BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #23
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
My cousin had one and not only do you have no leg room, its slow, interior is a flashback from the Ford days.. Whats to like in this vehicle? I opted for a bigger X5 and never looked back..
If you bought a X5, you have already looked back since the technologies are older than the X3
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #24
MrFargo13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i M-Sport/2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
So you have the basic X3 which IMO rides horrible. There is no X3M btw. My cousin had one and not only do you have no leg room, its slow, interior is a flashback from the Ford days.. Whats to like in this vehicle? I opted for a bigger X5 and never looked back.. I may move over to the 2014 X5 next year as I like the newer look from my older E70 X5.

I was very disappointed with the X3 line as the X1 line.
Why did you bring back a thread that is over a year and a half old when you don't even own an X3?
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #25
citrilla
Winker
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Space Grey X3 MSport 2.0d

The bouncing as described is simply the result of the sport suspension set up. It is a well documented feature of BMW sport suspensions--often referred to in magazines as 'unsettling'. This is why the VDC is an option worth having on the M Sport. Many reviews will tell the reader to avoid sport suspension on its own.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 05:38 AM   #26
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrilla View Post
The bouncing as described is simply the result of the sport suspension set up. It is a well documented feature of BMW sport suspensions--often referred to in magazines as 'unsettling'. This is why the VDC is an option worth having on the M Sport. Many reviews will tell the reader to avoid sport suspension on its own.
Not on a US spec car. They don't get sport suspension even on the Msport and their standard suspension is softer than UK/Europe standard spec.

My 335i MSport bounced around rough roads but my X3 with sport suspension is totally great, actually I find it's better controlled than the standard suspension.
      11-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #27
paulbmwvirgin
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 E25 SAP, DH

X3 with wheel flat spots

I know this is an old thread but exactly the subject of a recent issue. I threw out the runflats on my 2013 X3, complete garbage. I have 22K miles on my X3 and love it, except on smooth roads - where I expect the smoothest of rides, even in sport mode. However, I get a slight vibration/bouncing, like the road is imperfect - no matter how good the road, I still get the bouncing.

On a recent trip to the shop to get my winters mounted I asked them to really nail the balance (thinking the bouncing was an out-of-balance condition), this shop always does an excellent job. They reported to me that both my right wheels were bent (flat spots on the inboard side of the rim). These are the factory 18" wheels. They suspected that I hit a road imperfection some time before on the right side

What a drag. Now to get aftermarket wheels, I can't stand the bouncing.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #28
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

Must be trolling...
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #29
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

[QUOTE=paulbmwvirgin;14924372]I know this is an old thread but exactly the subject of a recent issue. I threw out the runflats on my 2013 X3, complete garbage.]

Paul, I am thinking about getting rid of the runflats on mine. Did you notice a big difference in ride quality with non-runflats?
My car handles fine on very smooth tarmac, but is quite jittery or bumpy on uneven tarmac. I am hoping that some non-runflats might improve things?
Ian
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 05:50 AM   #30
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

[QUOTE=ianfp;14935404]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbmwvirgin View Post
I know this is an old thread but exactly the subject of a recent issue. I threw out the runflats on my 2013 X3, complete garbage.]

Paul, I am thinking about getting rid of the runflats on mine. Did you notice a big difference in ride quality with non-runflats?
My car handles fine on very smooth tarmac, but is quite jittery or bumpy on uneven tarmac. I am hoping that some non-runflats might improve things?
Ian
The car feels completely different with my winter non-RFTs. Summer tyres are runflats and uneven and not smooth asphalt pulls the car all over the place. Also the noise is irritating.

With the non runflat winter tyres the car is much more refined, comfy and goes straight. The "grooves" on the asphalt or any other unevenness doesn't have any effect, it goes like a train.

Of course winter tyres (nordic) are softer, when driving fast and pushing to limits, the car feels not that sharp.

I will change my summer tyres to non runflats too. I feel stupid driving a fine car with shitty tyres, which tyres ruin the car's refined feel.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #31
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

I have a 2011 with the M-Sport package. It is certainly not a sports car and should not be judged in comparison to one. It does not give the driving experience my Z3 does or old M3 did. However, considering it is a heavy SUV with a high center of gravity, I think it handles very well and I enjoy driving it. It handles much much better than other non BMW SUVs I have driven.

For example, I also have a Lexus RX-350. Everyone who complains about how the X3 handles should endure the Lexus experience and think about how much they really have to complain about. The Lexus is an ultra reliable vehicle and the ride is wonderful, if you do not leave a well paved, straight as an arrow, and well graded interstate highway. The BMW is abosolutely refreshing in comparison. The Lexus suddenly veers to one one side due to torque steer if suddenly giving it full throttle, the X3 does not flinch except in the forward direction. The Lexus leans hard on tight curves and feels like it is going to slide or roll off the road, the X3 provides a feeling of absolute control. I could go on but my point is it is an SUV, has the drivability issues SUVs have, but in comparison to other SUVs, it does very well.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #32
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

[QUOTE=Rodion;14937828]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfp View Post

The car feels completely different with my winter non-RFTs. Summer tyres are runflats and uneven and not smooth asphalt pulls the car all over the place. Also the noise is irritating.

With the non runflat winter tyres the car is much more refined, comfy and goes straight. The "grooves" on the asphalt or any other unevenness doesn't have any effect, it goes like a train.

Of course winter tyres (nordic) are softer, when driving fast and pushing to limits, the car feels not that sharp.

I will change my summer tyres to non runflats too. I feel stupid driving a fine car with shitty tyres, which tyres ruin the car's refined feel.

Thanks for your feedback Rodion, I appreciate your insight into this.
I can't justify full winter tyres where I am and in any case, they are very difficult to get hold of for my staggered 19" wheels. I think I have found some all season, which is a compromise.

I am very happy with the handling of the X3 and I think it does very well, but the ride quality on poor surfaces is not as good as the M3 or E46 M Sport using non- runflat tyres that I used to have.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #33
eROCK
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28i

Garage List
Question

Urgggh, yes I have the same problem! I drive mostly on highways at high speed, and I feel it at any speed over 50mph. It feels like the wind is blowing the car side to side, but once you experience this every day, you know it's not wind. I had the service department take a look at it, and they said that everything looked normal and tight.
In my opinion, It must be a combination of run flat tires, and suspension (or height of the suspension). My wife's Mini Cooper has run flat tires, and it drives great, but it is also low to the ground. I'd be curious if anyone has swapped out dampeners and springs to lower the ride slightly...did this problem go away?
Appreciate 0