BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-29-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Leak!!

Pouring rain earlier this morning. Driving along and felt a drop on my foreheard. Took me about 3 intersections to figure out where it was coming from....the small "speaker" grille above my head, next to the sun visor!

Anyway, headliner was soaked and relatively large amount of water coming out of that grille (bluetooth/voice grille).

Decided to drop by the dealership right away, no appointment. Happened to run into the shop foreman - wanted the car right away so no further damage would occur to the headliner. Said it would be fixed by this evening.

Gave me a loaner and I was home within the hour. Great guys at bmw mississauga I must say.

Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Hope things get fixed quickly!
      11-29-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Did the shop guy have any idea where the water was entering the roof?
Do you have a sunroof?

That small grill is for the microphone, so there are some electronics in the area. Hope they dry it thoroughly.
Moisture damage to low-level electronics like microphones and mic pre-amps can often take some time to develop. You may want to test the phone system after a few day to confirm that there is no long-term damage from corrosion.

Last edited by Lotus7; 11-29-2011 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Actually Lotus, the foreman was pretty thorough in the initial "investigation" and even VOLUNTEERED to say that there were some electrical "items" up there and that once the leak had been resolved, they would test everything quite thoroughly....BUT, I will definitely heed your advice and check for myself over the next few days. Thanks for the tip!

Oh...yes I have the pano / glass roof and no obvious indication where water might have come in. The roof was nicely closed, so I'm stumped where it got in. I'll re-post once I pick up the car...details should be on the invoice.

Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #5
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Marien View Post
Actually Lotus, the foreman was pretty thorough in the initial "investigation" and even VOLUNTEERED to say that there were some electrical "items" up there and that once the leak had been resolved, they would test everything quite thoroughly....BUT, I will definitely heed your advice and check for myself over the next few days. Thanks for the tip!

Oh...yes I have the pano / glass roof and no obvious indication where water might have come in. The roof was nicely closed, so I'm stumped where it got in. I'll re-post once I pick up the car...details should be on the invoice.

Dave
Sounds like they're "on top of it", but moisture damage to electronics can sometimes take a while to develop so it's something to keep an eye on. Even if you don't use the phone function much, you don't want to find it doesn't work when you need it.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
Hutt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3

please keep us posted as to what they said was wrong. A week or so before my steering issue, I too noticed a drip on my forehead, and deduced it came from that bluetooth speaker. The headliner was not seemingly wet around it, but it happened twice. Never gave it much thought after that becasue the steering issue took my mind away from anything else. When I got my car back, the bluetooth was horribly bad quality. The other person on the line repeatedly would comment that they could barely hear me, or there was a ton of static. Being that they updated the software, I tried to unpair, and repair my phone, played with the microphone volumes, etc., and it still gave me an issue, but then all of the sudden it started working correctly again a few days later. It's been fine for about 3 days now. We have a ton of rain over the pst day and a half, and when entering the car i have noticed one drip on the driver seat, but not until after I have opened the door, so I wasn't certain it was there, or it happened when the door was opened.I will look at it much more closely now.
So true what you said Lotus7 about the electronics. I, until now, had not put those possible pieces together as the drip was a distant memory I forgot about until reading your post. Keep us updated with what the issue was.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 08:35 AM   #7
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Picked up the car last evening. This is from the work order:

Complaint: Roof leak looked at by Dan on drivers side.

Cause: Roof water drain hose clogged

Correction: Removed & re-installed left side headliner. Cleaned drain and secured rubber hose with cable tie. Sprayed significant amount of water around the area with high pressure washer and ran the vehicle through our car wash as well. No further leaking found at this time. Removed and replaced bluetooth mic. Audio tested ok.

So...all in all pretty quick solution and even somewhat proactive (mic)! Can't complain about these folks at the dealership....they can be pretty awesome most of the time

Dave
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #8
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Sounds like good service.

What is a "roof water drain hose" and where is it located?
      11-30-2011, 08:01 PM   #9
MTH
MTH
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2012

roof water drains are located on each corner of the sunroof ,they have hoses attached to them , that's where the water drain off. One of the hoses must have come loose which cause the water to run inside to the headliner.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
clarka@csolve.net
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 with M Sport

We discovered a leak through the driver side bluetooth mic after returning from holiday in February. It only dripped a couple of times but the headliner 2 inches around it was saturated. We brought it in to the dealer and were told that the roof drains were clear.

Last week there was an extreme weather change; warm to snowing and the same thing happened again. I picked it up tonight and was told again that the drain hoses were clear and there was only a drip after a high pressure wash; (I was told this was normal!)

