BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-24-2012, 03:30 AM   #1
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Connecteddrive App Issue (Iphone and Android)

Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me.
The 'My BMW Remote' app seems to perform very poorly. I've tried it on Android (Samsung Galaxy S2 ICS) and my wifes Iphone. I try the Vehicle location and it worked once, but now I don't get the location info. The other app functions don't seem to work either i.e. Flash Lights.
Any ideas how I can find out what the problem is?
I presume the app sends the request to BMW servers, which then forward the request to the X3 (which must have an always on data connection).

I'm stumped :

BTW- if the X3 is always data connected, is there a way to disable it to avoid a flat battery, if its parked for a long time i.e. one month.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 04:43 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Does Google Local Search => Send to Car still work OK for you? That’s all I really use My BMW Remote for and I know that it’s still working with iPhone 4 + iOS6. If vehicle position is telling you the car’s location or that the car is too far away, then the car is correctly transmitting its GPS coordinates – this works OK for me on iOS6 too. Not sure on flashing lights but will check later

I agree that it must be a drain on the battery to listen for the SIM to “listen”. There are some other drains too like listening for the key, the alarm etc. I don’t think you can disconnect the battery because you’ll get problems when you reconnect – I think BMW have to calibrate it or something. I also don’t think you can switch of the SIM access because it’s part of the SOS BMW Assist functionality. Buying a trickle charger is another option but not always practical

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 05:25 AM   #3
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

As I mentioned I managed to get the GPS location of the car once, but not since. When it did work it showed my location, and the cars location on a google map. When I'm testing the car is on the street approx 30mtrs away.

Just been doing some more testing, and the car location has reappeared. I've tried sending a location from Goggle Local Search, I've also send from my desktop PC.

Does the car need to 'wake up' with an initial request?

I'll check the X3 when it stops throwing it down with rain

SFAX- do you get the option for sounding the horn. Option does not appear on my app (android or iphone). Is this set on a per country basis?

Last edited by philtrick123; 09-24-2012 at 05:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 05:59 AM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
As I mentioned I managed to get the GPS location of the car once, but not since. When it did work it showed my location, and the cars location on a google map. When I'm testing the car is on the street approx 30mtrs away.

Just been doing some more testing, and the car location has reappeared. I've tried sending a location from Goggle Local Search, I've also send from my desktop PC.

Does the car need to 'wake up' with an initial request?

I'll check the X3 when it stops throwing it down with rain

SFAX- do you get the option for sounding the horn. Option does not appear on my app (android or iphone). Is this set on a per country basis?
It does have to wake up, yes. Takes about 1 min to wake up. If you stand by the car, you can hear a little tick as it starts to boot up. If you send a command soon after locking, it's still awake and it will respond quickly in about 20-30 seconds.

I used to get the sound horn option but they cruelly took it away . Not sure why.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 06:00 AM   #5
vojak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 Competition Xdrive

I get options to precondition the car, lock/unlock and flash headlights.
Initially the app didnt work as it got confused with my previous car but a quick call to BMW assist sorted the account out.
Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 06:14 AM   #6
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

I've noticed that the app (on Andriod) seems to get stuck when it's sent a command. Is the app waiting for confirmation that the command has completed? Eventually it allows another command to be executed.

How long does the car stay 'awake' once its started up?

Still waiting for it to stop raining
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
I've noticed that the app (on Andriod) seems to get stuck when it's sent a command. Is the app waiting for confirmation that the command has completed? Eventually it allows another command to be executed.

How long does the car stay 'awake' once its started up?

Still waiting for it to stop raining
Mine has a busy icon whilst it's waiting (e.g. when you request the car's locaton and it's waiting for the car to respond).

I think the car stays awake for at least a few minutes but not sure

Appreciate 0