BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Key'ed!!!

I'm pissed! I wish I could have caught the bastard....I think I would have gone ballistic. $1300 to repair. I'm hoping the repair will be so good that I won't even know it was there. Now I feel like installing a remote camera to catch dirtbags like that.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
KingX
Unregistered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 M-Sport 35i

Ouch....that sucks. Was that just done at random or was it payback?

[Black Sapphire/Oyster/Wave Wood: ZPP/ZTP/ZCW/ZCX/ZDH/ZPS/ZMP/6NR]
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
dan5.5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Luxury Line

That sucks. One of my previous cars got keyed at a train station. The whole passenger side. Both doors and fenders. Good luck on the fix

Former: 2012 328i
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Sorry for you. No matter what happens, We got to live in this world with smile on our face. There would be good and bad days.

Oh i remember now, my brand new RFT tire was nailed by someone.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

That really sucks! I only hope the a-hole that damaged your car can eventually afford his/her own nice wheels and karma works it magic on the prick.

10-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #6
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

Karma will be a .....
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 03:47 AM   #7
StrykerX3M
Rep
Drives: X3 M package

I'll never understand why would someone do things like that
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 04:04 AM   #8
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35d M Sport

What a disgrace. I feel so sorry for you. I'm sure BMW will be able to match the paint.

They did a great job (you couldn't tell) on mine when some retard in an underground garage, here in Switzerland, intentionally and repeatedly hit my car (335d) with his delivery van's door by swinging it into my car. His door would bounce back off of my car and slam shut. He would repeat that another 2 times (there was plenty of room). He swung the door so hard each time that it made my whole car rock and it left a huge gash and dent right ahead of the rear wheel. What he and his 3 co-workers didn't know was that I was in the car at the time.

Anyway to make the long story short, I'm 6'3" and quite big, so after scaring the living shit out of him and his friends, I made him write and sign a statement, took pictures of him and the car, called his boss on the spot and let him go to change his panties.

The repair cost his company 3,500 CHF (hope he got fired) because of the dent, and of course the rear door and fender has to be repainted .

Anyway I guess I was "lucky" to be in the car but I can tell you that I have rarely felt so much rage towards another person and still wonder how I held back hurting him.

The only thing I can say is that there are some nasty and envious little people out there that just hate the fact that some might have nicer things then them. Just thinking of it still make my blood boil!

Anyway, check out the BMW. Somehow I think they will be the best as far as matching the colour and texture of the paint.

Take care and let us know how it works out.

Last edited by Chris55; 10-03-2012 at 04:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 05:35 AM   #9
slyfox
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X3-20d (2013)

That really sucks.

Hope you get that fixed up really nice

good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #10
MB_35D
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X3 Xdrive35D M Sport

I hope you have a good insurance;

maybe you can ask to repaint the whole car in order to have no color differences if you're not satisfied
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 07:17 AM   #11
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris55 View Post
What a disgrace. I feel so sorry for you. I'm sure BMW will be able to match the paint.

They did a great job (you couldn't tell) on mine when some retard in an underground garage, here in Switzerland, intentionally and repeatedly hit my car (335d) with his delivery van's door by swinging it into my car. His door would bounce back off of my car and slam shut. He would repeat that another 2 times (there was plenty of room). He swung the door so hard each time that it made my whole car rock and it left a huge gash and dent right ahead of the rear wheel. What he and his 3 co-workers didn't know was that I was in the car at the time.

Anyway to make the long story short, I'm 6'3" and quite big, so after scaring the living shit out of him and his friends, I made him write and sign a statement, took pictures of him and the car, called his boss on the spot and let him go to change his panties.

The repair cost his company 3,500 CHF (hope he got fired) because of the dent, and of course the rear door and fender has to be repainted .

Anyway I guess I was "lucky" to be in the car but I can tell you that I have rarely felt so much rage towards another person and still wonder how I held back hurting him.

The only thing I can say is that there are some nasty and envious little people out there that just hate the fact that some might have nicer things then them. Just thinking of it still make my blood boil!

Anyway, check out the BMW. Somehow I think they will be the best as far as matching the colour and texture of the paint.

