BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-16-2013, 12:17 AM   #1
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Navigation Lookup

I noticed this a while ago, just haven't had the time to post until now. What is the best way to lookup a business address/location. I try Points of Interest (POI) but I have to say, it's really frustrating. What database is BMW using, the Secretary of State parent company name?

If I try and find a local business that's been around for years at the same address, like say, a restaurant named "Back East Bar and Grill". It simply never comes up when I use any of the POI search options. It's like it needs the name that's registered with the state rather than the common names of these businesses.

Anyone have any tips or tricks to better search for local businesses.

Packages | M-Sport | Cold I & II | Tech | Premium | Sound | BMW Apps, HUD, Net
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 05:38 AM   #2
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I've had similar results. Whenever possible I use the iPhone app to search the destination and send it to the car. Surprisingly, that seems to not only get an accurate result when the nav itself might not, but it's also faster. While this is most often a fine solution for me, it doesn't work when driving. In that situation I've often been disappointed not being able to pull up the destination even with reasonable search terms and a clear destination name. Hope they improve that. The Google search worked better, but I stopped paying the yearly fee for that, so I guess that's my fault.
      01-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
rmeir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x3

same i searched for starbucks and it couldnt find it, yet there is a hundreed of them around here the iphone found several in 5 seconds
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
PeteX3MWhite
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35 M SPort

NAV is pretty poor in this car. Or maybe I am spoiled by my Android phone and Google maps where voice commands of a location work flawlessly (hit the Navigation arrow on the phone, select the microphone picture that says "speak destination", say "Burger King" and bingo, it shows a list of the nearest locations sorted by distance).

BMW NAV.... forget it. You have to know the street address, and enter / speak that.

Mind you, I had a Honda Ridgeline (2010) that had a NAV that worked similar to Google - just say the name and it would try to interpret it (and the NAV screen was touch screen).

I don't know if BMW used the same crappy NAV on all their vehicles, but I would be pretty let down if I had a 6 or 7 series that had such a poor system.

I've resorted to what someone else said, have my phone look up the address, and then enter the address into the NAV in the car. That's pretty lame.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

How do you do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
I've had similar results. Whenever possible I use the iPhone app to search the destination and send it to the car.
How exactly, do you send it to your phone. I remembered reading somewhere you could locate something on Google maps and "send" the location to your car >> then use "Messages" (or something) to get the address. I tried it, but it never worked. Any tips?

I'm glad/sad to know I'm not the only one who thinks the BMW navigation lookup is more fit for tonka-toys than expensive luxury vehicles.

I would suggest to any BMW engineer that might be perusing the posts... If you aren't going to do it well, don't do it!

Packages | M-Sport | Cold I & II | Tech | Premium | Sound | BMW Apps, HUD, Net
Appreciate 0