BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-18-2014, 06:47 PM   #1
wizardlee
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3

Engine exhaust extractor/header/manifold rust

Hi

Just recently picked up my brand new 2014 X3 xDrive 20d (2Litre Diesel). I'm from Australia.

And I've noticed the entire exhaust extractor/manifold/header or whatever its called is completely covered in rust. Now, I'm not sure whether this is the way its supposed to be, cause when I go to touch it, its like theres a layer of degreaser on it as well? I've attached a few pictures to show you what i mean.

I have spoken to my dealer and he says there are other 20ds in his showroom with exactly the same issue. I then went to take a look at other x3's in other dealerships and there was a 30d in the showroom which had the same issue. I spoke to one of their mechanics and they said its normal cause that particular component is part of the turbo system and runs extremely hot so is coated with something that generates that rust.

Is there any one else out there that has seen this in their x3 and can validate BMW's claims? Just seems odd that a 60-100k car can be fitted with a component that is covered in rust?

Regards
Wziard
Attached Images

Appreciate 0