+1
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #12
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I don't know how you could control your rage. I've never had a car damaged by vandalism. I have had one stolen but it was a 1975 Olds Cutlass so it didn't matter too much because I got a nice insurance settlement and I was much younger and just went out and got another clunker. But this time I think i handled it much better than I thought. I was mad but not over the top. It happened so what am I going to do? it wasn't payback....I have no enemies. I do have decent insuance with $300 deductible. The appraiser wants to take off all the trim like the lower black plastic and satin aluminum piece, the door handles and gaskets, black around the wheel wells incl the mudflaps (the finally are sticking really good!! haha) and even one of the roof rails so the paint can be blended in correctly. I'm taking it to the dealer's collision shop thinking that the might be the best to fix it and match the paint. And it was looking pretty good with 3 coats of Zaino on it too. Thanks for all the replies and letting me vent. I'll keep you all posted.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Angry

Sorry to hear that cadman. I have just had almost the exact same thing happen to mine. Prominent position, can't be fixed easily so looking at £500-£1000 and considering whether an insurance claim is worthwhile (you get caned here on future premiums and if you then have to make another claim and end up with 2 claims, you become hard/very expensive to insure).

Infuriating as it was definitely deliberate. The wife parked in a parking space and was on the line and someone parked very, very close to make a point about using more than one space, and we're pretty sure it was the guy who keyed it and as the scratch would have easily been noticed earlier, but no CCTV, no proof, no leg to stand on.
Attached Images

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #14
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Sorry to hear that cadman. I have just had almost the exact same thing happen to mine. Prominent position, can't be fixed easily so looking at £500-£1000 and considering whether an insurance claim is worthwhile (you get caned here on future premiums and if you then have to make another claim and end up with 2 claims, you become hard/very expensive to insure).

Infuriating as it was definitely deliberate. The wife parked in a parking space and was on the line and someone parked very, very close to make a point about using more than one space, and we're pretty sure it was the guy who keyed it and as the scratch would have easily been noticed earlier, but no CCTV, no proof, no leg to stand on.
That's nasty too! Some people suck. I wish there was video surveillance at the places I think it happened. But I asked and no there wasn't. I didn't even give it a thought about putting in a claim. I will argue with my insurance co. if my rates go up. No need for that. good luck on the repair.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 11:26 PM   #15
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I feel you 100%
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 11:31 PM   #16
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:

Calm heads prevail.. although i have to be honest I am pretty sure I would not have been that nice..
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #17
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman50 View Post
I don't know how you could control your rage. I've never had a car damaged by vandalism. I have had one stolen but it was a 1975 Olds Cutlass so it didn't matter too much because I got a nice insurance settlement and I was much younger and just went out and got another clunker. But this time I think i handled it much better than I thought. I was mad but not over the top. It happened so what am I going to do? it wasn't payback....I have no enemies. I do have decent insuance with $300 deductible. The appraiser wants to take off all the trim like the lower black plastic and satin aluminum piece, the door handles and gaskets, black around the wheel wells incl the mudflaps (the finally are sticking really good!! haha) and even one of the roof rails so the paint can be blended in correctly. I'm taking it to the dealer's collision shop thinking that the might be the best to fix it and match the paint. And it was looking pretty good with 3 coats of Zaino on it too. Thanks for all the replies and letting me vent. I'll keep you all posted.
Honestly, I'm not to sure how I did either. Maybe I'm getting older or I was lucid enough to see that it was 4 of them against me My rage must have still made an impression as I got the guy to do everything I told him to do.

I hope you get it all sorted out - I can imagine how you feel because I was there and I had the whole event running through my mind for awhile. I do love my cars and even have names for them .
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 01:27 AM   #18
mibmwx3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I know just how you feel. Someone did this to me about 20 years ago, and I still remember how sick I felt when I saw it. Good luck on the repair.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 02:53 AM   #19
toneus
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40d SE (on order)

Feel for you, made my blood boil just reading it! Only thing you can do is sit back and realise this person is one lonely sad freak who lives in abject misery. That said, even "respectable" folk do it:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...2703-31964944/

I had a brand new VW EOS once, bodywork immaculate. Was trading it back in to the dealer and some tw*t dinged the door the very day before. Cost me £250
      10-06-2012, 01:06 AM   #20
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Wow, so sorry to see that. If there was instant karma that guy would be walking around with no hands.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #21
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I visited a body shop Friday. Very clean. Got a good vibe from the owner. Assured me that the paint will absolutely match. This place was recommended to me by a friend who is as much a detailed person as I am. I was going to try the dealer's Collision shop thinking that they would be better at taking off/putting on all trim and painting but decided that I will go with the shop I went to first. Plus they are on the insurance co's list of guarenteed shops. Figure the car will go in a week from now and it will take a week to repair. I'm lucky enough to have rental coverage and there is a rental location right near the body shop so that eliminates leaning on friends for rides. Just the thought of ALL the trim that will be removed and replaced....hopefully I won't notice any misplaced items. will post a pic after it's done.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #22
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

I would suggest to you that you keep your "before" repair pictures of the scratch for resell. Many times a paint depth meter will be used to determine if the car has been in an accident. The repaired side will of course show a greater thickness than the non repaired side. This way you can show the limit of the damage if needed.
Appreciate 0