BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-17-2014, 06:18 PM   #1
solonor2011
Registered
Rep
Drives: Acura TSX

Question about X3's long term fit and finish

Hi guys,
My first post here. I'm considering buying a new car and deciding between X3 35i, Q5 TDI, and Macan S. We are a family of two (just me and my wife). We don't need a tone of space but we want an (sport) SUV.

I've already test drove all three and Q5 TDI is out. I hated the steering feel in that car. It was like the steering wheel was defective and not attached to anything. Interior was nice but a little bit dated though. The main thing I liked about Q5 was the diesel engine but the steering feel in that car killed it for me.

The final decision is between Macan S and X3 35i.

I really liked the way the Macan drives and I liked the interior fit and finish. Interior is high quality but it was a little bit too busy (with all the buttons). The infotainment is also dated. I liked the drive a lot and I'm willing to overlook these flaws. I also read every where that long term fit and finish in the porsche is top notch (not much rattles, etc in the long term).

I also drove an X3 35i. I liked the interior feel. I thought it was very modern. The drive (not as good as a Macan) was good. I liked the steering feel (not even comparable to the Q5 even in its dynamic/sport mode). I also think the car is more practical in terms of usable room, but as I said that's not a primary concern. In general, I thought it was a good middle ground between luxury and performance.

Now my question. I'm very concerned about fit and finish in the X3. I'm specifically concerned that rattles start to develop after the first 1000 miles. My experience with rattles is that the dealers usually can't fix them (in many cases they make it worse). I'm picky about rattles and squeaks and noises in the cabin.

I was hoping I can get some honest opinion on this thread about the long term fit and finish in the latest X3s. The interior rattles and noises usually kill the joy of driving a luxury car for me. How much should I be worried about this in X3?

P.S.: I know Macan S with options I want will cost 70k and X3 will cost around 57K. Plus, Macan is a very expensive car to maintain even during the warranty
period. But, let's say money was not an issue in making this decision.

Last edited by solonor2011; 10-17-2014 at 06:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by solonor2011 View Post
Hi guys,
My first post here. I'm considering buying a new car and deciding between X3 35i, Q5 TDI, and Macan S. ... The final decision is between Macan S and X3 35i. ... Now my question. I'm very concerned about fit and finish in the X3. I'm specifically concerned that rattles start to develop after the first 1000 miles. My experience with rattles is that the dealers usually can't fix them (in many cases they make it worse). I'm picky about rattles and squeaks and noises in the cabin. I was hoping I can get some honest opinion on this thread about the long term fit and finish in the latest X3s. The interior rattles and noises usually kill the joy of driving a luxury car for me. How much should I be worried about this in X3?...
Welcome to the X3 forum, solonor.

Having never driven a Macan model this will understandably be a biased reply. We have owned three model years of the X3 xDr35i (2011, 2012, and 2015), and I can objectively state based on this personal experience that we've never had an issue with wind noise, rattles, creaks, squeaks or any other form of intrusive interior cabin sounds. Others will probably chime in with their collective experience as well.

Good luck with your decision, and once again, welcome.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #3
solonor2011
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the reply. I searched the forum a little bit yesterday for complaints about rattles and other fit and finish issues and found a couple of threads about rattling in the liftgates and some people complained about excessive rode noise creeping in.

Based on your experience, it seems that these problems are not universal.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Welcome to the X3 forum, solonor.

Having never driven a Macan model this will understandably be a biased reply. We have owned three model years of the X3 xDr35i (2011, 2012, and 2015), and I can objectively state based on this personal experience that we've never had an issue with wind noise, rattles, creaks, squeaks or any other form of intrusive interior cabin sounds. Others will probably chime in with their collective experience as well.

Good luck with your decision, and once again, welcome.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 08:41 PM   #4
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

I too was concern with the fit and finish of BMW and rattles drive me nuts. Both my wife and daughter have had four bimmers between them and two developed window rattles. I pulled the trigger in 2011 on The F25. First rattle was from the trunk pull cover, but after awhile it settled down; haven't noticed it a couple of years. The other rattle was a intermittent driver window rattle. Of course never rattled with the dealer. Still comes and goes, but not bad.Just pasted the 50k mark and would say that overall the fit and finish is pretty good. As far as road noise I did notice an improvement when I changed tire from Bridgestones to the Pirelli P7.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2014, 09:58 PM   #5
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
I have a 2011 35i and it has a lift gate rattle that makes me insane (that the dealer can't find or fix & neither can I) and also the driver side window rattle that comes and goes. Everything else has been perfect but I do have to say that those two items detract from a great experience otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 10:10 PM   #6
solonor2011
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the info!

It seems that these two issues are common in X3s. I'm wondering if they are fixed in the newest model (2015)? Do people with the 2015s also have these issues or they are fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
I have a 2011 35i and it has a lift gate rattle that makes me insane (that the dealer can't find or fix & neither can I) and also the driver side window rattle that comes and goes. Everything else has been perfect but I do have to say that those two items detract from a great experience otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 10:31 PM   #7
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

2011 35i, 49K miles, no fit/finish issues.

