BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-08-2014, 12:07 AM   #1
iX3
Rep
Drives: X3, 28i

Comments on F25 rear camera retrofit

Has anybody had an experience with this type of rear camera retrofit. I believe it automatically gives you a rear camera view when going into reverse. It uses the CAN bus to detect view switiching. Seems easier than an OEM retrofit.

http://www.mudah.my/BMW+Reverse+Came...7-20568816.htm
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 11:17 PM   #2
ryanburk
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

search through the forums. back in the may/june timeframe there was a nice write up by someone who did it. and the net was that it worked well and wasn't that hard, but you had to take apart the dash, rear hatch, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 01:06 AM   #3
iX3
Rep
Drives: X3, 28i

Thank you for the reply. I had already read the two I found around june/july. Both were from Bimmer Tech and I didn't think they were the same as the link I posted. Neither BT write-up mentioned how the unit worked.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...amera+retrofit

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...amera+retrofit
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 07:47 AM   #4
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I contacted the seller as I'm interested as well.

Here is the response I got re: a couple questions I had about install.

Quote:
Installation is quite straightforward. You would need to replace the trunk handle with the trunk handle camera that we provide. Run the wire all the way to the front. Plug it to the module. Module has 2 harness. One is for power/can lines (which is PNP via a Y cable :-> here is why we say no wires cut/tapped) and another is the pin out directly to quadlock behind the CIC/NBT (video lines).

It will require coding. We can do remote coding. If you have an ENET cable, you can connect one end to your car and the RJ45 connector to your switch and enable port forwarding. Then all coding can be done swiftly.
I am pretty handy but I don't know if I'm up to pulling my dash apart.
      08-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #5
asinrute
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

Anybody in the UK had a rear camera retrofit, I would like to do it but can't find any UK suppliers
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 05:15 PM   #6
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sideways

Hey everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster...

I bought my car about 3 months ago (6 months old, ex-BMW staff car), so didn't have much choice over the options.

There were two things missing that I really wanted: Harmon/Kardon speaker package and a reverse view camera.

Realising I couldn't do anything about the sound system, I spent about 6 weeks researching reverse view camera options. I contacted 3 different BMW dealers asking for costs of the option listed on their website (http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/topics/ow...ryId=5124.html) and nobody seemed interested in wanting to help.

I opted for the BimmerTech option (http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw-...a-retrofit-oem).

The package arrived a few days later and I set about the install...

I have to say, I wasn't too keen on removing bits of trim, but actually, the car is very well put together and there were no incidents of snapping lugs or breaking trim - most parts (up front at the driver end) are screwed in. In fact, I am pretty sure that I have taken more care in the removal / refit of trim than a BMW mechanic would have done (it is my car after all!).

The cabling supplied (OEM) was longer than need be, so no worries about having to tug at cables to get them to reach. I also received an ethernet OBD plug for the coding part (which I may use again later if I get tempted by coding at some point in the future...)

Sure, removing the head unit in the dash was a little daunting, but again, once you find the screws, it was all quite simple to remove and replace the various bits.

I carried out the work over two weekends: camera / camera module / running wires from the boot to the glovebox on one Sunday afternoon; plumbing in the wiring to the head unit on the following Sunday afternoon, followed by hooking up a laptop with remote access for the tech guys to enable the module.

The bit that impressed me the most is the fact that the guys from BimmerTech were responding to emails / Skype messages almost instantaneously on separate Sunday afternoons. I didn't have to take time off work during the week to ask for help / carry out the coding.

All in all, I am very pleased with the end result and wouldn't hesitate to do the same again (if one day I can afford an M5 that didn't have a reverse camera!).

Not sure if this helps or not, but a positive review from me on the BimmerTech option...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 07:09 PM   #7
smytw
Private
Rep
Drives: Used to have '15 X35i

Same from this side of the keyboard..
Live in Houston.. bought the BimmerTech retrofit, arrive via dhl to my house.. found me a local bmw tech.. installed, calibrated camara... no issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 04:41 PM   #8
mmaia
Rep

I'm also a happy customer from bimmer-tech. Did the install myselft over the weekend, the instructions were complete and as noted before the car is very well put together so no problem removing the pannels with no incidents. Took my time and left only the connection to the fuse box for the next weekend. The techs in bimmer-tech are very responsive and any doubts where cleared very fast. Scheduled the coding for the next saturday. Did the fuse box conection and started the remote coding session as scheduled (done in around 40 minutes).

I'm very happy with the end results and would not hesitate to refer bimmer-tech option.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 08:57 AM   #9
zzz
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: G31 520i

I don't get it - 1230$ for an option you can get for 400$ from BMW while ordering?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 05:51 AM   #10
WimX3
Registered
Rep

Hey
Is there anyone who can tell me how to code de rear view camera. I have the BMW OEM retrofit rear view camera but I don't get any videoimage on my screen. Only the icons on the left from the screen.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 11:40 AM   #11
Carlostoe
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2013

Hi Wim,

I found this in that link
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...+camera&page=2
in posting 28
....after installing you have to code the new option (3AG).

regards, Carlo
Appreciate 0