BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-15-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
arvid
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20D M-sport

Carbon Black or Black Sapphire?

Please give me som advise regarding choice of color! I´m going for a 2,0d with m-package and don´t know what to choose
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
Skully
Guru
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Carbon black has some Blue in the color. I'm not real crazy about it but it's a color unique to M packages or cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 06:54 AM   #3
lvanderh
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

If you go for the M pack, you should go for Carbon black (unique for the M pack)
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
arvid
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvanderh View Post
If you go for the M pack, you should go for Carbon black (unique for the M pack)
thanks, yeah that´s what I´m thinking. It will be less carbon black out there...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 05:29 AM   #5
Neo-Orpheus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Astra

I've seen a bmw 5 series with the carbon black color. If you look at the car front on it looks like very dark blue. If you look at the car side on, it's actually black. A very unique color but I prefer Alpine White in the M sports.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 06:39 AM   #6
arvid
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-Orpheus View Post
I've seen a bmw 5 series with the carbon black color. If you look at the car front on it looks like very dark blue. If you look at the car side on, it's actually black. A very unique color but I prefer Alpine White in the M sports.
Thanks I went for Saphire black, I hope I made the right choice.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 06:44 AM   #7
guitarpath
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 35i

Could someone post pics of both for comparison?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 07:54 AM   #8
Max1Factor
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20i M Sport

Thing is you need to see Carbon Black in person. You look across the car and most panels will be saphire black, but you'll spot a section with more light on it that shows up as sparkling dark navy blue. Photo might not show this. Your dealer may have a 5 series m sport in the stock to look at.

Its a great colour. If you like black and have ordered m sport go for it as its unique. imho.

Max3
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 08:11 AM   #9
ChitownX
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 CB X3 35i MS; 07 BS M Coupé

I was in the same position. I went with the Carbon Black but still have my doubts if it's a color I can live with for 5 or more years. Unfortunately it’s probably too late to change it as my car is supposed to go into production next week.

Here are a couple of pics I took this week at the dealer I ordered my X3 M Sport from. Carbon Black on an X5M parked next to a 3 series in Sapphire Black. You can clearly see a blue hue next to the 3 series and versus the black trim on the X5M.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvid View Post
Thanks I went for Saphire black, I hope I made the right choice.
You did

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
BXM3W
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 RX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownX
I was in the same position. I went with the Carbon Black but still have my doubts if it's a color I can live with for 5 or more years. Unfortunately it’s probably too late to change it as my car is supposed to go into production next week.

Here are a couple of pics I took this week at the dealer I ordered my X3 M Sport from. Carbon Black on an X5M parked next to a 3 series in Sapphire Black. You can clearly see a blue hue next to the 3 series and versus the black trim on the X5M.
Thanks for the pics. I've owned a black, silver, and now black car. When I decided on an X3 I initially selected Mineral Silver w/X-line. Then it was Sea Blue w/M-Sport. Now I'm on to Carbon Black w/M-Sport! Even in the rain that looks really good. Also nice to see the Black Sapphire right next to it and the Sea Blue in the background for comparison.
Appreciate 0