Under warranty, I've had the rear hatch spindle drives replaced (grinding and not opening completely), the driver's side folding mirror replaced (grinding and slowing), and a hood latch replaced (false open alarm). Beyond that, it's been factory maintenance, which included oil changes, air filters, multiple wiper sets, and rear brakes. I'll miss having my front brakes replaced under warranty by about 1200 miles.

The road noise, which was acceptable with the factory Goodyear LS2s, has been reduced with the Pirelli Cinturato P7s which I recently replaced them with.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 02:10 AM   #8
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Have an X4 cross shopped with Macan, see this about Macan on current issues, fit finish issues Macan owners are suffering for the car was rushed it also failed the Moose test in Sweden ---> http://www.macanforum.com/forum/maca...cussion-forum/

Also check the X4 Forum
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 03:50 AM   #9
Chopper45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40d

Hi Solonor

You definitely need to have a look at the X4, you will not be dissapointed. My initial choice SQ5-Macan-X4..... X4 30D Msport it was. Good look with your choice
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 04:55 AM   #10
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

We too love our X3 and have recently looked at the X4.

The X3 has been our best ever car ever.... really pleased with it so much so that my wife is "scared" to change to an X4 in case it is not as good!!! - of course it will be but I understand - for us the X3 has been the perfect car - for cost, value, performance and make us feel great every time we get in it!!
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3

Last edited by plymjack; 10-19-2014 at 07:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #11
asinrute
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

[QUOTE]The X3 has been our best ever car ever.... really pleased with it so much so that my wife is "scared" to change to an X4 in case it is not as good!!! - of course it will be but I understand - for us the X3 has been the perfect car - for cost, value, performance and make us feel every time we get in it!!/QUOTE]

Our sentiment exactly, not a rattle or noise in 17,000 miles
      10-18-2014, 08:23 AM   #12
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

I bought an '11 X3 and drove it for 75kms w/o any issues, other than recall or technical service bulletin related issues (even then, only 2 or 3 times).

I've sold that car and picked up an m-sport version ('15) and love this one as well. Mind you it's only got a couple of hundred miles on it.

No regrets and NO cabin noises for either vehicle.
Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 08:53 AM   #13
Crash Test
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

I've had major sunroof issues (replaced but still creaks when cold), and the plastic panel around the AC pops when cold. In warm weather I don't have issues
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 08:55 AM   #14
bounderboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 LCI 2.0d X-Line

Not driven or owned an X3 yet so hard for me to comment of course - pick an X3 up next month all going well so hoping good experience.

If not in need of space and only two of you but want a sporty SUV - is that not the demographic for the X4?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #15
zagil9
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xdrive28i M Sport

I have one of the first production 2015 M Sports that came off the line, it has had no rattles, squeaks or otherwise. I'm at about 3,500 miles.

Past BMWs:
2011 E70 xDrive50i
2006 E90 330xi
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #16
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Thanks for the info!

It seems that these two issues are common in X3s. I'm wondering if they are fixed in the newest model (2015)? Do people with the 2015s also have these issues or they are fixed?
I would say its a isolated problem more than a common problem. Our 2013 has been rock solid, not one rattle what so ever. If money is an object, I would buy the Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 11:01 AM   #17
Sireal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 xDrive35i

Garage List
Smile No Rattle

Not a rattle to be heard in my 2014 X3 35 with over 26,000 miles on it
      10-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #18
solonor2011
Registered
Rep

Thanks everyone for the replies. It seems that people are mostly happy with their X3s especially the 2015 ones and the issues mentioned in this forum are rather isolated.

We've considered X4 but sadly my wife does not like the way it looks but at least she has no objections to the Macan and X3 M-sport

I know everything about Macan's issues (have probably read every post on the Macan forum ) and the moose test (there is also a similar consumer reports test) and that is why I'm hesitating a little about buying a just-released german car.

If I decide to get the Macan, I'll probably wait another 4 - 5 months until they fix the bugs (and may be release the 2016). If I decide to get an X3, I want to get it now, because I can get the best deals in the Fall for BMWs (Porsche dealers don't really negotiate on the price, so it doesn't matter when I go to them. They are always snobby!)

Last edited by solonor2011; 10-18-2014 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #19
jbc77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2013 X1 s28i

We have 40k miles on our 2012 X3. No rattles or squeaks.

Early on we had issues with the driver door creaking. Old BMW issue cause by silicone build up on the door seal. I fixed it by cleaning the surface with 3M silicone cleaner and lubricating the sealing surfaces with a BMW Teflon lubricant. (Carbaflow KSP105 P/N 83230309627). People used to use GummiPfledge but I understand BMW doesn't recommend it any more. Also, avoid the spray wax at the car wash. It contains silicone.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 10:52 PM   #20
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the replies. It seems that people are mostly happy with their X3s especially the 2015 ones and the issues mentioned in this forum are rather isolated.

