BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-21-2016, 06:21 PM   #23
gresh
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2.8iXdrive

So, I thought I would provide an update on this forum for the p0171 odb error. I have replaced every piece of plastic and tube in the engine compartment as well as every sensor in the vacuum, evap and fuel system. I reset the adaptations using ista and reset the fuel injectors with the correct variances in the dme module. This helped a lot. If you replaced an engine, dme or your fuel injectors, you have to do this. Each injector has a number stamped on it. That has to be programmed into the dme for each injector. The Ltft went down about 10%, but didn't disappear.

Still have the code. The car runs like new, and it takes a few weeks for the code to come back. I am confident that there is no vacuum leak

My next fix will be the fuel pump. Any ideas are definitely welcome at this point.
      09-22-2016, 09:47 AM   #24
F30ed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, X3 35M

Quote:
Originally Posted by gresh View Post
and reset the fuel injectors with the correct variances in the dme module. This helped a lot.
Did you know the values somehow or you had to pull injectors out to read it?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 12:05 PM   #25
SpanishJack
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 2.8XDriveMSport

Hi, long time site lurker, previous owner of a 2003 325i (sold last year) and now of a 2013 X3 28i with all bells & whistles options plus a 2016 M4 with every option except ceramic brakes. Pardon if I'm posting in wrong thread, but I'm victim of the X3 dreaded "crankcase failure" and "low oil pressure" N20 engine failure. Car has roughly 58K miles. Because I lurked this site I was aware of the N20 timing chain issue and bought the extended warrantee (6yrs/100K miles) before mileage hit 50K. Malfunction caught me doing 60MPH on I95 in NY/CT border. Lucky I had time to pull car over and park it in service road (information on panel said something along the line power was reduced and to get to a BMW location immediately) while I waited for road assistance (2hr wait) to come and tow me to the dealer I bought car in NYC. I shutdown car in N and didn't pull brakes, but when tow truck driver arrived he wasn't able to start car. Ditto by representative at the dealer. This happened last week. My SA call me early this week confirming timing chain had broken. What caught me by surprise was SA telling me plan to replace the timing chain. I thought the engine was supposed to be replaced when this breakdown occurred? As a mechanical engineer my trade, I communicated to the SA my opposition to such plan. Work is on hold until I have telecom with SA and service manager to discuss my opposition to repair plan. Any recommendation(s) will be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 09:54 PM   #26
Scout10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 X28i

BUMMER ! on the forced motor swap. can't knock the replacement though,
sounds like you got a decent one . . . condition and miles for the $$
just a guess on this .... lean thing. rotate the injector positions. (change signals)
double check fuel line condition and fuel filter / screens.
continue to truck on !
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 03:27 PM   #27
lukaszz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3

hi

I was wonder if you ever found the problem. I have same problem with my X3 2013 .
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 09:38 AM   #28
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

Sounds like a bad air flow sensor giving wonky readings to me. This would trip up the fuel trim and give you the readings you are seeing. If it were my car, I would replace the air flow sensor.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 03:13 PM   #29
AM Jahan
Rep
Drives: X3, F25

High Positive LTFT after engine replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by gresh View Post
So, I thought I would provide an update on this forum for the p0171 odb error. I have replaced every piece of plastic and tube in the engine compartment as well as every sensor in the vacuum, evap and fuel system. I reset the adaptations using ista and reset the fuel injectors with the correct variances in the dme module. This helped a lot. If you replaced an engine, dme or your fuel injectors, you have to do this. Each injector has a number stamped on it. That has to be programmed into the dme for each injector. The Ltft went down about 10%, but didn't disappear.

Still have the code. The car runs like new, and it takes a few weeks for the code to come back. I am confident that there is no vacuum leak

My next fix will be the fuel pump. Any ideas are definitely welcome at this point.
Dear Gresh, I know that it has been a long time since you popped up your problem in this forum, but I have the exact same problem after I replaced my 2013, X3, F25, 2.8i, N20 engine!!! The car runs well but I've got a P0171(lean condition) error code from the beginning. The LTFT at idle is around +14% and my LTFT at partial load to wide open throttle is almost around +24~+25% and the STFT is always oscillating between -8~+8 (idle and under load). I had coded my new injector adjustments and also did an adaptation reset following that (no increment wheel adaptation reset has been done by me yet). But till know, I did not get an improvement in my fuel trims. What was the main cause of your problem? Any reply is appreciated.
Appreciate 0