BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: The M's

My 2014 Is being built! Got the production number

Now how do I track it to see the progress? I have the production number and Im told were less than 6 weeks away!! I am so excited what a great friday!

2016 BMW X5 ///M
2016 BMW M4 ///M Convertible

aLatteHotte - www.aLatteHotte.com - The Future of Coffee
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
gsrinivas
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxcode View Post
Now how do I track it to see the progress? I have the production number and Im told were less than 6 weeks away!! I am so excited what a great friday!
Register in bmwusa.com and add your vehicle with production number/VIN number or call 800-831-1117 (option 2) for the latest status.

I just realized you are already a bmw owner and you may already know the above process. Not sure if there is any other way of tracking the progress.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrinivas View Post
Register in bmwusa.com and add your vehicle with production number/VIN number or call 800-831-1117 (option 2) for the latest status.

I just realized you are already a bmw owner and you may already know the above process. Not sure if there is any other way of tracking the progress.
Ugh I typed in the production number and it says it that it is not in their system yet but apparently it went into production on the 25th of this month according to my guy at bmw.

2016 BMW X5 ///M

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
gsrinivas
Rep

Quote:
Ugh I typed in the production number and it says it that it is not in their system yet but apparently it went into production on the 25th of this month according to my guy at bmw.
Did you try with the VIN number?

bmw website doesn't seem to have updated information. It never recognized my production number but could see some information with VIN number.

This is all I see when i add vehicle with last 7 digits of VIN number:

Space Gray Metallic, [Unknown Model]

I think only customer representative can give the latest information. I was told that the vehicle production is scheduled to be completed by 04/04/2013.

Not sure how long it takes to reach Oregon dealer after production complete.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you try with the VIN number?

bmw website doesn't seem to have updated information. It never recognized my production number but could see some information with VIN number.

This is all I see when i add vehicle with last 7 digits of VIN number:

Space Gray Metallic, [Unknown Model]

I think only customer representative can give the latest information. I was told that the vehicle production is scheduled to be completed by 04/04/2013.

Not sure how long it takes to reach Oregon dealer after production complete.
I only have the Production Number, I suppose I could get the VIN#. Im just excited as to the fact it started production. I thought that it only took a day to make a car but apparently it takes longer and then theres the transit issue. I can't wait! So excited!

2016 BMW X5 ///M

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
gsrinivas
Rep

Quote:
I only have the Production Number, I suppose I could get the VIN#. Im just excited as to the fact it started production. I thought that it only took a day to make a car but apparently it takes longer and then theres the transit issue. I can't wait! So excited!
From the information I gathered from internet, The first process is to put together the parts for the build and then the actual production, which will take only 2-3 days. The actual production of 2014 X3 starts on 04/01/2013.

Dealer would give the VIN number and the production completion date.

here is a nice link on how to track the vehicle - http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680467

I check my vehicle status at least 4 times a day knowing that the vehicle production won't be completed before 04/04/2013..It is crazy waiting...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
From the information I gathered from internet, The process is to put together the parts for the build and then the actual production, which will take only 2-3 days. The actual production of 2014 X3 starts on 04/01/2013.

Dealer would give the VIN number and the production completion date.
Ahhhh gotcha. So I was told 6 weeks from start to finish, so there must be a lot of transit time. I guess it takes up to 4-5 weeks to truck it to CA from NC.

2016 BMW X5 ///M

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #8
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

Congrats. Were you able to see any pictures of the 2014 model with your dealer? If so, any differences?

Or, any info regarding Turn Signal LEDs in the mirror housings?
I had read that all 2014s will have them.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by torzeck View Post
Congrats. Were you able to see any pictures of the 2014 model with your dealer? If so, any differences?

Or, any info regarding Turn Signal LEDs in the mirror housings?
I had read that all 2014s will have them.
No Im told it would be much the same. I just waited for the 2014 because it was one MY newer.

2016 BMW X5 ///M

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #10
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

Quote:
No Im told it would be much the same. I just waited for the 2014 because it was one MY newer.
Cool. I must have read some erroneous report. Put up the pics as soon as you get her.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

I tried to track mine but failed... but it arrived before I found anything about it...lol... good luck and enjoy.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #12
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
I tried to track mine but failed... but it arrived before I found anything about it...lol... good luck and enjoy.
Im glad you said that, mine still isn't tracking, but it's T minus 5 weeks at this point -- Can't Wait!!!

2016 BMW X5 ///M

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack
Tracking is USA only

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #14
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I checked once again with the production number and I HAVE TRACKING! It's in production (which I was already told).

