BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-02-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
TrikinCurt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral Silver

Media Adapter in Action

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

That is cool. I am envious. Thanks for sharing

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
TrikinCurt
Private First Class
Rep

Just got the adapter this morning. To be honest I am not sure I get the point, the iPod out interface doesn't bring enough to get me excited. It has some glitches still but I guess it is like BMW apps, just banking on the future.

Now the fact I took the pics with a nikon d80, had them copy wirelessly to my iPad, then uploaded to photo bucket all from my BMW, that is cool!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I think it will take time but there will be some pretty useful apps. Certainly better to have it than not. Shame I missed out

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
carlili4190
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Nissan 350Z, 11 BMW X3

I'm assuming by the picture that it is impossible to fit the phone in with a case... Is that correct or is there a little wiggle room?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
TrikinCurt
Private First Class
Rep

Ya, I had to take the bumper off my phone to get it to fit. Not sure how I feel about the whole thing yet, if it offers anything over a USB cable. It is easy to get in and out of the adapter though.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #7
Palpak
Canada
Rep
Drives: WX53 - X3 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrikinCurt View Post
Just got the adapter this morning. To be honest I am not sure I get the point, the iPod out interface doesn't bring enough to get me excited. It has some glitches still but I guess it is like BMW apps, just banking on the future.

Now the fact I took the pics with a nikon d80, had them copy wirelessly to my iPad, then uploaded to photo bucket all from my BMW, that is cool!
Did you install the adpater yourself? My dealer told me it will be about $CAD1,200.00 (all in) for the media adpater. I'm not sure if it's DIY installation....
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
TrikinCurt
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palpak View Post
Did you install the adpater yourself? My dealer told me it will be about $CAD1,200.00 (all in) for the media adpater. I'm not sure if it's DIY installation....
Funny, I mean, I had the option where it was setup for one, I assume you have that? If so, pop out the blank and push it in, took less than 15 seconds. So $1200 would make way more than the car did for your dealer!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
Palpak
Canada
Rep
Drives: WX53 - X3 xDrive28i

Thanks. That's what I thought considering the adapter is only about $190.00...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

How did you get the video to play? I'm missing something. Can you play a video podcast?
      05-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #11
ovrdriv
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i -Space Gray

My X3 35 was built one week before the 6NR was available. However I do have 6NF, Nav, smart phone int and the cradle. I saw the iphone 4 media adapter at dealer. They want $268 for the adapter (US). I never was interested in video, only in other uses for the iphone. Disappointed that you can't get text or email with apple. Does anyone know what I would gain by using the adapter rather than the USB other than charging and antena? I heard it will play music off iphone but it plays songs in alpha order even if they are not that way in your play list.
Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 12:40 AM   #12
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrdriv View Post
My X3 35 was built one week before the 6NR was available. However I do have 6NF, Nav, smart phone int and the cradle. I saw the iphone 4 media adapter at dealer. They want $268 for the adapter (US). I never was interested in video, only in other uses for the iphone. Disappointed that you can't get text or email with apple. Does anyone know what I would gain by using the adapter rather than the USB other than charging and antena? I heard it will play music off iphone but it plays songs in alpha order even if they are not that way in your play list.
Thanks for your help.
The alpha order playback bug is specific to music that is transferred to the car's internal HDD. This doesn't happen when you play music using an external device like an iPhone.

There's no point getting a media adapter if you don't have 6NR IMO. All it gives you over a music adapter is artwork, and I wouldn't bother with a music adapter wither because using a white USB cable gives you more functionality wrt music playback. Spend the money for the media cable on an iPod and keep it in the car and use that for your music.

Last edited by sfax; 05-03-2011 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: for clarity
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 05:39 AM   #13
ovrdriv
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i -Space Gray

sfax. Thanks for your response. I tend to agree with you until the time (if there is one) when BMW figures out how to software upgrade those with 6NF to 6NR and/or allow the office functionality (text and email) to work with iphones.
Meanwhile the cradle has no use. Is there a way to remove it safely and reinstal it if the 6NR upgrade becomes available. I don't any warranty issues.
Thnanks
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 05:52 AM   #14
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
sfax. Thanks for your response. I tend to agree with you until the time (if there is one) when BMW figures out how to software upgrade those with 6NF to 6NR and/or allow the office functionality (text and email) to work with iphones.
Meanwhile the cradle has no use. Is there a way to remove it safely and reinstal it if the 6NR upgrade becomes available. I don't any warranty issues.
Thnanks
I'm hoping for a third party retrofit for 6NR (there is already at least one retrofit DIY kit for 6NR for X5s and X6s) but I am also missing 6NF which will make it more difficult and more expensive for me.

Re. removing, I'm not sure but might try to remove mine if I find that the signal boost isn't worth having (this is all the cradle is giving me). Need to do some experimenting but will post feedback if I remove it

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 06:53 AM   #15
guitarpath
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 35i

Quote:
Disappointed that you can't get text or email with apple.
Is this true? I thought that the BMW Office (with email and text) will appear on the iDrive screen via an iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 06:58 AM   #16
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpath View Post
Is this true? I thought that the BMW Office (with email and text) will appear on the iDrive screen via an iPhone.
BMW Office definitely doesn't work with any iPhone. It's apparently an iPhone Bluetooth interface limitation so unless Apple change it, it will never work

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #17
guitarpath
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 35i

Well, that sucks. Any hope Apple will change this when the next iPhone comes out in the fall?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 07:21 AM   #18
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

You'll have to check out the preview of OS 5.0 and see if that's supported.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #19
CdnE90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i, 11 X3 x35 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
There's no point getting a media adapter if you don't have 6NR IMO.
What does 6NR add then if using an iPhone? I see from other posts here that you don't get text or email, but do you get Facebook? I think you also get web radio and video playback, right?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #20
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnE90 View Post
What does 6NR add then if using an iPhone? I see from other posts here that you don't get text or email, but do you get Facebook? I think you also get web radio and video playback, right?
It opens up a lot of potential because it means other developers can write apps that you can then use in your BMW. There aren't that many useful apps out there now, perhaps Pandora, but it's still very new and I'm sure that picture will change. I wouldn't hesitate to add 6NR if ordering now

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #21
bekind
Private
Rep
Drives: x3 35i

we also added 6NR and neither my wife nor I have an iPhone. My line of thinking is this will keep the door open for future Android apps as well as apple apps. Plus, from what we know now adding 6NR functionality later is not possible. Granted that will more than likely change too as more product comes to market and devs have had a chance to hack the X3 iDrive code and manipulate as needed.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 11:58 AM   #22
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijioben View Post
You'll have to check out the preview of OS 5.0 and see if that's supported.
Call me pessimistic but I don't think it will be because the Bluetooth technology required (effectively just a file transfer protocol as I understand it) has been on mobile phones since at least 2004 but Apple has never included it on any iPhone model. I've seen quite a few people complain to Apple on forums that they used to be able to send and receive SMS through a laptop using older model mobile phones and Bluetooth but can't do this with an iPhone.

I've written off any chance of this happening but I might be pleasantly surprised....

Appreciate 0