BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-11-2015, 07:20 AM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
How to Retrofit Paddle Shifters

I have a 35i base model. I would like to install paddle shifters if possible without having to buy a new wheel and airbag. First pic is what I have now. Second is what I've found online which is a m sport wheel with shifters. With the exception of the paddles and m emblem they look pretty identical. I realize at very least coding is a requirement.

09-11-2015, 10:22 AM   #2
exon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i Jet Black!

You might want to double check if you have the wiring for the paddles, BMW has the habit of not pre-wiring for the items that are not optioned on the car. And then coding might be tricky.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 05:12 AM   #3
akshay1234
Private First Class
India
Rep
Drives: E90 320D, F25 X3 30D

Garage List
2011 BMW 320D  [0.00]
The M steering is a little more compact, and thicker and in general much nicer to hold than the normal sport steering.

I just retrofitted paddles to my X3 a few weeks ago, and it involved wiring. No coding as such is required. You will need to check if the wiring is present.

PM me so I can then send you some info on it.

edit - But you will want to code 2tb, since it just improves the car a whole lot!
Appreciate 5
      09-14-2015, 02:24 PM   #4
exon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The M steering is a little more compact, and thicker and in general much nicer to hold than the normal sport steering.

I just retrofitted paddles to my X3 a few weeks ago, and it involved wiring. No coding as such is required. You will need to check if the wiring is present.

edit - But you will want to code 2tb, since it just improves the car a whole lot!
Tell us a bit more about code 2tb (sport AT?).... what does it change?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 05:32 AM   #5
akshay1234
Private First Class
India
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by exon View Post
Tell us a bit more about code 2tb (sport AT?).... what does it change?
2TB (sport at) changes the way the car feels. The throttle is more sensitive in all modes. The gearshifts are quicker in all modes. In sport and sport + you get a small jerk with the gearshift like the DCT boxes. Also in manual mode the shifts are instant, and it blips the throttle on downshifts. In manual mode in sport + mode, the gear doesn't upshift even if you hit the redline.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 09:21 AM   #6
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:

Would you be able to PM me some info about this?
Appreciate 1
F25_x311.50
      10-16-2015, 03:46 PM   #7
Tangsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 x3 M40i

Just coded 2TB (Sport Automatic Transmission) last night.

I now have Sport+ mode (Sport+DTC) and S1-S7 instead of DS. I haven't tested for no kickdown or automatic upshift but I can't say I notice any difference in shifts - but so far I've only driven my usual rush hour commute, so haven't had a chance to put it through the wringer. Possible that throttle sensitivity (beyond sport mode without SAT), faster gearshifts, and downshift throttle blips are placebo?

edit:
Played around a bit more and manual shifts do seem faster. Automatic shifts (Comfort, Sport, Sport+, DS) all still feel the same to me.

Last edited by Tangsta; 10-17-2015 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 04:58 AM   #8
akshay1234
Private First Class
India
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangsta View Post

I now have Sport+ mode (Sport+DTC) and S1-S7 instead of DS. I haven't tested for no kickdown or automatic upshift but I can't say I notice any difference in shifts - but so far I've only driven my usual rush hour commute, so haven't had a chance to put it through the wringer. Possible that throttle sensitivity (beyond sport mode without SAT), faster gearshifts, and downshift throttle blips are placebo?

edit:
Played around a bit more and manual shifts do seem faster. Automatic shifts (Comfort, Sport, Sport+, DS) all still feel the same to me.
Did you also code the ICM ecu?

What you mention is not placebo, but definitely due to the 2tb.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 09:25 AM   #9
exon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

edit:
I coded 2TB too last week and bunch other things. Feel the same as you do: did not notice any change in auto-mode. Still the same lazy throttle tip-in and wait-a-minute gear shifting at low speed.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 12:06 PM   #10
Tangsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 x3 M40i

Quote:
Did you also code the ICM ecu?

What you mention is not placebo, but definitely due to the 2tb.
Yes, coded EGS, ICM, and KOMBI.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 02:10 AM   #11
akshay1234
Private First Class
India
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by exon View Post
I coded 2TB too last week and bunch other things. Feel the same as you do: did not notice any change in auto-mode. Still the same lazy throttle tip-in and wait-a-minute gear shifting at low speed.
Quote:
Yes, coded EGS, ICM, and KOMBI.
Its weird you guys didn't notice a difference. When I had coded it, driving with little throttle for the first 10 minutes even I was wondering what the differences are. I then realized the throttle is a lot more sensitive in comfort mode, and even eco pro is much more usable now.

Put your foot down a little bit and you will notice much quicker shifts, even in comfort mode. In sport mode its a different ball game altogether. Manual mode shifts are significantly quicker, and downshifts are immediate.

Drive a car with regular transmission and you will notice immediately.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 03:09 AM   #12
NikoS3
Rep
Drives: Bmw X3 F25 Lci

Hello, thinking of fitting an M steering wheel to my 2015 LCI X3 20d and am trying to collect information. Can someone give me some guides on how i can check if the wiring is there and what is needed if not? Have found some conflicting information on the web and most are for the pre-lci model.

TIA,

Nikos
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 06:48 AM   #13
Nelson Salvado
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 2.0d Xdrive

Help with F25 2.0d

Hello all.

I have been watching this post because i own a 2012 f25 2.0d, that came with no paddles.
Just bought and installed a oem steering wheel just like the one in the picture atached.
Unfortunatelly it came with no wiring at all, not even the one to the transmission.
Have some few questions if you be kind of answering.

Need help with wiring diagram and also need the part number for the pinīs in the connectors.

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 03:36 PM   #14
Unboundedstar
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:

Hey I have a 2011 X3 XDRIVE 35i. I want to add paddle shifters. Can you run me through the steps and what parts you bought to complete this project. Would be really helpful. Thank you.
Appreciate 0