We've considered X4 but sadly my wife does not like the way it looks but at least she has no objections to the Macan and X3 M-sport

I know everything about Macan's issues (have probably read every post on the Macan forum ) and the moose test (there is also a similar consumer reports test) and that is why I'm hesitating a little about buying a just-released german car.

If I decide to get the Macan, I'll probably wait another 4 - 5 months until they fix the bugs (and may be release the 2016). If I decide to get an X3, I want to get it now, because I can get the best deals in the Fall for BMWs (Porsche dealers don't really negotiate on the price, so it doesn't matter when I go to them. They are always snobby!)
You won't go wrong with either choice, liked the Macan but for me it came down to BMW has better tech, More space at the back, better fit and finish,better headroom, maintenance, preferred the X4 look,the bugs were too many on the Macan and lastly the gap between X4 and Macan too small from all reviews to justify the extra price.

Always wanted an X3 it's very spacious and fun, but are now everywhere. let us know what you decide.

Meanwhile check out this thread in the X4 forum was in your dilemma, interesting comments and some who ditched Macan and went back to bmw. Good luck! http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1038394

Last edited by Bimar; 10-18-2014 at 10:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 04:31 AM   #21
AlphaMendoza
Admiral
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI 20D

Quote:
Thanks for the info!

I have had the new LCI model (2.0D SE )for 5 months in UK now. 10,000 miles and still rock solid - no rattles or squeaks. Tyres can be noisy on some road surfaces. I have 17" Pirelli P7 non RFT. Build quality excellent!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 10:03 AM   #22
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Everyone has a different idea of what constitutes rattles, wind noise, or other discordant noise. Everyone also has a different idea of what passes as a well kept interior. I'll weigh in, as someone who has owned two X3s, one Q5, and will be taking delivery of a Macan S in a few weeks.

The first 2011 X3 I had was reasonably quiet (I had 18" rims on that one), though there was a persistent suspension clunk from the get-go. The interior began to show wrinkles on the seats and scuffs even in places that see little to no contact. Then the car started making weird noises from the center stack, the headliner, the tailgate, the doors, the seat belt mechanism, the window seals, and all the pillars. I demanded a new one, which I received with the 19" rims (dealer was nice enough to let me pick through the options I wanted for the trouble of the first car). This second car was fantastic on Day One. Then things began to creep back in. I've never been in a car so noisy with so few miles. The same problems I had with my first one reemerged, and I was stuck with it. My CPO A4 with now 44,000 miles (bought it at 22,000) is still quieter and emits less rattles and wind noise than my either of my X3s. I've driven about a dozen BMW loaners of different type, and I can tell you: there is a HUGE difference in interior quality from the E-series BMWs to the F-series. The materials look and feel nicer in the new cars, but they are not tied down. I'd rather have conservative design with exemplary build quality and tiny tolerances than the BMW way. Where the BMW feels clipped and glued together, other manufacturers like Mercedes, Audi, and Porsche feel soldered and screwed down.

In the meantime between my X3 and my Macan (gave the X3 up end lease in August), I've been driving a 2012 Q5 3.2 S-line. It may not be as fast or as nimble as the X3, but it sure feels a whole lot nicer to be in. Everything is so solid and quiet--it is beyond.

Enter: the Macan, a fusion of the Audi's solidity and build quality with BMW's driving excitement. My two test drives blew me away. The car is so quiet and the materials are on par with the Cayenne and the Panamera. I ordered the partial leather package, which gets you leather on the door handles and on top of the dash (among other places besides the seats). It really classes the car up. I'd say go for the 70k Macan. My X3 was also $57k when new, and my Macan rings at $72k, so we have similar specs. If you're not feeling as willing to spend, go check out an SQ5 and save a few grand.

Don't get me wrong (and others have heard all this before) the X3 was a thrill to drive, just not to own. Time will tell if the Macan holds up, but if the Q5 is any indication, I think it'll last a while before wear and tear take their toll.

Bear in mind: it is very rare for someone to have two of the same car with the same exact issues built a year apart. It is my understanding that the 2015s are nicer, though I sat in one and all the plastic panels still creaked and clicked when I pressed on them and the nearby buttons. I assume BMW has worked out some issues. Take a look around other parts of the forum. There was a guy a while back who took his 6-series and X3 doors apart to find that the 6-er had a decent amount of insulation, while the X3 had absolutely ZERO. Don't let BMW convince you that you're too stupid to notice these things. The first X3 was borderline hardcore in typical BMW fashion, so people took noises with a grain of salt because it was so fun to drive. Not so with the new BMW. You want a luxury car from BMW? Be prepared to spend a lot more. If you want the information, it's out there for you.

Good luck. Hope you'll be Macan the right choice
Appreciate 0