRG's on mu Madza CX-5 AWD. Great on ice and in a straight line . Perfect stop and starting.
Not great in slush at all - fish tails a lot.

My 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:10 AM   #10
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
Winter tyres are also more effective in cold (below 7deg C) and as much as I wish we had some snow to play in I do find them much better in the wet we have been having this last 6 weeks.
I'm aware of the 7 degree spec...most of the winter in NW England has been 7C or over with double figures not being that unusual. It's be so mild that my lawn needs mowing....I would mow it but it's way too wet - but nowhere near flooded as the south is. Today's just about the first day that temps are down to 4C.

Using winter tyres unnecessarily gets expensive, they wear faster than "normal" tyres and need to be replaced at 4mm. The UK climate is so unpredictable, winter tyres would have been great around here for 2 of the last 4 winters but you can't predict the weather.
      02-22-2014, 06:03 PM   #11
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

car buried front view.pdf

car buried side view.pdf

split rock.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
I finally had put on the R2's before my winter trip. Had them done at Town Fair Tire in Natick,MA. Had a slight balance issue and they corrected it. I will say that these tires are exceptional in the snow so far. I pulled out of this spot after shoveling to get in. This was a weeks worth of snow. The X3 was parked by the condo we were staying in at the top of Powder Mtn in Utah. I had good weather from Boston to UT except for some snow showers in Chicago area. I got to UT on 2/2 and it has been snowing since I got out west. I've been in Jackson Hole,WY for a little over a week and same thing....snowing every day. Fabulous skiing when you can see. Glad I have snow tires on. I came over Teton Pass near Jackson,WY in a snowstorm and the tires felt great in the snow. I'd buy another set. The ride across the country at 80-90mph was smooth. So far so good. Next stop I think will be north of here to just over the border in Canada at Red Mtn if I see snow coming. I don't have to be back at work until end of March. The 3rd pic is me skiing thru Split Rock in the backcountry at Jackson Hole. I'll try to post more pics in the future.
Appreciate 0