I'm getting frustrated and am not confident that it won't happen again when the weather changes. I am also concerned about the bluetooth being damaged; (working fine for now) and must/mold in the headliner. Any suggestions?
      04-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarka@csolve.net View Post
We discovered a leak through the driver side bluetooth mic after returning from holiday in February. It only dripped a couple of times but the headliner 2 inches around it was saturated. We brought it in to the dealer and were told that the roof drains were clear.

Last week there was an extreme weather change; warm to snowing and the same thing happened again. I picked it up tonight and was told again that the drain hoses were clear and there was only a drip after a high pressure wash; (I was told this was normal!)

I'm getting frustrated and am not confident that it won't happen again when the weather changes. I am also concerned about the bluetooth being damaged; (working fine for now) and must/mold in the headliner. Any suggestions?
They told you it was "normal" for a car to leak???!! What freaking planet are these people from??! I'd be pissed and wouldn't accept that answer. Can you go above their heads to the Regional manager or try a different dealer?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #12
clarka@csolve.net
Private
Canada
Rep

That will be our next step if/when it leaks again. Fingers and toes crossed it will not happen again! This is our first BMW and although we love it, we expected better quality. Never had leaks in our Nissans!

On the positive side, the dealer washed our car, gave us some nice java, reprogrammed the throttle lag bulletin, and got to ride in a fancy 7 series courtesy car.
      04-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #13
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Hey clarka, not to jack this thread but can you provide your feedback on the throttle lag bulletin?

Quote:
That will be our next step if/when it leaks again. Fingers and toes crossed it will not happen again! This is our first BMW and although we love it, we expected better quality. Never had leaks in our Nissans!

On the positive side, the dealer washed our car, gave us some nice java, reprogrammed the throttle lag bulletin, and got to ride in a fancy 7 series courtesy car.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #14
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:

Try another dealership.....
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #15
clarka@csolve.net
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh
Hey clarka, not to jack this thread but can you provide your feedback on the throttle lag bulletin?

Quote:

I only drove it for a bit on the highway afterwards and automatically put in it in sport mode as I always do. I will have to drive it in town in normal mode before I can comment on its effect.
      04-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #16
clarka@csolve.net
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth12468
Quote:

Try another dealership.....
We weren't able to get the deal we wanted at Georgian BMW in Barrie; maybe we can't get the service there either! We bought from Open Road BMW in Newmarket over the phone and could bring it back there for service if it leaks again. Wish it wasn't so inconvenient though!
      04-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #17
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Open Road BMW is DOA. It has been sold. I heard a lot of bitching about the level of service there.

Quote:
We weren't able to get the deal we wanted at Georgian BMW in Barrie; maybe we can't get the service there either! We bought from Open Road BMW in Newmarket over the phone and could bring it back there for service if it leaks again. Wish it wasn't so inconvenient though!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #18
clarka@csolve.net
Private
Canada
Rep

Well, we had another substantial rainfall and our FOURTH driver side blue tooth leak! We took it into the dealer for the fourth time and waited an hour to be told that they couldn't book it in for another week! Meanwhile, we have it parked in the drive facing uphill hoping that the rain will flow through the rear drains and not through our blue tooth! So far the blue tooth is working fine but I am concerned about mold in the headliner.

How embarrassing to arrive at your destination in a $60 000 vehicle with wet pants! This is our first BMW; never had any leaks in our Nissan's, Chrysler's, or Mazda's! Fortunately we still LOVE everything else about the vehicle. Time to show some tough love to the service manager!
      06-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #19
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Well, we had another substantial rainfall and our FOURTH driver side blue tooth leak! We took it into the dealer for the fourth time and waited an hour to be told that they couldn't book it in for another week! Meanwhile, we have it parked in the drive facing uphill hoping that the rain will flow through the rear drains and not through our blue tooth! So far the blue tooth is working fine but I am concerned about mold in the headliner.

How embarrassing to arrive at your destination in a $60 000 vehicle with wet pants! This is our first BMW; never had any leaks in our Nissan's, Chrysler's, or Mazda's! Fortunately we still LOVE everything else about the vehicle. Time to show some tough love to the service manager!
Wow, I'd be pissed! Fourth leak??!! I'd want to lemon the darn thing!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #20
clarka@csolve.net
Private
Canada
Rep

No lemon law in Canada!
      06-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #21
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Where is Goldhawk when you need him?

Oh ya here he is...http://zoomerradio.ca/dale-goldhawk/
      06-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #22
clarka@csolve.net
Private
Canada
Rep

We got our car back from the dealer Friday after it had been pulled apart and pressure washed from every angle. Just like the last 3 times it was in; the leak could not be duplicated.

A call was made from the dealer to BMW Canada and apparently it is a problem with the position of a sunroof seal. It was "repositioned" and we had a dry car the morning after a significant rainfall.

Hopefully it is fixed for good now!