BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-12-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
GoHawks
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i M Sport

M Sport worth it?

Hey guys... Been going through a lot of replacement scenarios for my 2007 335i coupe. Now gently leaning towards the X3.

Question of the day. M Sport. Worth the cost? I've seen the "it's cosmetic" argument. Also seen the diehard love for the sport seats. I am a huge fan of the seats, but the other elements, 19" wheels, steering wheel upgrade, etc... Does that justify the price?

Curious on thoughts. May pull the trigger here soon, especially if I can find one on the lot, built the way I like and take advantage of the option incentives BMW has going these days.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 07:49 AM   #2
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
either u love it or hate it, who cares what any1 thinks.
if u were to change ur mind after u purchase to convert to msport it would be more expensive, its cheaper to get it now.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 08:52 AM   #3
flavius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Gran Coupe

If you happen to like what it does to the X3 - who's going to stop you?
      05-12-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
GoHawks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
If you happen to like what it does to the X3 - who's going to stop you?
No one, of course... But it's not like the car won't drive down the road without it so I'm trying to determine if it's worth it, given what you get.

I tend to analyze car purchases in this manner, which is probably why it's so hard to me to pull the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 10:39 AM   #5
bounderboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 LCI 2.0d X-Line

I couldn't justify an M-Sport in my budget personally - so went for X-Line. Little disappointed the X-line is only cosmetic enhancements - but I needed to have 18inch decent alloys and liked the added off road trim. The SE looked like it might look cheap..

I have not seen X-line yet but hope the Dark copper trim is nice too with the Mocha.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 12:00 PM   #6
riguy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X3 M-Sport 28i

Garage List
Maybe this will help...Here are my reasons for getting the M-Sport.

Exterior styling is much more aggresive on the front end. The X3, at least where I live, tends to be a soccer mom car. I wanted something to make it stand out from the pack. The back end also has the black diffusor, which is a much better look than standard.

The sport seats are basically a 100% requirement for me. When I get a loaner with the standard seats, it's always makes me happy to get back in mine

I like the gloss black trim pieces, more sporty.

Performance Control is standard with M-Sport. This should help handling quite a bit (assuming, haven't tried yet).

Black Headliner on the inside, coupled with nice interior choices, really sets it apart from a normal car.

Guess that's about it...good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 12:05 PM   #7
Oslermarine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 35i M-sport X3

I think this question is oddly controversial. Where I live, I could see 3-5 x3s just driving to work. With all due respect, the baseline x3 is an upper-middle class, doctor’s wife, probably had some plastic surgery done, soccer mom’s car. I joke, but to me it is a little too common. The x-line adds some lines but is very subtle. If the budget isn’t an issue, I think the m-sport makes the car look a lot better, not to mention the interior upgrades. Despite what I said above, I really like the car for many reasons so my goal was to make it less of a “soccer mom car.” I got the bigger engine, m-sport, 20” wheels, etc. So in short, I think the m-sport, although hideous to some on this website, looks great and is worth it.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2014, 12:09 PM   #8
Oslermarine
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oslermarine View Post
I think this question is oddly controversial. Where I live, I could see 3-5 x3s just driving to work. With all due respect, the baseline x3 is an upper-middle class, doctor’s wife, probably had some plastic surgery done, soccer mom’s car. I joke, but to me it is a little too common. The x-line adds some lines but is very subtle. If the budget isn’t an issue, I think the m-sport makes the car look a lot better, not to mention the interior upgrades. Despite what I said above, I really like the car for many reasons so my goal was to make it less of a “soccer mom car.” I got the bigger engine, m-sport, 20” wheels, etc. So in short, I think the m-sport, although hideous to some on this website, looks great and is worth it.
My post was made before reading the post above
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 12:09 PM   #9
GoHawks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by riguy View Post
Maybe this will help...Here are my reasons for getting the M-Sport.

Exterior styling is much more aggresive on the front end. The X3, at least where I live, tends to be a soccer mom car. I wanted something to make it stand out from the pack. The back end also has the black diffusor, which is a much better look than standard.

The sport seats are basically a 100% requirement for me. When I get a loaner with the standard seats, it's always makes me happy to get back in mine

I like the gloss black trim pieces, more sporty.

Performance Control is standard with M-Sport. This should help handling quite a bit (assuming, haven't tried yet).

Black Headliner on the inside, coupled with nice interior choices, really sets it apart from a normal car.

Guess that's about it...good luck!
Ya know, it's funny... Was talking to my brother in law yesterday and I said, that I was looking for a new car and the X3 was on the short list. At the same time, I saw one across the street and mentioned that. He was quick to respond that his neighbor's wife drives it. And reiterated wife with a smile. I was trying to explain the M Sport look and showed him a picture. He changed his opinion after seeing it.

