BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-12-2020, 01:02 PM   #1
fastsoup
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i M Sport

Very odd misfire

Hey Folks,

I have an odd case on my hands. 2011 X3 35i with 175k kilometres on the clock. Plugs replaced at 100k with OEM plugs. About 10k kilometers ago I had a few blips in throttle and the check engine light came on. I scanned and got multiple misfire and cyl 6 misfire. I took the plug/coil and moved them to cyl 2 and put cyl 2 into cyl 6. I went back out for a drive and sure enough engine light came on, scanned and the misfire had moved to cyl 2. Purchased a coil, replaced it...no issues since.

Last week...same deal...blip blip blip (car has warmed up) under good amount of throttle. Scanned (worried it might be 6) and sure enough it was 6 again. Took 6 plug/coil and swapped with 1. Went back out for a drive...car was fine until about 25 mins later (warmed up). And it began to misfire again. Scanned this time and it was still cyl 6

This morning I took out all the plugs...they all looked fine for having 75k kilometres on them. Even brown glaze...no charring. I cleaned them all up with brake cleaner, wiped them down, installed randomly with coils, but made sure newest coil went to cyl 6. Went back out for a 15 min drive and all was good.

With all that said, why do I have a feeling I'm being plagued by the cyl 6 injector issue that's happened to a few with the N55 motor.

Any idea's?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 02:03 PM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastsoup View Post
Hey Folks,

I have an odd case on my hands. 2011 X3 35i with 175k kilometres on the clock. Plugs replaced at 100k with OEM plugs. About 10k kilometers ago I had a few blips in throttle and the check engine light came on. I scanned and got multiple misfire and cyl 6 misfire. I took the plug/coil and moved them to cyl 2 and put cyl 2 into cyl 6. I went back out for a drive and sure enough engine light came on, scanned and the misfire had moved to cyl 2. Purchased a coil, replaced it...no issues since.

Last week...same deal...blip blip blip (car has warmed up) under good amount of throttle. Scanned (worried it might be 6) and sure enough it was 6 again. Took 6 plug/coil and swapped with 1. Went back out for a drive...car was fine until about 25 mins later (warmed up). And it began to misfire again. Scanned this time and it was still cyl 6

This morning I took out all the plugs...they all looked fine for having 75k kilometres on them. Even brown glaze...no charring. I cleaned them all up with brake cleaner, wiped them down, installed randomly with coils, but made sure newest coil went to cyl 6. Went back out for a 15 min drive and all was good.

With all that said, why do I have a feeling I'm being plagued by the cyl 6 injector issue that's happened to a few with the N55 motor.

Any idea's?
Read through this post, he had similar issues and what you read may help you.. .. https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1708354
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 04:06 PM   #3
fastsoup
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Read through this post, he had similar issues and what you read may help you.. .. https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1708354
Thanks for that...I went through it...I don't have the same symptoms. My idle is fine, my throttle response is good...WOT in Sport mode is extremely quick. The only symptom is the occasional misfire that's been happening in Cyl 6.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m5kx7bjo62n19jn/IMG_20200612_075107.jpg?dl=0

That's the number 6cyl plug...the others look the same.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 04:35 PM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for that...I went through it...I don't have the same symptoms. My idle is fine, my throttle response is good...WOT in Sport mode is extremely quick. The only symptom is the occasional misfire that's been happening in Cyl 6.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m5kx7bjo62...75107.jpg?dl=0

That's the number 6cyl plug...the others look the same.
Plug your scanned codes into this website because it tends to give more info than a scanner does and the "view" links show what conditions must be met which in turn gives you more places to look for the issue.

https://bmwfault.codes
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 04:44 PM   #5
fastsoup
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Plug your scanned codes into this website because it tends to give more info than a scanner does and the "view" links show what conditions must be met which in turn gives you more places to look for the issue.

https://bmwfault.codes
Thanks! Should he helpful
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 09:49 PM   #6
fastsoup
Enlisted Member
Rep

So the car has been running fine today with no blips at all under 75% throttle. I decided to scan the car anyway and 3 stored codes:

108001 - Intake electrical short circuit positive

140011 - Misfiring - injection cut

108932 - intake:group error

I ran them in the BMW code site and I'm a little confused on the intake code...could that be something that's causing a misfire? My idle is great...no hesitation...just the occasional throttle blips followed by check engine light sometimes if I keep my throttle down long enough.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 06:10 PM   #7
fastsoup
Enlisted Member
Rep

So the wife went out...under heavy throttle she noticed blips in response followed by engine light. I scanned it when she got home and following codes:

140010 - misfire several cylinders

140310 - cylinder 3 misfire recognized

140001 - combustion misfires, a plurality of cylinders: injection is switched off

140301 - misfiring cyl 3: fuel injection is switched off

140011 - misfiring: injection cut

So my thoughts now would be to purchase a new coil for cyl 3 and go from there...any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 07:05 AM   #8
eDubz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

I'd replace all 6 coils.

2013 X3 35i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 08:31 AM   #9
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So the wife went out...under heavy throttle she noticed blips in response followed by engine light. I scanned it when she got home and following codes:

140010 - misfire several cylinders

140310 - cylinder 3 misfire recognized

140001 - combustion misfires, a plurality of cylinders: injection is switched off

140301 - misfiring cyl 3: fuel injection is switched off

140011 - misfiring: injection cut

So my thoughts now would be to purchase a new coil for cyl 3 and go from there...any suggestions?
Looks like this is a cat and mouse chase game, like another poster had said, it wasn't until he replaced all the coils that the issue went away. You have enough miles on your car for your coils to have seen better days and now, possibly, one by one, they will take their turns being intermittent and cause you a lot of frustration as you try to figure out whats going on. They have seen a lot of heating and cooling cycles on your car. You can get all six coils for around $150 at FCP Euro, $135 at AutohausAZ or $100 on Amazon. I believe if I had the issues, that's what I would do and if that doesn't resolve it I would look at it as a preventive move because sooner or later you're going to need them.
Appreciate 0