BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-24-2017, 10:30 AM   #1
yyz1989
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 s18d 2013

Can a car with OEM part (clutch) fulfill official timing chain replacement recall?

Hey there,

I am new in the forum and looking for to some ideas and thoughts in terms of timing chain issue.

I purchased a BMW X3 s18d (F25, N47D20C), 2013, 120k km a few months ago, and just acknowledged that there is this timing chain issue. Apparently mine has not suffer from it yet, and I really cannot diagnose the problem by just listening to the sound of the motor. I know that there is a recall and I probably can get it replaced, but I have not yet requested it.

Then, just during the past days when I was wondering about this timing chain issue, I broke my clutch by climbing up a long and curvy slope slowly with clutch half engaged. I went to the bmw dealer for a diagnosis, and was offered a replacement work of both clutch kit and flywheel with 2600 euro. I also checked other workshops and got an offer of 1100 euro, where clutch kit and flywheel is Luk instead of BMW. I have the tendency to take the cheaper option due to financial reasons, but I am afraid that after such a replacement, BMW will no longer offer a free replacement for timing chain within the scope of goodwill. Apart from that, my car has full service record at BMW and has never been repaired for any reason during the past 4 years.

So now my question is that, is full service record at BMW the only requirement for applying for the goodwill recall? Has anyone got your timing chain replaced by the recall successfully even with non-genuine BMW parts installed on your car? I was just wondering that BMW can find out that I have installed Luk stuff only after opening the gearbox, but replacing timing chains does not require opening gearbox.

Thank you very much for any suggestion or hint!

Best regards,
Yang
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #2
BODBR01
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 M-Sport

Timing chain on N20 motors

You can search this forum for numerous threads around the infamous timing chain failures with the N20. However in the big picture, it is only a very small percentage as well.

To my knowledge, BMW has not 'declared' this a recall item. If they would, it would make allot of people very happy. Also look for the numerous experiences people have experienced with the timing chain. If you have an extended warranty, like myself, you're covered. Allot of people are hoping BMW will make it a recall.

Also several threads on participating gin 'class action' lawsuit over it as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 04:37 PM   #3
yyz1989
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 s18d 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BODBR01 View Post
You can search this forum for numerous threads around the infamous timing chain failures with the N20. However in the big picture, it is only a very small percentage as well.

To my knowledge, BMW has not 'declared' this a recall item. If they would, it would make allot of people very happy. Also look for the numerous experiences people have experienced with the timing chain. If you have an extended warranty, like myself, you're covered. Allot of people are hoping BMW will make it a recall.

Also several threads on participating gin 'class action' lawsuit over it as well.
Hey bro, thanks a lot for the reply! Yeah, I have looked into quite some threads about such discussions, some are successful, some failed. But I have not yet found any similar case to mine, probably because they do not need to mention if they have changed any parts.

The problematic engines are a small percentage, that's very true, but I am really afraid to become the numerator in a fraction. It's a 4.5 years old car and just outside of warranty period. I doubt if the timing chain is dying and it will finally suck in my hands. Then I myself is screwed...
Appreciate 0