I would agree it does change the look of the car... And while my son is a heck of a soccer player, I'm not ready to be perceived as a soccer mom.

What paint color did you go with?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 12:12 PM   #10
GoHawks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oslermarine View Post
My post was made before reading the post above
Funny how that happens.

It's not so much a budget issue as much as the $3K being used for something else.

Having done some searching, it does appear it's a conversation across all BMW lines. Just looking for brutal, honest feedback. All appreciated thus far.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 12:47 PM   #11
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

It's strange how sexism is sometimes applied to cars. I could say that where I live most X5s are driven by Cheshire Set women yet in the US the X5 is seen as more manly. Either way get the car that suits your needs in terms of space and driving experience. Don't pay attention to those who have hang ups.
      05-12-2014, 12:57 PM   #12
Oslermarine
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHawks View Post
Ya know, it's funny... Was talking to my brother in law yesterday and I said, that I was looking for a new car and the X3 was on the short list. At the same time, I saw one across the street and mentioned that. He was quick to respond that his neighbor's wife drives it. And reiterated wife with a smile. I was trying to explain the M Sport look and showed him a picture. He changed his opinion after seeing it.

I would agree it does change the look of the car... And while my son is a heck of a soccer player, I'm not ready to be perceived as a soccer mom.

What paint color did you go with?
I went with the carbon black with saddle brown interior. I'm not sure if that makes it more or less "manly" but I like darker colors. Having said that, some of the lighter colors such as space grey really show the aggressive lines. As I said above, I think it is worth the $3 grand when you factor in all of the interior upgrades above (ie. it is more than just a new bumper). If it comes down to soccer camp for your boy or the m-sport model, I'd go m-sport...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #13
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

I prefer a dark headliner thus the M-sport
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 09:03 PM   #14
Coreyn
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X-3 35i

Garage List
2014 BMW X-3  [0.00]
2014 BMW X-3  [0.00]
Absolutly but I opted to go for a 2014 leftover 3.5 with the m-sport as opposed to a 2015. Lease is the same as my 2.8 and I got a car worth 10K more than my old one. I love the look, the rims, the seats are great and the twin turbo I-6 kicks but!

Quote:
Hey guys... Been going through a lot of replacement scenarios for my 2007 335i coupe. Now gently leaning towards the X3.

Question of the day. M Sport. Worth the cost? I've seen the "it's cosmetic" argument. Also seen the diehard love for the sport seats. I am a huge fan of the seats, but the other elements, 19" wheels, steering wheel upgrade, etc... Does that justify the price?

Curious on thoughts. May pull the trigger here soon, especially if I can find one on the lot, built the way I like and take advantage of the option incentives BMW has going these days.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 04:26 AM   #15
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Presumably it works the same in the US when leasing....the M Sport has a higher price but with this comes a higher residual too. This means that the lease cost for the M Sport over SE/xline doesn't increase by anywhere near as much as it would if you piled on a load of extras of the same value (with zero residual).
      05-13-2014, 07:11 AM   #16
GoHawks
Rep

Thanks guys. Keep the feedback coming. FYI, probably going to buy and not lease. Tend to keep cars longer (current BMW is 7 years old).
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 07:25 AM   #17
GoHawks
Rep

BTW, anyone own or can comment on Mineral Silver as a color? My dealer happens to have a 35i M Sport on the lot, but it's in Mineral Silver. Seems like a ho-hum color, but I haven't seen it in person.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 08:43 AM   #18
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
BTW, anyone own or can comment on Mineral Silver as a color? My dealer happens to have a 35i M Sport on the lot, but it's in Mineral Silver. Seems like a ho-hum color, but I haven't seen it in person.
I dont think Msport comes in that color, maybe glacier silver? or space grey

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...isualizer.html
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 08:55 AM   #19
GoHawks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
I dont think Msport comes in that color, maybe glacier silver? or space grey

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...isualizer.html
Probably is glacier, then... Looks like they made a typo. Definitely not space grey by the pictures.

Ok, so strike mineral silver above and replace with glacier silver.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 09:04 AM   #20
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Probably is glacier, then... Looks like they made a typo. Definitely not space grey by the pictures.

i think it would be great color, u can see all the msport lines across the X3
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 09:04 AM   #21
Oslermarine
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Agree that it is a little ho hum given so many other great colors. However, some really love simpler colors and it definitely still looks good!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 09:07 AM   #22
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i would have picked space grey with msport package but my fiancee already has '14 28i space grey. I went with carbon black, usually all of my cars have been light color, 2 alpine white and 1 silver.
Appreciate 0