BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
heverlee
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

SW bug in X3

just back from my first year service and had this interesting finding:

the computer says the rear brake needs replacement after another ~1000miles while the X3 only have 8600miles. dealer inspected and had to reset the sensor saying it is a SW bug they see a lot in current X3s. no sure if anyone else experienced this.

Plus, when SA read out the infor from the key, the log says the following two things
- transmission warning at 3100 miles [which should be ~6000miles]
- flat tire at 5200miles [one tire got a nail two weeks ago at ~8000 miles]

there is literally 3k mile offset on the log, seems pretty weird.

one last thing is computer says I should have oil service at roughly 9500miles but I thought the mileage interval is 15k right?

regarding tires, discount tire told me the inner tread already wear more than the outter as there is no rotation. dealer inspected and say current wear is ok and they normally expect the pirelli P7 to last 15k-20k miles. SA also recommends an alignment at around 15k miles for $180. Guess I will do that in 7-8 months.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Mine had the computer glitch as well with the rear brakes. I have 12,500 on the X3 and it said I needed the rears replaced in 2,000 miles. When I went in for my oil change they said they reset the brake sensor and the brakes were actually fine and did not need changed in 2,000 miles. I have read of a couple others on here with the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
liverman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i

heverlee, what is the model year of your X3?

Regarding tire wear:
I have read a number of posts complaining about handling issues with the X3. Folks who have gotten an alignment report that has made a significant difference. I wonder if the tolerance for alignment from the factory is not as tight as it needs to be. If it is at the edge of the allowable range, then it would be easier to get out of spec with normal driving...

On my E83 X3, poor alignment caused the handling to be off and significantly increased rate of tire wear. I did not notice it until the tire wear caused road noise and by then the tires were toast. Your tire wear is a clear indicator of an alignment issue, even though your dealer says it's "OK".

Though it is not covered under the maintenance plan, I am going to get an annual alignment on my 2014 X3. The cost of that alignment is less than the cost of a tire.
      05-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
heverlee
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverman View Post
heverlee, what is the model year of your X3?

Regarding tire wear:
I have read a number of posts complaining about handling issues with the X3. Folks who have gotten an alignment report that has made a significant difference. I wonder if the tolerance for alignment from the factory is not as tight as it needs to be. If it is at the edge of the allowable range, then it would be easier to get out of spec with normal driving...

On my E83 X3, poor alignment caused the handling to be off and significantly increased rate of tire wear. I did not notice it until the tire wear caused road noise and by then the tires were toast. Your tire wear is a clear indicator of an alignment issue, even though your dealer says it's "OK".

Though it is not covered under the maintenance plan, I am going to get an annual alignment on my 2014 X3. The cost of that alignment is less than the cost of a tire.

Thanks for the advice. I had my 2013 F25 X3 for just a year. The tire is half way through already (~6/32) and I am expecting to replace tire in 6 months and will definitely do alignment with the new tire.
Appreciate 0