2016 BMW X5 ///M

Last edited by osxcode; 04-26-2013 at 08:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #15
liverman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i

"production" is not the same as "assembly"

Since many of the parts (like the seats) are not in inventory, production means having to get the parts on order from the sub-contractors. For example, I understand that the seats are constructed by a vendor who loads them onto a truck in the reverse order of how they will be used on the assembly line. They are removed from the truck on the dock and placed directly into the correct vehicle during assembly.

The production number just means that the order has been accepted by the factory. I have had a production number since the beginning of March that is still in "no defined build date" status. This delay is my doing, not BMWs doing.

And then there is shipment. X3s travel by rail to the California Vehicle Delivery cener where they are off-loaded, inspected, staged and then loaded onto trucks for final dstinations west of the Rockies.
      04-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #16
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverman View Post
"production" is not the same as "assembly"

Since many of the parts (like the seats) are not in inventory, production means having to get the parts on order from the sub-contractors. For example, I understand that the seats are constructed by a vendor who loads them onto a truck in the reverse order of how they will be used on the assembly line. They are removed from the truck on the dock and placed directly into the correct vehicle during assembly.

The production number just means that the order has been accepted by the factory. I have had a production number since the beginning of March that is still in "no defined build date" status. This delay is my doing, not BMWs doing.

And then there is shipment. X3s travel by rail to the California Vehicle Delivery cener where they are off-loaded, inspected, staged and then loaded onto trucks for final dstinations west of the Rockies.
How come your vehicle is on hold?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #17
liverman
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How come your vehicle is on hold?
It has to do with this new iDrive/Nav mess (which is a mess no longer, but was during March).

I ordered on 11 March with the belief that the '14 would have the new iDrive and nav. I got a production number on that date (knowing full well building would not begin untiol 1 Apri). A few days later I double checked whether the '14 would have the new iDrive and Nav starting on 1 April and my dealer told me he had no official word from BMW NA that it was in the car. He called managers at BMW NA and they would not confirm that the new tech was on the cars starting on 1 April. Meanwhile, svereal other people were getting exactly the oppoosite info from their contacts at BMW NA. As I said - a mess.

So I pulled the order and decided to wait until "the mess" was sorted out. The dealer took the order, marked it "build for dealer inventory" and changed the color to something he thinks will sell better than my beautiful Deep Sea Blue (the nerve!) Of course, BMW dropped the priority on that order to zilch since they have other orders marked as "customer sold".

Yesterday, the very first '14 X3's hit the lots. Based on inspections of these cars by customers and some sales people, we ascertained that the '14 does in fact have the new iDrive!!! Bigger disk, faster CPU, more memory, NVIDIA graphics card - Yippee!!!!! I owe my CA some imported beers for the extra legwork he did.

So yesterday, I told my sales guy to place my order again. Since my original order was still "waiting for a build date", he went back in, flipped it to "customer sold", changed the color and I still have the same production number as I got in March

With the way they have been churning the new X3's off the line, I expect my order to get a real build date pretty soon and I have high hopes it will arrive here in Colorado in time for my wife's birthday at the end of the month.
      04-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #18
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Oh Awesome, I hope you get it in time for her Birthday too. My dealer told me less than six weeks, about a week ago, so Im expecting the first week or so of May.

2016 BMW X5 ///M

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #19
liverman
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
With the way they have been churning the new X3's off the line, I expect my order to get a real build date pretty soon and I have high hopes it will arrive here in Colorado in time for my wife's birthday at the end of the month.
I have a build date - mine is due to be completed by 17 April. So there is an excellent chance it will arrive here in Colorado before my wife's birthday!
      04-12-2013, 11:06 PM   #20
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Awesome! I just found out mine has finished production and is in the "finishing touches' phase. After calling BMW for an update, they say it might be here in about 10 days or so, it's already in transit to the CA sorting facility. Excited

Quote:
I have a build date - mine is due to be completed by 17 April. So there is an excellent chance it will arrive here in Colorado before my wife's birthday!

2016 BMW X5 ///M

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 03:00 AM   #21
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

I just wish that UK orders went into production as quick even though its the same factory !! ..... Mine is scheduled at the moment for week 23 production (1st week June) for week 29 delivery to the UK.

A very long wait but hopefully worth it

MS
      04-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #22
liverman
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukstevens View Post
I just wish that UK orders went into production as quick even though its the same factory !! ..... Mine is scheduled at the moment for week 23 production (1st week June) for week 29 delivery to the UK.

A very long wait but hopefully worth it

MS
Holy wow! I wonder if they batch the builds based on the placement of the steering wheel?