BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-20-2011, 01:00 AM   #1
QooQoo
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: X3 2.8i

Anyone purchased X Line for your X3

I purchased X3 from BMW Hong Kong dealer and included X Line packing in the order. According to the X Line Equipment Packages specification in page 60 of the BMW X3 booklet, it is explicitly stated that X Line includes: -

-side window frames,
-satinised Aluminium front and rear bumper inserts,
-door sills are in stainless steel and feature BMW lettering
-a stainless steel lugguage compartment loading sill

I took my X3 from the dealer last week and found that both front and rear bumper inserts are plastic and painted in silver (it looks really cheap). The door sills are also in plastic. I told the dealer this is not quite right but the dealer told me something like "What you see is what you get.... "

Can you tell me what's X Line spec in your country ?

Thank you all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 05:16 AM   #2
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Mine is plastic too. I realized this while cleaning the car yest.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

I believe they are all plastic for bumper inserts. On the bright side, it's not like someone is going to approach the car and touch them and say "hey it's plastic!"
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

If you like the X-line check out X-line pro http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc...l?proDsId=5100

Available Q4.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

What you describe is normal.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by QooQoo View Post

Can you tell me what's X Line spec in your country ?

Thank you all.
The US specification X-Line cars have the same piece of painted plastic as everyone else. When I purchased my X3 w/X-Line in Feb. the BMW USA website listed the X-Line package as including "Titanium" lower front and rear inserts. I didn't expect them to actually be made of titanium, but that the implied color would be some sort of titanium gray. They are, in fact, a satin aluminum color painted plastic that looks like it's been sandblasted.

It's rough enough that it can't be waxed or polished, so I use the same surface dressing on it that I use on the black bumper inserts and fender lip trim. (Eagle-1 Trim Protector Gel) This is the only surface treatment that seems to work well on the "aluminum" finish (for me).

The USA website has been updated and now just calls it a "insert on front fascia" with no reference to any metal.

This photo (from BMW USA) seems to show a polished metal insert. Mine looks nothing like the photo and is certainly not polished.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 03:49 AM   #7
QooQoo
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: X3 2.8i

According to the X Line Equipment Packages specification in page 60 of the BMW X3 booklet, it is explicitly stated the front and rear bumpers are in satinized aluminum !! The X Line package actually costed me US$2,000 extra in Hong Kong.

I won't settle with a silver-painted plastic, won't I ??
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 04:18 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by QooQoo View Post
According to the X Line Equipment Packages specification in page 60 of the BMW X3 booklet, it is explicitly stated the front and rear bumpers are in satinized aluminum !! The X Line package actually costed me US$2,000 extra in Hong Kong.

I won't settle with a silver-painted plastic, won't I ??
That's not what it says on the UK brochure or online

Quote:
Beautifully satinated Aluminium trim finishes the window recess covers and is integrated into the fairing under the doors. Titanium-look panels on the front bumper add unique character and, on the rear bumper, harmonise with the aluminium panels visible when the tailgate is raised. The door sills are in stainless steel and feature BMW lettering.
I wouldn't expect the actual bumper inserts to be metallic because the rest of the front bumper isn't metallic. It's plastic.

Agree with you that $2000USD is a lot however. xline costs about $800USD in the UK. That said, the plastic titanium-look front grilles cost $250USD here. No metal here either

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0